Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Medical Gap Year: Becoming a Healthcare Assistant

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rae_)
    Thanks, I've tried but they mostly require a level 3 NVQ :/

Ah nevermind I found a place that doesn't
    You definitely don't need level 3! Not unless you're looking at band 4 posts. I've been a HCA for nearly 2 years now and I didn't need any qualifications, I did however have to do an NVQ level 2 in H&SC on the job but it was very easy and not that much work.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubble87)
    You definitely don't need level 3! Not unless you're looking at band 4 posts. I've been a HCA for nearly 2 years now and I didn't need any qualifications, I did however have to do an NVQ level 2 in H&SC on the job but it was very easy and not that much work.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
    Yeah, most job adverts on the NHS website will say that you either need an NVQ Level 2 or 3 in Health and Social Care, or you must be willing to work towards that particular qualification on the job. As long as you write in the application (in the 'Supporting Statement' section that you're willing to work towards such a qualification, you should be fine)
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sub'd

I've been trying to get a HCA/NA position at the local hospitals for ages and they've always asked for experience in a hospital. I've actually given up and decided to try and get a job in a care home instead!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much got a job in ED after I left school. I've been working in EDs on and off for three years (I have 1 years experience FT, pretty much worked full time over holidays during first two years of uni, currently working PT) and you don't need an NVQ, and I have a a larger skillset and extended roles than any ward based HCA (and some medical students).

Bare in mind most places won't really look favourably on you if you say that you'll only be there for 6 months or less - the time it takes to train you and get you acquainted with everything will basically be when you resign. To be fair, most jobs would be like that. If I recall, most jobs would want you to have 6 months experience - there are a few (and far between) that don't ask for any experience, so read the JDs and person specs carefully.

Being a HCA is probably one of the better jobs for experience, but there are other jobs to look at - phlebotomist (some places will provide training), GP HCAs, OT/Physio/Rehab support workers, ambulance service call handlers etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What medical schools were your 4 offers from?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 10, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.