Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Pass Plus worth it?

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I passed my driving test on Thursday (yay!) and have told my instructor that I would let them know whether or not I will be doing Pass Plus, however, I'm not sure whether it's worth it. Does anyone have any advice, or know any reasons why I should/should not bother to do it?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ive done it and it really helped me because I would need to do alot of motorway driving I'd say go for it and it lowers your insurance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it tomorrow, I think... I can tell you how it's been.

I'm doing all six hours in one day, but I've had six hour days driving lessons before and can keep up a very good standard as a beginner for a few hours.
    Since I live in London, my driving instructor and I are basically planning to do a road trip to the coast. We start in the afternoon and end it, when it's dark.

The reasons why I decided for it was, because I don't own a car or have anyone with a car here I could borrow for private practice. If I want to keep a standard, I need to rely on classic driving lessons.
    At the beginning of August, I'll be driving a company van in Germany every day and have to go on motorways as well, do a lot of night driving, so until then, I'll have regular lessons to be sure I get the knowledge and skills taught by a professional and don't take over any bad habits from "normal" drivers. In July, I go to my home country and will practice with my parents and in Germany, I'll be briefed by a professional driving instructor too to be ready for German roads.

So, for me, it's about getting as much information and help out of it as I can, to be safer and more confident.
    The insurance - apparently, it gives you some discount? That doesn't interest me at all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurentommo)
    ... it lowers your insurance.
    Hmmm.... as most insurers are not lowering insurance for doing PP then either you were lucky or are with a higher priced insurer

The reason that most insurers are not lowering for passing PP is because a recent report proved that those doing PP did not have lower incidents than those who did not do it

I dont know what the cost is now of doing PP but the all in price from one advanced driving organisation for passing the AD test is about £140 + the drivers time & fuel
    That includes motorway if one is within easy reach
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribosometronome)
    I passed my driving test on Thursday (yay!) and have told my instructor that I would let them know whether or not I will be doing Pass Plus, however, I'm not sure whether it's worth it. Does anyone have any advice, or know any reasons why I should/should not bother to do it?
    As ROG said, it's partially, true, some do lower it, but even then its at most a few hundred.
    And insurers will only take it into account the first time after which they wouldn't care.
    Even my driving instructor saying it will only help your first year only for insurance, but does give your more time to get the handle of driving.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What's the best way to know if an insurer will lower a quote for pass plus? Simply get two quotes, one with, and one without?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROG.)
    Hmmm.... as most insurers are not lowering insurance for doing PP then either you were lucky or are with a higher priced insurer

The reason that most insurers are not lowering for passing PP is because a recent report proved that those doing PP did not have lower incidents than those who did not do it

I dont know what the cost is now of doing PP but the all in price from one advanced driving organisation for passing the AD test is about £140 + the drivers time & fuel
    That includes motorway if one is within easy reach
    I posted off my certificate to the insurance company and got a discounted price for now my 2nd year. So yes some insurance company's will decrease the price some will not, I found out in advance before I took the Pass Plus.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did pass plus, i knew i wanted to do it regardless of it maybe lowering my insurance costs or not. This was because I knew i would be doing a fair bit of motorway driving with my uni being 2 and a half hours away from home and I also wanted to get more "free" driving experience than I did as a learner before getting my own car.

I did it with my driving instructor and did it all in one day with some stops for lunch and things so it was a good experience of long drives. I liked that I was driving around as a driver, not a learner and without L plates on the car and i definitely got a lot out of it.

My sister however, didn't bother with it because she just felt she didn't need to, its totally up to you and whether you think you will benefit from it. Have a read through the different modules/sections of it and see if you think spending some time on those things will be of help to you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, I did it yesterday, we went from London to Surrey and then to Folkestone to the sea, was really fun! My driving is pretty good, so it was more of a road trip than actual lessons and my instructor picks up every detail.
    I found the motorway bit extremely helpful, to get accustomed to the speed and I was afraid of it before. Though, German motorways have no speed limit, so that's going to be interesting.
    Rural roads, dual carriageways, town driving I have already done, that wasn't particularly difficult.

I was lucky enough to drive during quite heavy rain on the motorway for a while and there was light fog too, so except for snow, I've been driving in different weathers and night driving was ok. On the service points off the motorway, I had to do bay parking the first time... I never learned it during the lessons, but that was very easy.

Hmmm... I don't think I added many more skills, but I got more confidence, encountered a few new situations and learnt how do deal with them.

I'm glad I've done it, I found it helpful and feel safer with my own driving.
    The only bit that annoys me is - I have a tendency to overspeed by a few mph - I know it, so I always keep an eye on it to prevent it, but without the L plates, people are less patient with you. I haven't made any mistake that would ask for tolerance of other road users, however, I obviously keep to the speed limit and most don't and sit up my ass. I found it good to talk with my instructor about questions and impressions you have without a learner's car.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never bothered with doing the Pass Plus. Having said that, the first time I found myself on a motorway (quite by chance actually - I was looking for somewhere around Leeds City Centre that wasn't finding - think it was a Halfords or somewhere, and I ended up following a one way road onto the motorway haha, and I screamed like a little girl. My husband was like "just DRIVE woman!!!" whilst I was busy slightly hyperventilating!

I'm fine now though of course, that was years ago, and I've never had an accident that was my fault (last year a woman rammed me in a car park, but that was entirely her fault - I was stationary!) so despite the panic things were fine. I suppose if I had done a Pass Plus I might have been a tad more confident when it came to the motorway, but really that's just me being a bit of a wuss. I drive on motorways all the time now, no problem.
    • 89 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did it and yeah, I'd say it was worth it for the extra experience at least, especially in motorway driving. It cost me about £150 which isn't much compared to the couple of grand I'd already spent on normal lessons before passing my test (I was a slow learner haha). I haven't gotten a car or insurance yet though, so I don't know how good it is in getting lower insurance.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I did it and yeah, I'd say it was worth it for the extra experience at least, especially in motorway driving. It cost me about £150
    The advanced driving organisations cost less and most, not all, observer/tutors are quite capable of assisting a first time motorway user
    • 89 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROG.)
    The advanced driving organisations cost less and most, not all, observer/tutors are quite capable of assisting a first time motorway user
    OK. Nothing's stopping people from taking that as well if they want to. The more practice and guidance the better
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its shaved 1/3 off my mates insurance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it's worth doing for the learning and confidence, but my friend only saved £1 on her insurance when she did it...
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koji88)
    I'm doing it tomorrow, I think... I can tell you how it's been.

I'm doing all six hours in one day, but I've had six hour days driving lessons before and can keep up a very good standard as a beginner for a few hours.
    Since I live in London, my driving instructor and I are basically planning to do a road trip to the coast. We start in the afternoon and end it, when it's dark.

The reasons why I decided for it was, because I don't own a car or have anyone with a car here I could borrow for private practice. If I want to keep a standard, I need to rely on classic driving lessons.
    At the beginning of August, I'll be driving a company van in Germany every day and have to go on motorways as well, do a lot of night driving, so until then, I'll have regular lessons to be sure I get the knowledge and skills taught by a professional and don't take over any bad habits from "normal" drivers. In July, I go to my home country and will practice with my parents and in Germany, I'll be briefed by a professional driving instructor too to be ready for German roads.

So, for me, it's about getting as much information and help out of it as I can, to be safer and more confident.
    The insurance - apparently, it gives you some discount? That doesn't interest me at all.
    How did you get such an awesome job in Germany?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    OK. Nothing's stopping people from taking that as well if they want to.
    I was advocating - instead of PP

During the past 5 years I had 4 x 17/18 years olds as associates who had already done PP and all said that when comparing the two, PP came a poor second

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 7, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.