The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

either they havent met the right person yet, or they are ugly and can never get anyone lol
amie
Isn't it possible that someone who lost their virginity at a young age did find someone special, and it did have meaning? You seem to be saying that it can't have meaning unless you've waited ages for it.

Noones saying that its' IMPOSSIBLE but you grow up a hell of a lot between say 16 (before which its illegal remember) and 21, and really, any younger than that is often to young to really know your heart.

If you find "the one" when you're young thats fantastic. I was 16 when i first got with my bf but was 17, nearly 18 when we first made love. We had the chance before then, but we chose to pass it up. The fact we're long distance doesnt exactly help, but it was a perfect moment for the waiting. Mostly, people arent with their bf of when your 14/15/16 because you inevitably grow apart as you grow as a person.
Reply 22
Lauren Hart
Noones saying that its' IMPOSSIBLE but you grow up a hell of a lot between say 16 (before which its illegal remember) and 21, and really, any younger than that is often to young to really know your heart.

If you find "the one" when you're young thats fantastic. I was 16 when i first got with my bf but was 17, nearly 18 when we first made love. We had the chance before then, but we chose to pass it up. The fact we're long distance doesnt exactly help, but it was a perfect moment for the waiting. Mostly, people arent with their bf of when your 14/15/16 because you inevitably grow apart as you grow as a person.

I understand all that, but I don't think its a good idea for someone to say "I think those who lost their virginity early are the desperate ones since they obviously wanted peer approval...well, unless it was forced on to them of course", because that's just not always true. There are plenty of reasons people have sex at a young age, not just two. Plus, how does this person define 'young'?

Besides, I don't believe in the concept of 'the one' and all of that, so that didn't come into it with me. I just thought, "I love this person, and I want to do this with them'. To me, it didn't matter whether we grew apart a few years down the line because I'd always have a happy memory of the time we were together. It seems to be the same for a lot of my friends too.
ok im a 1st year uni student and during a drinking game i was very drunk befor the game the game was call had you ever i told a lode of 1st 2nd and 3rd year students that i was a virgin and im 20 years old at the moment and im not looking to lose it any time soon i realy regrat saying that during the game i havent spoken to some of them for about 2 weeks now
Reply 24
If a guy was a virgin at that age to be honest it would really freak me out, and definately put me off, I have never slept with a virgin and never will but that's just me. With girls it's a bit different as they have a lower sex drive usually anyway but I would think it is a bit odd if a girl was still a virgin at 26 in this day and age unless it was a religious thing.
Bambi
If a guy was a virgin at that age to be honest it would really freak me out, and definately put me off, I have never slept with a virgin and never will but that's just me. With girls it's a bit different as they have a lower sex drive usually anyway but I would think it is a bit odd if a girl was still a virgin at 26 in this day and age unless it was a religious thing.

Sorry, but you, as everyone, are overlooking the reason for a lot of guys being virgins: shyness. If I had to guess, I'd say that the 'OP' was a guy in the age range stated, who was shy, and, hence, unable to approach women easily. There are more male virgins in this age range, than female virgins, because it's men that are still expected to initiate things, and to do the approaching. Any woman who goes to a club is going to be able to get sex, and will be approached by several men with little else on their minds, but, for a man, it is an entirely different story. I know of guys in this age range (actually, even above it) who are virgins, or who lost it within this age range, and it doesn't speak negatively of their looks; only their ability to approach women. In many of the places I go to, the male:female ratio levels are shockingly high; couple this with shyness, as regards approaching women, and, well, there we have it. The implications as to male virginity, compared to female virginity, are different, generally speaking.

Quite disconcerting, seeing such small-minded views on the matter.
Reply 26
Anonymous
what do you think of people in this agre range and older who are virgins.

Im 20 and still virgin, its not that I want to be but then again I haven't tried either, I don't go out clubbing etc so yeh guess I fall into the geek/loser catagory :p:
Yay I like this thread! Woohoo, I'm finally at the bottom end of the scale in this area :cool:

[I was 21 :redface: I'm normally embarrassed about it, but it's good to see I'm not the only social outcast in the world. I sort of am where I live tho :frown: Oh well I'm sporty and smart too so haa].
Reply 28
dyslexic_banana
Sorry, but you, as everyone, are overlooking the reason for a lot of guys being virgins: shyness. If I had to guess, I'd say that the 'OP' was a guy in the age range stated, who was shy, and, hence, unable to approach women easily. There are more male virgins in this age range, than female virgins, because it's men that are still expected to initiate things, and to do the approaching. Any woman who goes to a club is going to be able to get sex, and will be approached by several men with little else on their minds, but, for a man, it is an entirely different story. I know of guys in this age range (actually, even above it) who are virgins, or who lost it within this age range, and it doesn't speak negatively of their looks; only their ability to approach women. In many of the places I go to, the male:female ratio levels are shockingly high; couple this with shyness, as regards approaching women, and, well, there we have it. The implications as to male virginity, compared to female virginity, are different, generally speaking.

Ok 21 wouldn't freak me out too much but 26 definately would. Most guys are just so desperate for it it doesn't matter how shy they are. Don't believe what all these guys you know are telling you, it's probably their line to get you into bed! Don't be so naive. Now don't start saying something like "I know for a fact... " because the bottom line is you don't and you never will, you haven't been with them every second of their lives and people lie. I'm not saying no blokes are virgins at 26 but it certainly isn't the norm.
Reply 29
alio~
Im 20 and still virgin, its not that I want to be but then again I haven't tried either, I don't go out clubbing etc so yeh guess I fall into the geek/loser catagory :p:

You only look about 13 thats why!
Reply 30
Nothin wrong with it - like people say personal choice. Some people dont want to sleep together until late on into a relationship, and maybe theyve had no relationships that lasted so long.
Theres also religious/no sex before marriage beliefs to consider.
nothing wrong with that... u cant judge anyone without knowing enough
not all people like having sex during teen years. Some societies, religions, beliefs etc may cause that

maybe they just didnt find the right person.

its none of anyones business anyway. There are more important things
Bambi
Ok 21 wouldn't freak me out too much but 26 definately would. Most guys are just so desperate for it it doesn't matter how shy they are. Don't believe what all these guys you know are telling you, it's probably their line to get you into bed! Don't be so naive. Now don't start saying something like "I know for a fact... " because the bottom line is you don't and you never will, you haven't been with them every second of their lives and people lie. I'm not saying no blokes are virgins at 26 but it certainly isn't the norm.

These guys are trying to get me into bed? Well, perhaps I hadn't noticed their limp wrists and colourful behaviour, but I'm speaking as a guy who has the problems I've mentioned (I'm not a virgin, but I find it hard), along with having friends who do; I speak as a man who knows how it is, rather than a misled woman, as you seemed to think I was. You have a point, as regards men being rather sex-craved, but your views are still too exaggerated; not all men are sex-crazed lunatics, and definitely not to the point at which they can all overcome inhibitions and successfully seduce women. Did you think I was a woman, because you think no bloke could ever suggest what I did, as it is so obviously untrue, and could only be believed as the result of lies?

Any way, I know it's far from being the norm; I'm only saying that there are reasons people may overlook, as to why it can be hard for some guys, and, I'm sorry, but, as a woman, you'd never experience them. Also: may I suggest that, should you meet a male virgin who falls within this age range, that perhaps he is so as a result of shyness (which it's be unfair to judge him negatively on the basis of), or perhaps because he simply isn't sex-obsessed, as the stereotypical guy is?

May I ask what it is that would freak you out, about a 26-year-old male virgin? Seriously, I'm interested to know as to the thinking behind this stigma concerning male virginity.
I think you'll find if 21-26 year old virgins were 'losers', then they'd no longer be virgins.

I'm here all week... (mores the pity).
Reply 34
dyslexic_banana

Well said
Reply 35
I have two very good friends who are 20 and still virgins. I have a lot of respect for them because I lost mine at 16 and I have never been with anyone I cared about. I would like to rewind my life and change that. Not that it really bothers me, but at 16, I just wanted to get it over with and could have never imagined being a virgin at 20 or even 18. Now I can and I wouldn't do it again the way I did it.
Can people please define the terms 'sad' and 'loser', for me, please? Seem like very unfair, shallow labels to apply to someone, to me; amazing as to how many supposedly moralistic people use them.
Reply 37
dyslexic_banana
Can people please define the terms 'sad' and 'loser', for me, please? Seem like very unfair, shallow labels to apply to someone, to me; amazing as to how many supposedly moralistic people use them.

Sad - You have no interest in life, or little things excite you (not in a sexual way)

Loser - You have nothing to be proud of

Well I tried, lets see if anyone can do better..
Reply 38
Bambi, you're an idiot.
It may be true that, as you say, most blokes are 'desperate' to have sex. My boyfriend certainly was. HOWEVER he had more self-respect than the men you have apparently met, which was why he saved himself for someone he loves (me) rather than just jumping into bed with the first girl he fancied (and yes, he fancied plenty of women before me). There's 'desperate', and there's 'desperate-but-has-the-sense-to-wait'.
dyslexic_banana
May I ask what it is that would freak you out, about a 26-year-old male virgin? Seriously, I'm interested to know as to the thinking behind this stigma concerning male virginity.

ditto to everything u said in your first post. i feel rele rorry for guys allways having to make the first move. im trying to turn the tables but it just doesnt seem to be catching on lol. shy guys who you approatch are generally not "desperate" but they appreciate you far more and are therefore better in bed.

the 26 year old virgin thing is a bit wierd because surely he would have gained some confidence by that point? the freaky thing about older male virgins is if they suddenly realise that they rele want sex and start hitting on everything with boobs and a pulse. if anyone has met a guy like this they will know how freaky it is. no offense to anyone who isnt like that but i think thats where the stigma comes from.

Latest

Trending

Trending