Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question about being insured as a second driver at the same address?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My sister works for the RAF and she lives at her base which like 3 hours away from where I live (Birmingham). I'm her brother (18 years old) and i want to be insured in her car for one month, now my sister will be taking time off from her job and she's taking 4 weeks off and i want to get insured during that time. She's coming home for that 4 weeks off, and she usually comes home in the weekends anyway.

So, she rang her insurance company and she told her that I want to get insured for a month on her car. She didn't say anything about her moving to Birmingham for a month or whatever etc the person on the phone asked for her ID details for her account on this insurance company, her address, MY DOB and how long i have had my licence for (8 months).. Then they gave a quote for £180 pounds which is dead cheap! Now, i was quite shocked because if you get insured in my area, you'd be paying a lot!! (crime rates are high etc)..

So shall i get insured? Despite the fact the person on the phone did not ask for MY address?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hmm.. Not sure lad, but i'd like to know the answer to this question!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If it was me, I would make sure that the insurance company had ALL of the information because if you had an accident, the insurance company would most certainly check out everything and if they find even the smallest discrepancy, they will cancel the insurance and you will be given the bill for the damage to both cars (provided that it was your fault of course) you could be prosecuted by the police for driving without insurance and your sisters car could be impounded by them, there is also the question of any injuries to any other person and if you are not insured, you could be sued by the injured person costing many thousands of pounds, this is all looking on the black side of course but it has happened before because insurance companies are now looking for ways to avoid pay outs on claims, I don`t think that telling them that the car is at a different address will make that much difference to the premium anyway, I would have thought that your age would be the telling factor, if you are thinking of an insurance for the year so that you can use her car at the week ends that she is at home, the cost will be much greater, they may not even insure you.I ask people, such as you, that if you have any questions about automobile insurances, that the said insurance company be contacted with accurate information and then the most correct information shall be provided. In your case, from my point of view, this issue was clouded by your misconception as to auto insurance coverages. Your sister visiting you at your home during her holiday period has insurance coverages for herself and anyone she authorizes to drive her car. Her address is her address. But by adding your for 30 days the insurance company assumes that you shall visit her and the annual policy was modified to include the added monthly payment. In my view, this was in error, and that extra money, even as cheap as you think it might be, was not even necessary. She needs to contact her insurance company and explain, correctly, that she will on holiday and that during that holiday that family or friends may drive her car. Does she need extra coverages? It is my belief that no extra coverages are required. Part of owning a car is to travel and to visit family and friends. That is part of the policy. She needs to place that call and clarify the situation. Go from there. Best of luck.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Abed, its me Shammas, whats happenin bro lol, £180 is cheap, especially if its all legit, and they gonna know your adress anyway cause they gonna ask for a scanning of your licence, I think you should go for it, seeing as its on your sisters insurance, but your gonna be getting pulled over quite a lot cause of car being registered on your sister's name. And lozells postcode isnt gonna effect it much tbh so dw about that

Bro check out Co op young driver insurance on the internet, write your dad/sister as main driver, and put yourself as second driver, they fit this smart box in your car, it tracks your speed and times your driving etc then they refund you a few hundred each 3 months depending on your driving style, proper cheap quotes. Im getting insured with them within the nex few weeks for £1300 fully comp on a Civic, i can get it as £950 for the year on a micra, check them out alright. Safe
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shammas1993)
    Abed, its me Shammas, whats happenin bro lol, £180 is cheap, especially if its all legit, and they gonna know your adress anyway cause they gonna ask for a scanning of your licence, I think you should go for it, seeing as its on your sisters insurance, but your gonna be getting pulled over quite a lot cause of car being registered on your sister's name. And lozells postcode isnt gonna effect it much tbh so dw about that

Bro check out Co op young driver insurance on the internet, write your dad/sister as main driver, and put yourself as second driver, they fit this smart box in your car, it tracks your speed and times your driving etc then they refund you a few hundred each 3 months depending on your driving style, proper cheap quotes. Im getting insured with them within the nex few weeks for £1300 fully comp on a Civic, i can get it as £950 for the year on a micra, check them out alright. Safe
    YESYES CHUMUCH!! Didn't you know you're on TSR?
    Text me bro, i still i lost your number lol

and safe i'll check it out

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 5, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.