Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Should black people be allowed to call others the n-word?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whats your view?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I disagree with double-standards of any kind. It's actually racist to believe it's acceptable for black people to say it but not anybody else. It's granting a right to one race but to no others. In any other domain this kind of racial inequality would rightly be condemned in the most vicious fashion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's "acceptable" but it's incredibly stupid and hypocritical. Casual racism will always exist when a few stupid black people make fun of one another without thinking.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Totally dependent on the context the word is being used in my opinion. The majority of the time when a black person greets another black person by using the n word, it is does not have any derogatory or racist connotations assocaiated with it (even though that's how the word was used when it was first developed.) Should they be allowed? Well as someone who beleives in a social democratic society, I beleive everyone should be allowed to say what they want as long as they do not offend anyone.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    whats Louis my ****** ? what gucci my killer !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of something I heard a few days back.
    A girl of about 16 was asking a boy who was clearly still in primary school "what's wrong with being called a ******? Being called a ******'s nice". Then the proceeded to convince him that being called a ******'s a "good" thing.

I guess it really won't make sense for anyone on the outside looking in, because that scenario i witnessed was a real eye opener
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was watching some recent advert on TV where some scrawny little white guy takes his car to a body shop to get done up. He is portrayed as being intimidated by the black guys.

I think this sort of thing needs to stop, both the portrayal of the white guy as being a cowering little wimp before the black guy, and the black guy as being a thuggish brute.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Black people don't call themselves ******* (er). They call each other ****** (a).

This is why you do not understand. There is a clear difference.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyndonx)
    Whats your view?
    No, either you stamp a bad word out or you water down its offensive meaning by using it loads and ignoring any offence caused.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The most important thing with insults as with most things is context and intention. So yes they should be allowed to use the n-word, not that we could stop anyone from using whatever words they feel like.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If they want to reclaim a word as their own then nobody has any right to stop them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Black people don't call themselves *******. They call each other ******.

This is why you do not understand. There is a clear difference.
    Well, not all black people agree with that.

But to be honest I wouldn't even involve myself in this debate, to me it seems a little uncomfortable for a load of white people to discuss what they should and shouldn't be allowed to call black people.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the context
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banishingboredom)
    If they want to reclaim a word as their own then nobody has any right to stop them.
    "They", "Them"? Why the division?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is not helpful to the racial equality movement but it's much less harmful than a person of another race saying it
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Because when discussing issues surrounding race, not diving by race makes discussion very difficult
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Well, not all black people agree with that.

But to be honest I wouldn't even involve myself in this debate, to me it seems a little uncomfortable for a load of white people to discuss what they should and shouldn't be allowed to call black people.
    Are you saying that black people call each other ******?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    This video should explain everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Are you saying that black people call each other ******?
    Know what? I'm not even going to involve myself to this extent. All I know is I wouldn't be calling anyone anything in that ballpark. I'd even be careful of using the word niggardly where it could be taken amiss.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's called a speech community, and it isn't uniformly distributed amongst 'black' people. Just like you wouldn't say the same things you say to your best friend to a stranger, a 'black' person wouldn't necessarily approach any other 'black' person and call him/her a '*****'—stop homogenising and generalising. You speak as if all 'black' people consider the term completely acceptable until it is used by a 'non-black' person; there are plenty of people who disparage the term universally or have no qualms with anyone using it. Providing the prearranged speech community amongst a group permits such dialogue, anyone can use it, which applies to anything.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.