Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who owns a juicer?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

So I'm trying to lose some weight this summer, and also become more healthy for nicer skin, more vitamins etc

I often drink lots of smoothies which I make in blender/mixer, containing yogurt, bananas, berries and other fruit.

I have been thinking about buying a good juicer so that I can also have vegetables in this way. I am a vegetarian so I really rely on my veggies, but think I should incorporate more into my diet, as right now I eat more fruits than veg.

1) Who has a juicer? Which type/brand do you own? :confused:
    2) How often do you use it?
    3) Do you find it helps your health?
    4) What do you juice?

If you could answer these questions for me that would be AWESOME. Especially would like to know which juicers you reccommend.

Thanks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am confused as to whether you refer to a juicer or a blender. If you mean blender, I have an Asda own brand blender that has thus far blended everything of reasonable softness that I have placed in it (including entire citrus fruits). If you mean juicer, I have a plastic Asda own brand juicer that has juiced every citrus fruit I have placed upon it without breaking.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a juicer, but my boyfriend does. It's an Anthony Worall Thompson one he got from Makro for about £30 but the RRP was £120 or something ridiculous.

He doesn't really use it very often atm, but has done pineapple juice, Apple juice, Kiwi juice, even banana juice (bleugh). He said he finds it a nice way to get some of his 5 a day, but certainly isn't cheaper than buying juice but you get to experiment with fruit and even veg...Could use it for soups too
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrookeDavis)
    Hey guys,

So I'm trying to lose some weight this summer, and also become more healthy for nicer skin, more vitamins etc

I often drink lots of smoothies which I make in blender/mixer, containing yogurt, bananas, berries and other fruit.

I have been thinking about buying a good juicer so that I can also have vegetables in this way. I am a vegetarian so I really rely on my veggies, but think I should incorporate more into my diet, as right now I eat more fruits than veg.

4) What do you juice?

If you could answer these questions for me that would be AWESOME. Especially would like to know which juicers you reccommend.

Thanks!
    I have a juicer, but I can't remember what make it is because it's gathering dust in a box in the cellar. I bought it for all the same kind of reasons that you are thinking of, plus a recipe book. I used it a lot for about 2 weeks and then stopped. Several reasons: they are unbelievably fiddly to strip down and clean each time; the mess is quite considerable and you'd be amazed how little juice you get from the fruit or vegetables. My advice is to buy smoothies in cartons, where all the hard work has been done for you, and it's actually more economical, because the amount of raw material you need works out to be pretty expensive. Sorry to rain on your parade. I thought the idea was fantastic too. Let my disappointment prevent yours.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrookeDavis)
    Hey guys,

4) What do you juice?

Thanks!
    1) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HR18...8679160&sr=8-1
    It's great because it's got a wide chute so you can fit a whole apple in it = no chopping! It's also I believe the best sub £100 centrifugal juicer on the market for getting juice out of the fruit and veg. It makes way more juice than most of the juicers around!

2) Daily

3) Absolutely, I've lost a ton of weight using it, full of energy and feel so overall much more healthy.

4) I will usually have apples and/or pineapples as a base to my juice, as they provide the sweetness and flavour. Then I'll throw in lots of veggies (like you'd planned). The great thing about it is provided you get the proportions right, you pretty much don't taste the veg at all but still get all the nutritional benefits!

My main juice for the mornings is:
    2 apples
    Quarter cucumber
    Handful spinach
    Stick celery
    Quarter pineapple
    Half Avocado
    Quarter Lime

And that's my breakfast, healthy start to the day And really, it tastes so sweet and yummy, no veggy taste.

As for the hassle of cleaning. Yeah it can be a bit of a pain, but the entire process start to finish (getting the stuff out the fridge to cleaning and drying the last bit of the juicer) shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Most meals take that long to prep when you include washing up and drying. If you've got a dishwasher, even easier. I believe all parts of the philips juicer are dishwasher friendly.

It probably works out about £1-£1.50 for about 500ml of juice. Pretty good going considering innocent smoothies are like £1.50 for half that amount!

Hope that helps
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    we bought this beast:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230872045/Product.aspx

unbelievably expensive but my parents said 'we'll have fresh juice everyday and it will be worth it!'

All I can say is:

1. it is very noisy
    2. the mess is hideous, especially oranges because the bits left behind are squeezed to death, dried out and magically glue to the worktop.
    4. It vibrates quite a bit and when you're squeezing fruit into the top, the glass has a habit of moving and the precious juice dribbles away.
    3. we've used it all of about 20 times in ooh 5 years? and this is mainly when we buy excessive amounts of oranges and don't know what to do with them. Even then you get a glassful at most. We have mango smoothie/juice quite a bit with random fruit thrown in but just use the normal blender and don't bother with it.

Sorry to be so negative, it's just very expensive for what seems like a lot of hassle. Maybe it's time to get it out again?

I say, go to Aldi and buy their fresh orange juice because it's the business or just keep on chucking fruit in a blender. Unless you think it will really benefit you and you don't mind cleaning the fiddly parts. I can't say we've tried vegetables though, I think my dad did have a celery and something once?

Otherwise I can say what comes out tastes really good.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mines lying in the corner of an old caravan in our yard

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 3, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.