Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Religion based purely on morality

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    With no spiritutal side is it possible? and how many of you would considering adopting it?

A shared moral code amongst a group of people focusing on family values, tradtional beliefs; respecting the elderly for example and rational relationship guidance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean something similar to Buddhism, where there is no belief in God (although if a Buddhist chose to believe in a God, I don't think there would be much objection,) but at the same time the religion member's all share the same ideals and ways of life?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's a moral code. The spiritual part (and the group-think stuff) is what makes a religion a religion.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherposter)
    Do you mean something similar to Buddhism, where there is no belief in God (although if a Buddhist chose to believe in a God, I don't think there would be much objection,) but at the same time the religion member's all share the same ideals and ways of life?
    Almost just less abstract. But right on the lines of a religion without a creator or central deity figure.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that would be a religion, what you said sounds more like a group of people abiding by the law.

re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
    Noun:
    1) The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
    2) Details of belief as taught or discussed.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightninLew)
    I don't think that would be a religion, what you said sounds more like a group of people abiding by the law.

re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
    Noun:
    1) The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
    2) Details of belief as taught or discussed.
    Are you suggesting morality and law are the same thing??? :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't agree with a good few laws. But any moral code you follow just because someone else tells you to isn't really a moral code, it's just like the law.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    The closest thing we have in the Western world is Judaism. The religion does not require its adherents to believe in any supernatural event to be a good person - it merely asks that Jews adhere to a set of moral laws. A Jewish man who shuns spiritualism but who follows the law to the detail is still a morally good person according to the Jewish religion.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Morality and religion are separate things.

You can have one without the other so why try to combine them?

Religion just means a belief in a deity or deities, its got nothing to do with morality. The only reason why most religions have a morality component is it allows those who are part of a religious organisation such as a priest to exercise increased social control over its followers.
    • 54 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can understand where OP is coming from in the fact that religions teach moral codes but these moral codes often don't make sense like Christianity says you shouldn't punish people who have done wrong or kill but yet God kills everyone in the flood because they have been evil.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a Christian but I came to believe that the Bible wasn't a particularly good source for moral guidance, since its teachings could often be contradictory (or obviously incompatible with 21st century conceptions of moral behaviour), so last year I started attempting to establish an ethical system that I can put to practical use day-to-day for myself. I wouldn't exactly call it a religion, but it would function similarly.

I care about whether or not I'm living morally, so I hope that this system works for me. I also have a collection of 13 guidelines I use that help to direct me and remind me about the things I value. I believe that how I live is important, and so far making these things, or at least considering the questions about how I should live, have helped me to become a more conscientious person.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. Without a spiritual purpose, I find that a unalterable moral code is rather superfluous.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherposter)
    Buddhism has a very rich spiritual component.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    I can understand where OP is coming from in the fact that religions teach moral codes but these moral codes often don't make sense like Christianity says you should punish people who have done wrong or kill but yet God kills everyone in the flood because they have been evil.
    Christianity never says you should punish people. In fact, its teachings are of love and forgiveness. And there's not even ground for saying it's contradictory on that :"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth. But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also”, and etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhadamanthus)
    The closest thing we have in the Western world is Judaism. The religion does not require its adherents to believe in any supernatural event to be a good person - it merely asks that Jews adhere to a set of moral laws. A Jewish man who shuns spiritualism but who follows the law to the detail is still a morally good person according to the Jewish religion.
    That's not correct because even though he is a good man he is not Jewish because of that!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Morality and religion are not the same thing. We don't get our morality from religion, we get it from society and the shifting moral Zeitgeist.

If morality came from God, then surely all the barabaric practices once thought acceptable behaviour that the human race have carried out in the name of various gods throughout history would still be acceptable today. Just look at some of the stuff laid down in the holy books of many religions. Surely God doesn't suddenly come and tell people after a certain time that there is a new way to behave and to ignore what he said before?

In the early 19th century, you could pay to go into Bedlam hospital to laugh and stare at the freaks they had in there, and no one thought that this was unnaceptable behaviour.

Morality comes from the society that we live in, and we adhere to because of the fear of being cast out from that society. As I have just demonstrated, correct rules of behaviour change over time.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it doesn't infringe on my beliefs or try to impose things on me then I don't mind what people believe.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't just ignore spirituality because you don't wish to comprehend it or can't just yet, it exists no matter what you do and religion is part of it.
    And religions are moral if the people within it are moral, remember that.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a tad like secular humanism? It's a loose moral code, but rejects spirituality of any form.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    Sounds a tad like secular humanism? It's a loose moral code, but rejects spirituality of any form.
    It rejects the authority of religious dogma, not all spirituality.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.