The Student Room Group

Differences between campus and city based universities as well as pros and cons?

Hi all, I have recently got the drift of all this 'campus and city based university' structure'.

Originally I planned on study at Sheffield university, from the tour
Videos it looks amazing like a student heaven however, I realised it was a city based uni and I am afraid that when I go there, it's gonna be hard to make friends, is everything set out far from
Each other as I don't
Have a car for uni.

Can we discuss the main differences between campus and city based unis and analyse the pros and cons of each!

Also if anyone knows anything about Sheffield and the life of a student, please private message me.

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING ERRORS, I'm Typing fast!!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
I'm at a campus university, and its awesome! You can wake up for a lecture an hour beforehand and still be 5 minutes early for it.
If you need to buy anything, there's always a shop in close proximity.
Plus you are in the middle of the social bubble at all times because everyone can meet anywhere if they live on campus!

But I'm biased, if you like how the city buzzes with excitement all the time you should definitely go for it! :smile:
City unis tend to be closer to the city centre & nightlife, whereas campus unis are often more cut off / on the outskirts. As a result, city unis tend to feel more integrated with the rest of society, whereas campus unis can leave you feeling like you're in more of a weird student bubble.

And don't forget that invariably most of a city university's buildings will be very close together, so much so that it feels a lot like being on a campus. In fact, I'm struggling to think of a definition that defines the two, and the best I can come up with is that city universities have public roads that the general public can use to pass through and get from one side to the other, whereas this doesn't tend to be the case with a campus uni.

Personally I prefer a city uni, but it's not the sort of thing that would be a deal breaker either way.

Edit: just realised that I should probably address some of your points more directly. You won't have a problem making friends at Sheffield, and stuff is actually fairly well grouped together - you won't need a car (in my experience, even at the city university that I'm at, living two miles away from the academic campus, very few people have cars, and even fewer actually need them - and those that do need them need them for non-university purposes! This is the campus map for Sheffield http://www.shef.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.159842!/file/mar12campusmapAZ.gif
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I like Campus-based universities a lot more.

Pro's;

- Mix with people of similar age.
- Mix with; somewhat, smart people. Not the chavs hanging around on the streets of Manchester.
- Nicer buildings. I've been to a lot of open-days and all the campus based universities seem to look nicer and are more convenient.
- The campus has been designed to suit you, whereas a city was designed for something else entirely.
- Besides London, most of the top universities (Warwick, York, Durham, Nottingham etc) are campus based. Although, Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham are pretty good; so this point isn't an awfully strong one.
- Most likely closer to lecture theatres and labs etc. In other words, less travelling time.

Cons;

- Limited accommodation.
- Not good for night life; I see this as a plus, but meh.
- Not as many things to do, although, most universities are proud to provide societies, clubs and teams that one can join.
- Travelling back home can be somewhat harder. The reason I say this is because a lot of trains run through the main cities, but some campus ones can be rather excluded, and lack the transport.
Reply 4
Surrey university is a campus uni and 10 minutes away from the town centre by walking, and 5 minutes to the train station walking. Best of both worlds. Surrey is the deal .
Reply 5
Original post by BobbyBurke
Hi all, I have recently got the drift of all this 'campus and city based university' structure'.

Originally I planned on study at Sheffield university, from the tour
Videos it looks amazing like a student heaven however, I realised it was a city based uni and I am afraid that when I go there, it's gonna be hard to make friends, is everything set out far from
Each other as I don't
Have a car for uni.

Can we discuss the main differences between campus and city based unis and analyse the pros and cons of each!

Also if anyone knows anything about Sheffield and the life of a student, please private message me.

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING ERRORS, I'm Typing fast!!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I was set on going to Sheffield, but the city thing put me off completely :/ The idea of a campus appeals so much to me due to knowing that everything around you is associated with the university, and thus i've chosen a campus university instead :smile:
Reply 6
From what I saw of Sheffield, all the uni buildings were pretty close together and easy to travel between.
Wasn't keen on the Uni myself, bit too noisy but I've always leant more towards the idea of campus unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending