The Student Room Group

Forced to claim "Theft" by School.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Everyone, I'm not looking for an excuse - I'll stick to the truth - about just not knowing why.

I just want to know how to approach this situation now, any advice on what I should do, and whether I should seek medical attention or not?

The majority are saying that I don't need to seek any medical help, but come on - it's pretty weird isn't it? The teachers don't believe me, even my mum doesn't believe me (which isn't helping) - she asked if I wanted to sell it (wow.). I know some people do weird things, such as walking to a room, then forgetting why they walked to that room - but this is a pretty big scale of weirdness - should I just got to the GP to be safe? Or is there genuinely no need to?

Can someone give me examples of any weird things they've done? Or known of? Since I'm beginning to convince myself that I'm some sort of freak..
Original post by Anonymous
Everyone, I'm not looking for an excuse - I'll stick to the truth - about just not knowing why.

I just want to know how to approach this situation now, any advice on what I should do, and whether I should seek medical attention or not?

The majority are saying that I don't need to seek any medical help, but come on - it's pretty weird isn't it? The teachers don't believe me, even my mum doesn't believe me (which isn't helping) - she asked if I wanted to sell it (wow.). I know some people do weird things, such as walking to a room, then forgetting why they walked to that room - but this is a pretty big scale of weirdness - should I just got to the GP to be safe? Or is there genuinely no need to?

Can someone give me examples of any weird things they've done? Or known of? Since I'm beginning to convince myself that I'm some sort of freak..

You are probably not a freak, you just didn't know what you were doing. I do things and then think why the **** did I do that?

But I would suggest take the counselling incase anything underlying that you don't realise is causing any problems or is likely to cause problems. I would take counselling due to curiosity.

Just be careful what you say and record any conversation with the consent of the interviewer. If the teacher starts shouting at you, you can always show someone else the recording and will most likely dismiss the teachers view

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i
Reply 42
Any other advice?
Reply 43
Anyone else?
You sound a bit weird but your school sounds even weirder with all this interrogation stuff...
Reply 45
I wouldn't say it was that weird. When I'm stressed I do things on autopilot all the time. Do you normally wear a jacket? If your instinct reaction when leaving that room is to grab your jacket as you leave then it makes perfect sense that you took a jacket that was there without thinking about it, realised later and tried to return it. If I'm about to leave somewhere then I will normally search for my keys regardless of whether or not I brought them with me. This has resulted in me taking the wrong keys 3 times, in two cases my keys were in my pocket.
Doesn't sound malicious or like there's anything wrong with you. Wouldn't sign anything for the school though or admit to anything that isn't true. Do apologise to the teacher but make sure the word accidentally is in there, otherwise it could be seen as an admission of guilt.
Anyone else?

Just go to the GP or who ever. It sounds like you don't believe yourself at the moment, so just go and get it over with.
Reply 47
Anyone else?

there's been three pages worth of advice from us mate, read back through it.

If your Mum doesn't believe you then I would consider going to counselling and telling them that.. I would be pretty shook up if my mum didn't believe me about something like that
Does anyone here think I should consult with my local GP or seek phychiatric help? Or am I ok?

I wouldn't stress too much about your mental health. Everyone has little tweaks. Particularly if it was an isolated incident it isn't clinically significant.

I do things like just walk away from people particularly at night and eventually make me way home or somewhere "safe" a few hours later. Its not a deliberate action and only days later will I realise I have done it. FYI walking through a hay field in a floor length ball dress at two in the morning with no torch is not advisable. I also occasionally feel a need to break things like bottles or walls. Neither thing is classed as normal but my friends let me get on with it and try to make sure I am safe. Neither hurts anyone and nothing else in my personality enables any professional to pick up anything more serious then being a little random.
So I wouldn't worry. Really hope everything gets sorted with the school
Reply 49
What you did was odd but the reaction you're getting is even weirder. You put it back so I don't see why they're trying to pin the other stuff on you.

Just take the counselling; it doesn't mean you're crazy.
Although, have you involved your parents?
Reply 50
Original post by Mm_Minty
What you did was odd but the reaction you're getting is even weirder. You put it back so I don't see why they're trying to pin the other stuff on you.

Just take the counselling; it doesn't mean you're crazy.
Although, have you involved your parents?

I'm having a meeting with the whole Sixth form department team with my mum and brother tomorrow - since they received a letter regarding an "Attempted theft" incident (What it says on the letter).

I've told them what happened, my brother told me to admit that it was theft, and to tell them my reason, and that I apologise in which I won't be doing any such actions again.

My brother said that it does count as theft, since it's practically the same thing as me walking into a shop, putting an item in my bag, leaving the shop, then putting it back. (The fact that I took it and put it into my bag is automatic theft)
Reply 51
I'm having a meeting with the whole Sixth form department team with my mum and brother tomorrow - since they received a letter regarding an "Attempted theft" incident (What it says on the letter).

I've told them what happened, my brother told me to admit that it was theft, and to tell them my reason, and that I apologise in which I won't be doing any such actions again.

My brother said that it does count as theft, since it's practically the same thing as me walking into a shop, putting an item in my bag, leaving the shop, then putting it back. (The fact that I took it and put it into my bag is automatic theft)

This isn't a shop though; this is school. Theft is taking something with the intention of keeping it - and you put it back.

The school really is over-reacting about this. Hopefully the presence of an adult on your side will stop them from going to bat**** crazy in this meeting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending