Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

modern languages at hull

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Caitykinss
I'm thinking of doing Italian as my Free Elective as I'm doing Music and I'm a singer so tend to sing a lot of Italian stuff - it might be helpful to actually understand what I'm singing!

do you sing opera?
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by ddd34
do you sing opera?

Well, I sing arias and such but nothing really overly dramatic! I more sing lieder and song cycles etc.
Reply 22
Original post by Caitykinss
Well, I sing arias and such but nothing really overly dramatic! I more sing lieder and song cycles etc.

that is cool :smile:
Original post by Lory
It's a free elective so I think it will be ok :smile: What about French and German.. both advanced?

Yeah, I guess it's very different from my main languages anyway so less confusion :smile: I'm just doing French advanced, have a German GCSE but no A level =/ Luckily though I'm working with lots of Germans on my gap year at the moment so I have plenty of opportunity to practice :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Helen Mutter
Yeah, I guess it's very different from my main languages anyway so less confusion :smile: I'm just doing French advanced, have a German GCSE but no A level =/ Luckily though I'm working with lots of Germans on my gap year at the moment so I have plenty of opportunity to practice :smile:

Nice :smile: Good luck then and I guess I'll see u in September :biggrin:
Hey!
I've just finished my first year at Hull, studying German and Italian (German advanced, Italian beginners). I know I don't exactly fit as I'm the year above you, but if anyone has any questions about Hull, or the languages department, or anything related to that, feel free to ask me :smile:

If it helps, Hull was my insurance choice. I have loved it this year (I lived in Needler Hall). I've made loads of friends and the tutors for German and Italian are great!

P.S. I don't do translation, but thought that anyone doing German or Italian might appreciate someone to ask! (I'll try to reply as quickly as I can, but atm am in Italy, when I go back to England I might be a bit better!!) :wink:
Reply 26
Original post by RosietheValiant
Hey!
I've just finished my first year at Hull, studying German and Italian (German advanced, Italian beginners). I know I don't exactly fit as I'm the year above you, but if anyone has any questions about Hull, or the languages department, or anything related to that, feel free to ask me :smile:

If it helps, Hull was my insurance choice. I have loved it this year (I lived in Needler Hall). I've made loads of friends and the tutors for German and Italian are great!

P.S. I don't do translation, but thought that anyone doing German or Italian might appreciate someone to ask! (I'll try to reply as quickly as I can, but atm am in Italy, when I go back to England I might be a bit better!!) :wink:

i am a bit curious about the freshers week. how is it like?
Ok, so last year, I moved in to Halls on the Saturday. (I lived in Needler Hall). The weekend was mainly people getting to know each other, on moving in days there were students in higher years who showed you around the halls and helped you. Most people went out on the first night to Asylum (Hull Uni's nightclub on campus).
For me as a languages student, Fresher's week during the day mainly consister of meetings with the department, registering on your course, getting lost, meetng tutors and visiting the AU (Athletic Union) fair and the Societies' Fair where you sign up or sports clubs and societies. I'd encourage you to join at least one society- I made a lot of friends through societies and met my boyfriend in one :wink: haha.

I'm not really a person for clubbing, so when I went out in Fresher's Week it was to the pub mainly. If you're living in Cottingham, The Cross Key's and The Hallgate Tavern are your best bets, though there are other pubs too. Asylum, Sanctuary and John Macarthy Bar (Jonny Mac), the bars and nightclub on campus, had events organised throughout Fresher's Week in the evenings, which you'll find out about when you get your Welcome Pack :smile: I know that the big clubs in town also had big club nights with special offers during Fresher's Week, if that's your kind of thing then it's great.

Basically, by the end of Fresher's, you'll be shattered! The days can be quite busy, depending on how the department chooses to organise things this year.

And hopefully the weather will be kind to you! Last year we had sunshine and hot weather in Fresher's :smile:

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps!
Reply 28
Ok, so last year, I moved in to Halls on the Saturday. (I lived in Needler Hall). The weekend was mainly people getting to know each other, on moving in days there were students in higher years who showed you around the halls and helped you. Most people went out on the first night to Asylum (Hull Uni's nightclub on campus).
For me as a languages student, Fresher's week during the day mainly consister of meetings with the department, registering on your course, getting lost, meetng tutors and visiting the AU (Athletic Union) fair and the Societies' Fair where you sign up or sports clubs and societies. I'd encourage you to join at least one society- I made a lot of friends through societies and met my boyfriend in one :wink: haha.

I'm not really a person for clubbing, so when I went out in Fresher's Week it was to the pub mainly. If you're living in Cottingham, The Cross Key's and The Hallgate Tavern are your best bets, though there are other pubs too. Asylum, Sanctuary and John Macarthy Bar (Jonny Mac), the bars and nightclub on campus, had events organised throughout Fresher's Week in the evenings, which you'll find out about when you get your Welcome Pack :smile: I know that the big clubs in town also had big club nights with special offers during Fresher's Week, if that's your kind of thing then it's great.

Basically, by the end of Fresher's, you'll be shattered! The days can be quite busy, depending on how the department chooses to organise things this year.

And hopefully the weather will be kind to you! Last year we had sunshine and hot weather in Fresher's :smile:

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps!

even though it sound like a busy week, im still excited. hopefully i will get the required results :smile:
Original post by ddd34
even though it sound like a busy week, im still excited. hopefully i will get the required results :smile:

Haha yes it is a very busy week, but it is exciting. It can be a bit scary, I was very homesick, but you just have to remember that everyone is in the same boat, so just try and make friends :smile: It gets easier once you get used to it :smile:
Hey!

Hei i have to start this year and do french and spanish? But im a bit worried about how hard exams and lessons will be.. Because english is not my first language and it's my first experience at uni.. What do you think?
Original post by ddd34
who is doing two modern languages at hull uni with translation? :smile:

I applied for Combined Languages but might change to just a joint honours of Spanish and French/German :smile:
Original post by lswift07
I applied for Combined Languages but might change to just a joint honours of Spanish and French/German :smile:

Im so scared
Original post by Charlene93
Im so scared

If you're worried or nervous about anything just email Kerry Dobson at [email protected] , she's literally the most helpful person and responds with 24 hours which is great. She'll put your mind at ease and offer any support available to you. :smile: Don't worry too much x
Original post by lswift07
If you're worried or nervous about anything just email Kerry Dobson at [email protected] , she's literally the most helpful person and responds with 24 hours which is great. She'll put your mind at ease and offer any support available to you. :smile: Don't worry too much x

Thank youu 😊
Reply 35
I am aware that this is a relatively old post but I do start Spanish and Italian joint in September and I am looking for a little information. I have used Mr Google to very little avail so have resorted to asking the question myself.
What is a typical timetabled week like for the language Department? Are we given set tasks to have learnt in set time frames? For example vocab lists or specific grammar exercises.
Will I be given a good amount of time for self study as my learning style is a very individual one?

Any advice would be great. I am staying in Taylor Court by the way when I get there.

Cheers

Ash
The timetable varies between department, but I've just finished my final year and I had about 13 hours a week, though of course this does depend on which languages you do and what other modules you take, as some have slightly more than others. This is a similar amount to what I had in the other years too. Certainly Italian this year was 4-5 hours a week, depending on the week. I can't say about Spanish, my housemate did it and she had 4 hours a week I think, but it may have been more, I can't quite remember. It's not too full on though, so you'll have plenty of time for individual study. Also, on a slightly different note, the Italian staff are lovely and will give you plenty of guidance about how much you should be doing and what you should be learning etc. Good luck! :smile: I loved studying at Hull and am really going to miss it!
Reply 37
The timetable varies between department, but I've just finished my final year and I had about 13 hours a week, though of course this does depend on which languages you do and what other modules you take, as some have slightly more than others. This is a similar amount to what I had in the other years too. Certainly Italian this year was 4-5 hours a week, depending on the week. I can't say about Spanish, my housemate did it and she had 4 hours a week I think, but it may have been more, I can't quite remember. It's not too full on though, so you'll have plenty of time for individual study. Also, on a slightly different note, the Italian staff are lovely and will give you plenty of guidance about how much you should be doing and what you should be learning etc. Good luck! :smile: I loved studying at Hull and am really going to miss it!

Cheers Rosie. How would you rate your level of language after having finished your course?

Quick Reply

Latest