The Student Room Group

SCLY3 Beliefs In Society June 13th 2012 exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OxfordPotential
Does anyone know the kind of question on Globalisation that could come up?X

It could be like 'Assess sociological explanations of the relationship between globalisation and religion'
What are the Predictions for the 33 marker and 18 markers??
What do you think

I think Marxisim or Femmnism what about you

please quote me when replaying

What do you write for globalisation and religion?
Reply 62
What would anyone put for an essay on fundamentalism?
Original post by helpmekid
What are the Predictions for the 33 marker and 18 markers??
What do you think

I think Marxisim or Femmnism what about you

please quote me when replaying

What do you write for globalisation and religion?

for globalisation (i think) you write about:
Nanda- indian middle class
tiger economies and pentecostalism being similar to calvinism
how christianity has globalised - lehmann such as the africanisation of christianity in africa
i think you talk about postmodernity and how this has affected religion
hervieu leger - spiritual shopping
lyon - disembedding
religion has moved into the sphere of consumerism etc
you talk about fundamentalism also:
giddens - fundamentalism is a reaction to globalisation and late modern society, he contrasts this with cosmopolitanism
bauman - fundamentalism is a reaction to postmodernity
castells - agrees. there are two reactions - 1) resistant identity - fundamentalism 2) project identity - cosmopolitanism
then criticise these using beckford who saying they are 'fixated on fundamentalism' and say they ignore other the impact of globalisation on non-fundamentalist groups
then you talk about how bruce says fundamentalism is only a feature of monotheistic religions
and finally
huntington and the clash of civilisations, globalisation has led to conflict between civilisations. The west is under threat from eastern countries
then contrast this with Norris and Inglehart who argue that the real clash of civilisations comes from differing ideas of sexuality, the west are liberal whereas the east remain traditional

Hope thats okay! sorry if it doesn't make sense, just a brief overview of what my teacher has taught us!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by zxcvbn
You're not supposed to put the word "I" anywhere in a sociology essay, you're not arguing your own point of view you're arguing the sociologists'.

For the essay on postmodernity "Assess the view that religious beliefs and practices are changing to replace a new era of diversity and choice" I'd start by saying how in contemporary society, evidence has shown that religious belief has decreased etc through church attendance statisitcs, however some sociologists (postmodernists) believe that religion is not declining but changing into a more privatised form. then you could include authors such as:
Davie - believing without belonging/vicarious religion
Hervieu-Léger - spiritual shopping
Lyon - globalisation/growth of consumerism

In terms of ending an essay, if it's an "assess the usefulness.." question then you should decide which theory is more useful and state why it's better than the other theory in your conclusion, and throughout after making a point you should say "this shows that the theory is useful because..." or "this shows that the theory is not useful becuase.." this should get you more evaluative points!

A matter of fact you can use your own opinion. Would you like me to give you an example? If the question came up on feminism and their view on the function of religion you could simply say one sentence saying 'In my opinion I believe religion is a liberating force because as a muslim woman I have gained freedom outside the home to go into employment/education'
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Mariya786
ah fair point, for the A02. Sorry but how would you start the essay ><? ahh

Erm you could right smoething like>> some belive that society is undergoing a process of religious decline, but others argue that religion is not declining but simply changing to reflect a new era of choice, of which i will look at in this essay... thats would i would put, hope you get this before the exam but if not good luck :smile:
If a question came up about postmodernism, would you talk about supply led religion, like religious market theory and stuff? as well as everything else i mean like lyon/hervieu leger etc
Reply 67
Original post by HanS10
Erm you could right smoething like>> some belive that society is undergoing a process of religious decline, but others argue that religion is not declining but simply changing to reflect a new era of choice, of which i will look at in this essay... thats would i would put, hope you get this before the exam but if not good luck :smile:

ah so simple and straight to the point, I don't even know why I always panic at the sight of essays hah but thank you so much! and good luck tomorrow! :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by zxcvbn
You're not supposed to put the word "I" anywhere in a sociology essay, you're not arguing your own point of view you're arguing the sociologists'.

For the essay on postmodernity "Assess the view that religious beliefs and practices are changing to replace a new era of diversity and choice" I'd start by saying how in contemporary society, evidence has shown that religious belief has decreased etc through church attendance statisitcs, however some sociologists (postmodernists) believe that religion is not declining but changing into a more privatised form. then you could include authors such as:
Davie - believing without belonging/vicarious religion
Hervieu-Léger - spiritual shopping
Lyon - globalisation/growth of consumerism

In terms of ending an essay, if it's an "assess the usefulness.." question then you should decide which theory is more useful and state why it's better than the other theory in your conclusion, and throughout after making a point you should say "this shows that the theory is useful because..." or "this shows that the theory is not useful becuase.." this should get you more evaluative points!

ah indeed, and thanks for the help! ><'
Reply 69
Original post by supercalifragilist
A matter of fact you can use your own opinion. Would you like me to give you an example? If the question came up on feminism and their view on the function of religion you could simply say one sentence saying 'In my opinion I believe religion is a liberating force because as a muslim woman I have gained freedom outside the home to go into employment/education'

ah sorry but who told you that you can include your own opinion? just curious. I've always been told that we must not and it makes sense not to as well because this is sociology not philosophy where we would need our opinions because here we need to argue the sociologists theories against others.
Anyone know how many marks etc you have to get for each grade?
Reply 71
One more question... What would you write for criticisms of post modernity?? Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 72
Original post by Mariya786
ah sorry but who told you that you can include your own opinion? just curious. I've always been told that we must not and it makes sense not to as well because this is sociology not philosophy where we would need our opinions because here we need to argue the sociologists theories against others.

You actually can't put your own opinion because the examiners are not interested in what you, yourself think. They want you to come to a conclusion based on the evidence you have included in your essay e.g. The evidence suggests 'this' argument is more useful in assessing whether or not secularisation is actually occuring. If it was on postmodernists or secularisation of course.

My sociology teacher made sure I remembered this when I went to see him today. :smile:
I don't know how much use this is going to be for anyone seeing as the exams tomorrow, but on all my mock exams I've got A's continually.

It helps that I studied religion at AS, but the best way to revise in my opinion is to list every theory down and then underneath, put down keywords and concepts i.e. for Neo-Marxism, put down things like Dual Consciousness.

Also, what distinguishes someone between an A grade and a B/C grade is the ability to use HARDER THEORISTS. By this, I mean include Neo-Marxists and Post-Mods because these are harder to understand and grasp. Marxists, Functionalists, they're all very basic and straight forward - something you can in a sense, blag.

Make sure you know about Roy Wallis, Robert Bellah, Grace Davie, Linda Woodhead, etc. It'll bag you more marks :smile:

I hope it's on social change as a 33 marker.

You can always remember to use CAGE: Class, Age, Gender, Ethnicity

In a plan, write those as a sub-heading and then notes underneath so you cover all areas. It'll make it 10x easier!

Good luck everyone!
Original post by OxfordPotential
Anyone know how many marks etc you have to get for each grade?

The boundaries change every year however, if you get 9/9, around 12/15 and 25/33 you'll be on track for an A. Try to pick up little marks, it makes all the difference.
Reply 75
Original post by Maryam95
One more question... What would you write for criticisms of post modernity?? Thanks

I would use secularisation theorists to criticise postmodernity as postmodernists dont think that religion is in decline but merely changing whereas secularisation theorists believe that it is in decline

An example would be:
Davie (2007) - religion is not declining but taken a more privatised form - we now have believing without belonging

and the criticism would be:
Voas and Crockett - do not accept Davies claim as they say evidence shows that there is a decline in both church attendance and a belief in God
Reply 76
Original post by e.millar
I would use secularisation theorists to criticise postmodernity as postmodernists dont think that religion is in decline but merely changing whereas secularisation theorists believe that it is in decline

An example would be:
Davie (2007) - religion is not declining but taken a more privatised form - we now have believing without belonging

and the criticism would be:
Voas and Crockett - do not accept Davies claim as they say evidence shows that there is a decline in both church attendance and a belief in God

Oryt, yep thanks :smile:

Reply 77
how long should an 18 and 33 marker be? I don't wanna end up writing too much for the 18 marker and not enough for the 33 marker..
Reply 78
Original post by MSJM1
You actually can't put your own opinion because the examiners are not interested in what you, yourself think. They want you to come to a conclusion based on the evidence you have included in your essay e.g. The evidence suggests 'this' argument is more useful in assessing whether or not secularisation is actually occuring. If it was on postmodernists or secularisation of course.

My sociology teacher made sure I remembered this when I went to see him today. :smile:

ah yes that I know already ^^, thanks. Ara I think I'm going to make some more notes now >_< haven't read over C.A.G.E yet. GOODLUCK FOR TOMORROW! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Guys, I just want to know would I be right in suggesting Karen Armstrong is a Radical Feminist - Religion is oppresses women lalala and Linda Woodhead is a liberal/reformist Feminist who believes religion can be form of 'religious feminism' that provides empowerment through respect and liberation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending