Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students - how do you cope with loud music/parties?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    It is attention seeking really, there's no reason for it, its easy enough to play music through headphones if you're just sitting in your room. Some people want to make a statement like "I'm here...notice me....this is the type of music I like because I'm cool". We had a guy move into our flat once for a bit, he had a liking for going sitting out in the back garden and putting his sound system in the living room on full volume so it deafened everyone else in the house. Sure some people will say "well just go out and join him then" and this was his argument but sometimes other people have other things to do - one of the girls was trying to write her dissertation at the time and she kept having to go off into the uni library because she couldn't concentrate at home with him blaring that din.

At uni you get some students who are the same, they are always totally defiant about "its a free country...you should come join the party then", invariably they are the type that have gone to uni just to get smashed and not really to do any work, they don't care if other people are trying to sleep they just kind of accept it that their right to be noisy and seek attention takes precedence because they are "cool" by playing loud music.

It's bad enough in halls but it takes the mick when people move out into a residential area where people live and have to work the next day and have babies and young children that need their sleep and they are getting deafened by students who are just living a doss party life on their student loans for three years.

I have to say my anecdotal evidence of the people I knew at Leeds Uni who had the PA systems and were blaring out music in halls, every one of them got a 2:2 or 3rd in their degree....
    Couldn't agree more mate. Especially the bit in bold. There is an elderly woman on my street and a few families with small children. Students are usually inconsiderate when they are trying to notify everyone that they're 'cool' :rolleyes:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 6, 2012
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.