The Student Room Group

Anyone want to learn a language over summer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arnoob
May I ask when you moved to England? I moved here when I was 11 so I am still fluent.

When I was a toddler, plus my parents are English and the only German my dad knows is how to ask for a pint of bitter... Would still be nice to learn the language as I feel it's a part of who I am :smile:

Where in Germany did you move from?

Should probably add there is German blood in the family, however when they moved to England they never bothered to hand down the language to the next generation, which is sad.
(edited 11 years ago)
French! I've already studied it at GCSE level (self taught with revision books) but I want to get more advanced.
Reply 82
My native language is Dutch, so I can help people with that.
Original post by The Puppet Master
When I was a toddler, plus my parents are English and the only German my dad knows is how to ask for a pint of bitter... Would still be nice to learn the language as I feel it's a part of who I am :smile:

Where in Germany did you move from?

That is understandable considering the fact that you came here as a toddler :biggrin: I'm from the city of Hannover, where in Germany were you born ?
Reply 84
My mom's fluent (or was as a kid??) in Spanish, so I could ask her ocassional questions
Original post by arnoob
That is understandable considering the fact that you came here as a toddler :biggrin: I'm from the city of Hannover, where in Germany were you born ?

Ohhh, I was born in Werl as it was the nearest English hospital, my mum was alone and at the time couldn't speak a word of German. :mmm: We lived in Iserlohn though. :h:
Reply 86
Voted for Dutch seeing as I already learn French and Spanish and have no interest in the other two :smile:
Original post by hannah_dru
Surely if you're learning German already it doesn't count :tongue:

All the extra info (bulet point list) came on after I posted :tongue:
Original post by The Puppet Master
Ohhh, I was born in Werl as it was the nearest English hospital, my mum was alone and at the time couldn't speak a word of German. :mmm: We lived in Iserlohn though. :h:

I see, I haven't heard of Werl but I think I have heard of Iserlohn, it is near Dortmund if I remember correctly.
Original post by Frankster
I can speak in English, German, French but would like to learn Mandarin.. I guess it's too complicated for TSR?

I'm learning Cantonese atm :h: Going to spend more time on it in the holidays though.
Reply 90
Latin!
Reply 91
Welsh. jk
Original post by OSharp
German is an abhorrent language with their rigid grammar. Plus there are only 2 countries in the world that speak it.

Not as abhorrent as your Maths/Geography.

(And German's amazing....not that I'm biased or anything :wink:)
Reply 93
I'm on my phone and can't see how to vote on the poll, but my vote goes to German. I want to learn so many languages, already studying French, spanish, mandarin and BSL and wanted another language to learn just myself but can't decide between German, dutch and Portuguese. I think German though as members of my family used to live in Germany and are fluent in German and I have German speaking friends, so it'll be easier and more useful.

Great idea on thread and I look forward to it this summer!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
Original post by OSharp
German is an abhorrent language with their rigid grammar. Plus there are only 2 countries in the world that speak it.

There are more than 2. I assume you're just thinking of Germany and Austria which isn't correct (took modules at uni where we learnt about the other countries).

Original post by thegodofgod
All the extra info (bulet point list) came on after I posted :tongue:

Ahh I see :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 95
Hmm attempting to learn a language sounds like an interesting project for the summer :smile:
I think we need an AV style voting system here as currently 63 people have voted yet only 18 want to do spanish. And were all gonna end up with spanish
I can speak Spanish and French but would like to learn German this summer
Spanish is winning! :biggrin: My mum can speak it so that'll help me.
I've voted Dutch! It probably won't win the vote , but if anyone can help me please and would like to help me, could you inbox me on tsr? (I think you can do this) :smile:
I can already speak basic Dutch.

Btw, I can help out for anyone wanting to learn French or Spanish as I did them for GCSE! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending