Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PS2/USB Adapter Question

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, quick question about PS2/USB Adapter.

My CPU packed in, so I want to play some games on my laptop over the summer, however playing games on my laptop keyboard isn't very good!

I want to plug in the keyboard from my CPU into my laptop but it has one of those old-style connections (the green one - I think this is ps2?)..

To solve this issue do I simply need to purchase a PS2/USB Adapter?

I found this cheap one on amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWLink-USB-...8715485&sr=1-2), is this good enough?

Help appreciated. Thanks.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: Apparantly I was wrong. It will not work. Only if your laptop accepts PS/2 signal will it work.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    EDIT: Apparantly I was wrong. It will not work. Only if your laptop accepts PS/2 signal will it work.
    This is correct. Those adapters don't actually change the signal, so it's up to the device it's being plugged into to offer legacy support. You might be lucky, but it all depends on the laptop.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    This is correct. Those adapters don't actually change the signal, so it's up to the device it's being plugged into to offer legacy support. You might be lucky, but it all depends on the laptop.
    How can I find out if it accepts PS/2 signal? It's a brand new HP laptop (i've only had it for 5 months), i5, 4gb ram etc. The keyboard is about 5-6 years old (Compaq) but still is in good shape.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    How can I find out if it accepts PS/2 signal? It's a brand new HP laptop (i've only had it for 5 months), i5, 4gb ram etc. The keyboard is about 5-6 years old (Compaq) but still is in good shape.
    Hmm well if you give me the model number of your laptop I'll try have a google round but I'm not sure.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well if you give me the model number of your laptop I'll try have a google round but I'm not sure.
    Not sure of the exact number but it's Pavilion G6 series.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you find out whether your laptop supports it and it doesn't, you can use an active adapter.
    e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Male-Female-...8717970&sr=1-4

No idea if it's any good, but it's what you need.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Not sure of the exact number but it's Pavilion G6 series.
    I can't find anything online saying it'll support ps2 so I doubt it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    If you find out whether your laptop supports it and it doesn't, you can use an active adapter.
    e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Male-Female-...8717970&sr=1-4

No idea if it's any good, but it's what you need.
    I can't find anything online saying it'll support ps2 so I doubt it.
    I think what toosh has suggested is what should work. I think active adapters help solve the signal issue. I'll buy one and check it out in a week or two.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 3, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.