Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Estimation

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubAtomic)
    You said you've never done multiple choice maths questions:eek:
    Yes, i said it.

I haven't done MCQ maths questions, but i have done them for physics and chemistry. In physics and chem, we need to put a cross not a tick or a circle.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raheem94)
    Zed is a year 10 student hoping for an A* in GCSE maths.
    He's hoping for an A* in maths and is asking how to do 410*7*5 without a calculator, I suggest he lowers his expectations or are exams really that easy these days?
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James82)
    He's hoping for an A* in maths and is asking how to do 410*7*5 without a calculator, I suggest he lowers his expectations or are exams really that easy these days?
    He wasn't sure how to find the estimate, he wasn't asking how to 410*7*5 without a calc.

Though i do agree with the latter part of your post, may be GCSE and A-Level exams difficulty needs to be stepped up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raheem94)
    He wasn't sure how to find the estimate, he wasn't asking how to 410*7*5 without a calc.

Though i do agree with the latter part of your post, may be GCSE and A-Level exams difficulty needs to be stepped up.

Actually, he was asking just that:

(Original post by zed963)
    You would round the 6.9 to 7 the 0.23 to 0.2

So you'd have

\displaystyle\frac{410 \times 7}{0.2}
    Its in a non calculator exam.

How would I do it without using a calculator
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James82)
    Actually, he was asking just that:
    Oh i forgot about it.

It just shows how easy are the exams nowadays and drawbacks of them are quite visible...

It wasn't even difficult to find the exact value of this, see this post.

I haven't done GCSE so don't know much about, but from my experience of the maths forum GCSE is probably a joke.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    This is based on the assumption that the OP is, in fact an A* student

In my experience of teaching GCSE the questions asked by Zed are not the questions that an A* student would be asking s
    He considers himself an A* student, i don't know about GCSE but some of the question he asks can probably be done by someone who hasn't even done GCSE. Like this estimate question, i also think it is foolish to ask how to calculate such a value in a non-calc exam.

In my opinion, calculators shouldn't be used in a maths exam, the questions should be based upon giving exact values. There are some more drawbacks of them as well, Like a question i saw on another thread yesterday in which we had to find the exact value of tanx where sinx=1/2 and x is obtuse, and the suggestion given by the other guy was to do tan(arcsin(0.5)) in the calc.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Poor Zed, some of your responses will give him the confidence boost he needs I am sure:rolleyes:

Zed if you want A* at GCSE, before I continue this sentence are you sitting GCSE maths soon or next year?
    13 June to be precise.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 3, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.