Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nitrification (OCR 215)

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I understand that plants can absorb both ammonium ions and nitrate ions, nitrites being detrimental to them.

Therefore does the process of nitrification, tHe conversion of ammonium ions to nitrates have any benefit to the plants? Or is it just there to benefit the bacteria involved.

The official OCR text doesn't say anything about why nitrification happens, the nitrates are absorbed by plants but I understand that they are then reduced into ammonium before being used.

What is the importance of nitrification? Or is it purely to benefit the bacteria involved?

Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gibb)
    Hi

I understand that plants can absorb both ammonium ions and nitrate ions, nitrites being detrimental to them.

Therefore does the process of nitrification, tHe conversion of ammonium ions to nitrates have any benefit to the plants? Or is it just there to benefit the bacteria involved.

The official OCR text doesn't say anything about why nitrification happens, the nitrates are absorbed by plants but I understand that they are then reduced into ammonium before being used.

What is the importance of nitrification? Or is it purely to benefit the bacteria involved?

Thanks!

Hii, I think youre getting a bit confused here gibb
    Plants cannot absorb ammonium ions directly
    they have to be converted to nitrites then to nitrates otherwise youre right there wouldnt even be a point if they could absorb them ammonium ions

hope that helps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitroge...e#Assimilation

Wikipedia suggests they can? I might look and see if there are any previous exam questions on this.

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gibb)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitroge...e#Assimilation

Wikipedia suggests they can? I might look and see if there are any previous exam questions on this.

As far as ocr bio4 are concerned i promise you it cant ;p.. let me know though, itll be interesting
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been googling around and there is lots of discussion about this on fish keeping forums. Seems plants can absorb both but I can't find anything reliable about the preference or purpose for absorbing NO3-. I think is it probably one of those annoying parts of the spec where just swallowing the textbook is e better option.

However I will ask my teacher after half term and post here his answer if I remember.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 2, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.