Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

What A Level subjects are the hardest?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yolofied)
    Whatever, I was just tryna see if there was actually an official list and see what other ppl think...
    But even if there was an 'official' list, would that suddenly make it certain subjects objectively harder/easier?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    film studies and dance...:bl:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dux_Helvetica)
    But even if there was an 'official' list, would that suddenly make it certain subjects objectively harder/easier?
    Well... no but I'm sick and tired of some of my teachers saying that some of the subjects (Biology and Maths) that I take are easy to do...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can people say Geography is hard? I only took it for AS, but I got 91% overall with minimal revision.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely this question is subjective and individual to different people?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths

It's definitely these 3 which are the hardest, not sure about the order
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge classify the hardest subjects as:

Maths
    The 3 sciences
    English Lit
    History
    Modern languages

Then traditional subjects like Classics, English Lang, Psychology, Sociology, Geography etc.. are considered next on the pecking order

Although just because these are supposedly the hard subjects doesn't mean you should pick them. You should only pick the subjects that you enjoy and challenge you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    History's rather easy in my opinion - but that's just me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Chemistry is the one i found hardest, as it was quite challenging, but I also found Physics hard as it gets so boring, and as soon as something isn't interesting it's really difficult to learn. Just my opinion
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is just a bitch in heat.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When people do the maths and look at grades at GCSE and the A level maths and sciences come out as hardest but then it will vary greatly person to person. I'm ok with maths and science but I'd probably have a breakdown in an English exam.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if some ppl don't like this discussion I just wanna repeat what I wrote in my intro... I wanted to know if there was an official list because apparently there is :/ and ppl can post what they think as well!
    All the ppl who keep saying its subjective, it depends on the person, I know that already

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    According to a study which followed test results of people through SATs, GCSE's etc all the way up to A-levels, the hardest were
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Further Maths
    Biology
    Maths
    History
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah1994)
    According to a study which followed test results of people through SATs, GCSE's etc all the way up to A-levels, the hardest were
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Further Maths
    Biology
    Maths
    History
    Thanks for this

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    German.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Honestly physics
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would say for me history is the hardest. The amount of things you are required to learn is just mind-blowing.
    It takes up more time than all my other three A-levels and more
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think subjects like History, English Lit and other essay subjects where there is so much content

I find maths pretty easy in General and id say it is easier than my other subjects (Spanish, French and history)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Yolofied;37894953]I'm sorry if some ppl don't like this discussion I just wanna repeat what I wrote in my intro... I wanted to know if there was an official list because apparently there is :/ and ppl can post what they think as well!
    All the ppl who keep saying its subjective, it depends on the person, I know that already

The sciences and maths are renowned for being particularly hard. However, from someone doing essay based subjects, I wouldn't say they were easy!
    I think it is fair to say that ALL A level subjects are hard, A levels in general are hell! If you work hard though any subject can become easy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Whats up with people thinking chemistry is so hard, I would say it has the smallest difficulty increase from gcse than any of my other subjects (the maths and sciences).
    As other people have said I guess it depends on the person, I know that I would struggle to do English or a foreign language. I also think that as far of sciences are concerned if you understood absolutely everything at GCSE then the step up in difficulty is pretty small, the main difference is that at GCSE the exams will let you get away with more answers that are only partially correct.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 2, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.