The Student Room Group

Few questions...

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a campus based university, such as Lancaster or Warwick?

What universities have a bland social side to themselves?

What stereotypes are associated with each of the UK's universities?

If I do a science degree do I have to work in a lab or a science related job? The very idea of working in a lab all day for the rest of my life scares me

Do I have to declare all grades on UCAS? Can I put only an AS grade instead of the whole A2?

And I know this may seem stupid, but how do universities differentiate between candidates which have met their requirements?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by TwistShake

All 115 of them? This is going to end well...
Reply 2
Original post by Norton1
All 115 of them? This is going to end well...

Woops, sorry - I just wanted a general idea of what Uni's to avoid.
Reply 3

Do I have to declare all grades on UCAS? Can I put only an AS grade instead of the whole A2?

And I know this may seem stupid, but how do universities differentiate between candidates which have met their requirements?

You have to declare the overall exam grades you've received. So, for your AS levels Biology, you will have to say the grade overall, B. Then give the names and grades received in each unit, if your retaking a unit you can put pending. So, unit 1 - A, unit 2 - pending unit 3 - pending. If you have taken your A2 exams and have received a result for it, you must put it down. If your retaking it, just put pending. Uni's have access to all your exam results, its in your best interest to put the grades down correctly.

They score each part of your application. So your personal statement will get a score out of 10 etc. Then usually whoever pass's their cut-off score, they get interviews. Then comments and scores in your interview enable them to offer people interviews. I am a med student, this is how my process went - as i know it, but we had a entrance exam to do before.
Reply 4
Original post by Mobs25
You have to declare the overall exam grades you've received. So, for your AS levels Biology, you will have to say the grade overall, B. Then give the names and grades received in each unit, if your retaking a unit you can put pending. So, unit 1 - A, unit 2 - pending unit 3 - pending. If you have taken your A2 exams and have received a result for it, you must put it down. If your retaking it, just put pending. Uni's have access to all your exam results, its in your best interest to put the grades down correctly.

They score each part of your application. So your personal statement will get a score out of 10 etc. Then usually whoever pass's their cut-off score, they get interviews. Then comments and scores in your interview enable them to offer people interviews. I am a med student, this is how my process went - as i know it, but we had a entrance exam to do before.

Hopefully I don't get a B in biology... :colondollar:

+ Ah right, I see... this is going to be much more harder than I first imagined
Reply 5
Hopefully I don't get a B in biology... :colondollar:

+ Ah right, I see... this is going to be much more harder than I first imagined

lol just using B as you would want to retake if u do. hopefully you wont.

If I do a science degree do I have to work in a lab or a science related job? The very idea of working in a lab all day for the rest of my life scares me

It depends on what kind of science degree... but in reality you will be doing some sort of lab work regardless of which science degree. You would be wise to show some experience - mainly so it makes your application looked more attractive. Some of my friends helped out at the colleges lab, gaining experience and some exam help in the practicals too. Plus be ready to do loads of coursework/dissertations... they do that in all science based degrees now!
Reply 6
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a campus based university, such as Lancaster or Warwick?

What universities have a bland social side to themselves?

1. I personally prefer campus unis, as everything is in the same place and easily reached. Downsides are generally specific to the uni.

2. Can't really answer this specifically, but I would assume the ones in smaller cities and out of the city have less nightlife ect.

3. Can't answer. Also, a stupid thing to base a decision to go to uni on, as a stereotype is exactly that. It is generally a biased view of the uni and not truthful.

4. No.

5. You have to declare every grade you achieve.

6. Personal statement, work experience (sometimes), references.
Reply 7
:cry: thank you guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending