The Student Room Group

Southampton BM4 2013

Hey everyone,

There's no thread for entry in 2013 to Southampton's BM4 course, so thought I'd make one! Who else is applying there, with what backgrounds, and where else are you considering applying to and why?

I'm thinking of applying to Warwick, Newcastle, Southampton & Barts or Imperial. My background is essentially shocking prior to my degree, where I am now on track for a 1st in Biomedical Science.

My experience is as follows: I've been helping to care for my partner's grandfather who lives with us, and suffers from various illnesses and so requires full-time care. I'm currently on my placement at the University Hospital of South Manchester (UHSM) in a clinical NHS laboratory, where I've also had the chance to sit in on clinics with the consultants and hopefully going to get on a ward round or two before I leave!

This summer I'm hoping to get nursing home voluntary work. Previous to this I've worked at Oxfam, done D of E Silver Award, first aid training and deaf/blind communication.

I'm looking forward to hearing about all your backgrounds and application progressions :smile: best of luck!

Matt

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good luck everyone. I start this year. If you need help with applications just shout xx
Reply 2
Yep, I'm applying for Soton BM4 as well.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Hi everyone,

I am applying BM4 and BM5 at soton, and also applying to warwick and barts.

Ok so my background:
I have a 1st class Bsc (Hons) in forensic science, and currently working as a medical scientist.
I have volunteered with newborns suffering with feotal alcohol syndrome and am currently volunteering at a care home for those with dementia.
Apart from that its pretty much the usual...work experience, sports, first aid etc.

anyway just thought Id say hi to the group...and LexxieK if your are starting this year would you mind giving us your background and maybe any words of wisdom to help with the applications?
Reply 4
Hey All,

I applied for southampton last year for both BM4 and BM5 but didn't make it... got rejected 3 days before the last batch of offers were handed out! :angry: lol.

I think my ukcat let me down, it was 603 ... so I need to improve it this year to even be considered.

I have a 1st in biomedical sciences
Volunteered in a charity shop supporting private hospices for 9 months.
Volunteered in an acute cardiac ward for 7 months.
Volunteered in an acute elderly ward for 4 months.
Volunteered for St Johns, London Air Amberlance.
Helped mentally challenged children in secondary school

I hope we all get an offer from at least one uni :smile:
Original post by Connor S
Hey All,

I applied for southampton last year for both BM4 and BM5 but didn't make it... got rejected 3 days before the last batch of offers were handed out! :angry: lol.

I think my ukcat let me down, it was 603 ... so I need to improve it this year to even be considered.

I have a 1st in biomedical sciences
Volunteered in a charity shop supporting private hospices for 9 months.
Volunteered in an acute cardiac ward for 7 months.
Volunteered in an acute elderly ward for 4 months.
Volunteered for St Johns, London Air Amberlance.
Helped mentally challenged children in secondary school

I hope we all get an offer from at least one uni :smile:

Hey! oh wow, well done on your first! I'm applying to BM4 only- so nervous!
I've done my UKCAT now and it went well but Soton is so mysterious about what they actually look for you never know! feel like its my 'wild card' option on ucas :rolleyes:

have you booked your UKCAT yet? where else are you thinking of tryng?
Reply 6
Original post by *...smiling away....*
Hey! oh wow, well done on your first! I'm applying to BM4 only- so nervous!
I've done my UKCAT now and it went well but Soton is so mysterious about what they actually look for you never know! feel like its my 'wild card' option on ucas :rolleyes:

have you booked your UKCAT yet? where else are you thinking of tryng?

Thank you :smile:

To be honest, I have not really put much effort in this medical cycle. I know that I probs need 650+ in ukcat to be seriously considered for a medical school and seeing as I can't afford the 5 year course its not looking to good. I'm going to book the ukcat in september or early october and from the grade it'll let me know where to go.
Realistically, Soton is my only hope :tongue: - and now i've moved home I am right around the corner!

Soton didn't give me feedback for last year but the other med schools did so hopefully I can learn from that.

good luck all!
hey guys!

I was wanting to apply to Southampton but my UKCAT score was 2450.

On the website they say they want at least 2500.

I only fell down majorly in one section, is there any chance they would look at this, or am I guaranteed a rejection?
Original post by AnthonyShock
hey guys!

I was wanting to apply to Southampton but my UKCAT score was 2450.

On the website they say they want at least 2500.

I only fell down majorly in one section, is there any chance they would look at this, or am I guaranteed a rejection?

Hey Anthony!

From my experience applying as an undergad, unis usually stick quite firmly to a cut off it they've definitively stated one. The only way to be sure though, is to email them before you apply. Tell them about the other strong points in your application and ask if they would still consider you. hope this helps :smile:
Original post by *...smiling away....*
Hey Anthony!

From my experience applying as an undergad, unis usually stick quite firmly to a cut off it they've definitively stated one. The only way to be sure though, is to email them before you apply. Tell them about the other strong points in your application and ask if they would still consider you. hope this helps :smile:

Heya :biggrin: Thanks for your help!

I e-mailed them a few days ago and they responded saying they wouldn't make any allowances. N'aww well! Guess I won't be going to Southampton! :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Hi!

Im applying for bm4 at Soton, I'm currently studying biomed (Anatomy) at Cardiff but would love to get into Southampton so that I could live at home whilst studying for medicine.

Currently have 6 months domiciliary care experience and a 2870 on my UKCAT. Although really struggling with my personal statement right now, especially as I know its so important for Southampton. Not sure where else I want to apply either...

Best of luck everyone!
Reply 11
Hello,

I'm applying to Soton as well...

I was considering applying for the 5 year course, but have since realised that I would not be eligible for Tuition Fee funding if I did :frown:

How are others who are applying for both going to fund themselves?

I appreciate any guidance!
Reply 12
Hey

I had this issue as i am applying to both bm4 and bm5 but i am very lucky as my dad has agreed to help me fund it. I realise this is not an option for most people but i looked into loads of options like funding through the services such as army etc. but if im honest it wasnt for me!
You could try looking into things like graduate bank loans (not sure if they still do those) but i totally agree this is a really difficult one.

Good luck though and I hope everyones applications are going well! :smile:
Reply 13
Hi everyone

I have applied for BM4 course. As mentioned by one of the other posters, this is really my 'wild card' choice as well. The selection process seems a bit more mysterious than the other Med Schools.

Fingers crossed!! :smile:
Reply 14
I've applied for it (BM4), although no-one knows exactly what they are looking for, I'd be interested to know Lexxie's background.

I'm not trying to sound patronising, but I am surprised at the number of people who are applying for Medicine and are still in Uni? I understand a lot have done voluntary work, but it really isn't the same as working HCA shifts full-time for a long period. Good luck anyways
Original post by tianuk3
I've applied for it (BM4), although no-one knows exactly what they are looking for, I'd be interested to know Lexxie's background.

I'm not trying to sound patronising, but I am surprised at the number of people who are applying for Medicine and are still in Uni? I understand a lot have done voluntary work, but it really isn't the same as working HCA shifts full-time for a long period. Good luck anyways

True, but a lot of people may have known they wanted to do medicine before they started their degree. For instance, I worked as a HCA part time during college, full time during my gap year, and have been on the bank regularly working for the past 2 years.

Anyway, I've also applied to Southampton.. A bit nervous about this one but had to give it a go! Good luck everybody!
Reply 16
I've applied for Soton BM4 as well :smile: . Applied last year and didn't get in :frown: . Hoping to go there as its nearest to where I live.

I have a 2:1 Biology degree, have volunteered with St John and on an acute elderly ward along with a load of sport. 695 on UKCAT. Managed to find a bit more guidance on my PS this year, so hoping soton like it more!
Reply 17
Anyone received acknowledgement from Soton yet? All 3 other schools have acknowledged my application, apart from Soton :frown:
Reply 18
Only 1 of 4 unis have acknowledged me so far. I wouldn't worry. Last year soton sent out postcards, think they took a couple of weeks to arrive?
Reply 19
Original post by Cattree
Only 1 of 4 unis have acknowledged me so far. I wouldn't worry. Last year soton sent out postcards, think they took a couple of weeks to arrive?

Yeah your probably right, not a big issue anyway as they will acknowledge at one point or another...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending