The Student Room Group

I've been thinking a lot about the future...

I'm 22, unemployed and absolutely no qualifications. I am currently doing essential skills in maths and english which will get me a GCSE C equivalent. I have already basically passed those, just finishing up the portfolio now.

I am planning on going back to college next year and retake GCSE's. I am confident that i will pass these as I am now more mature and realised lately that I actually have the brains and commitment to pass them.

My problem is, I still have no idea on what career I want to do. I originally wanted to be a chef as one of my favourite hobbies is cooking but after being turned down for a chef course 3 years in a row, i've given up on that.

I want a job that will let me travel the world, see new places and experience new things. I don't mind going to university and waiting a few years to get the qualifications necessary. Any suggestions? :frown:
Unfortunately, you need to decide what you want to do. Have you tried other chef courses? Maybe take a course abroad (if you have the money). But your plan sounds good- get the GCSE's, do A-Levels and then do a degree. What have you been doing up till now?
Try being a chef again after the GCSEs. It'll probably help you get onto a course.
Reply 3
I'm the same as you to a certain extent OP but a year younger. I did not complete my Uni course last year and have been doing retail jobs since. I still don't really know what I want to do either.I just don't like retail though. I am hoping to go back to college with the intention of uni though am still stuck on what course to choose. If you want to go down the education route though I would go for it. University is a great experience if you embrace it and depending on your course choice could open up many different careers options.
Reply 4
become a pilot?
Reply 5
I've been doing small jobs here and there. My current lifestyle is a bit depressing to be honest, I need a change and I know that I can do it no problem but as stated earlier, I can't come to a decision on what i want to do.

I have a huge interest in science and would love to do a job based around that. The only problem is that the GCSE course that I have applied for doesn't include science and I highly doubt they would let you take A-level science without the GCSE, the subjects are: maths, english, history, ICT and learning for life and work.

@zeden, a pilots life seems boring, they seem to only go back and forward from two different airports all day long.
Reply 6
Original post by Anazoth
I've been doing small jobs here and there. My current lifestyle is a bit depressing to be honest, I need a change and I know that I can do it no problem but as stated earlier, I can't come to a decision on what i want to do.

I have a huge interest in science and would love to do a job based around that. The only problem is that the GCSE course that I have applied for doesn't include science and I highly doubt they would let you take A-level science without the GCSE, the subjects are: maths, english, history, ICT and learning for life and work.

@zeden, a pilots life seems boring, they seem to only go back and forward from two different airports all day long.

Why were you rejected from the Chefs course?
Reply 7
Original post by Anazoth

At 22 I would look for an Access to HE course or a Btec Course rather than GCSEs especially since you have your Maths and English Level 2 now

Then look at Food Sciences or Nutrition or Dietary courses at university
Reply 8
In order to be accepted for any decent course, you will need Maths & English GCSE grade C and above. With the current climate, qualification is key factor. Have you ever consider Open University ? http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending