The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Living costs in Leeds

Hi,

I'm an international student coming to Leeds this Sep. I'm estimating my budget.
Anyone can give me some ideas on the monthly living expense in Leeds?

I'll apply for Halls and probably will have £300 left each month to cover food/travel/household goods, etc. Will this be enough?

Any advice will be helpful. :smile: Thanks

Scroll to see replies

This year i managed to live on £40 a week when i really needed to. I'd say you need about £60-£70 a week if you don't want to cut back on anything so £300 a month should be fine
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I was just going to ask the same question. I was hoping to stay around 1,000 pounds per month, including rent, food and bills. Does everyone think this is possible.
Reply 3
Original post by ashleighriot
This year i managed to live on £40 a week when i really needed to. I'd say you need about £60-£70 a week if you don't want to cut back on anything so £300 a month should be fine

Would that be enough for nights out too?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Jippet
Would that be enough for nights out too?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I spent £25 a week on food and £10 on bills, I cycled to uni so the rest of the money can be used on clothes or going out. I paid my rent in advance and £3000 was plenty for the year for everything else!
Reply 5
Original post by lovers in japan
I spent £25 a week on food and £10 on bills, I cycled to uni so the rest of the money can be used on clothes or going out. I paid my rent in advance and £3000 was plenty for the year for everything else!

£3,000 per year on living costs?? Can I ask how you managed that, aside from what was mentioned above.
Reply 6
Hey I'm in a similar situation as the thread starter. After accomodation and bills, I have about 300-400 pounds a month, is it enough for food, eating out, transport, entertainment, photocopies and others?
Gonna start living in Leeds in September, so wondering the same thing... :smile:
Original post by BryanUsrey
£3,000 per year on living costs?? Can I ask how you managed that, aside from what was mentioned above.

Again, like I said, I was lucky that my rent was paid, and then I just had the standard loan. I went out plenty, but I'm a lightweight and got drunk quickly, only went clubbing on Thursday for £1 entry and had £1-£1.50 drinks, didn't have takeaways and cooked from scratch and didn't buy hardly any clothes. It can be done! I was probably in Leeds for 30 weeks of the year, so you have definitely got enough for that!
Reply 9
Original post by lovers in japan
Again, like I said, I was lucky that my rent was paid, and then I just had the standard loan. I went out plenty, but I'm a lightweight and got drunk quickly, only went clubbing on Thursday for £1 entry and had £1-£1.50 drinks, didn't have takeaways and cooked from scratch and didn't buy hardly any clothes. It can be done! I was probably in Leeds for 30 weeks of the year, so you have definitely got enough for that!

So do you think it would be possible to live on £10,000 per year, or maybe a bit higher?
So do you think it would be possible to live on £10,000 per year, or maybe a bit higher?

If you are not including tuition fees, then yes definitely. I have friends who spent £2500 on rent for the year, maybe £500 on bills and then £2500 all other living costs. :smile:
Reply 11
Yes, that is without tuition. Thanks for the help. Now to find a place to stay! :biggrin:
Might I suggest you try looking for rooms in shared houses through private (Unipol approved/certified) landlords... at this point heavy discounts are offered, as most freshers live in halls and returning students will have signed for somewhere in February/March. Try the Unipol website first :smile:
Reply 13
That's where I've been looking, and I have been in contact with a few people here and there. It seems that half of the emails I send out in response to ads are responded too, but that's expected. It's hard to find a place with just two or less people in the house, as most have four or more. Not to mention one that accommodating to a couple.
Reply 14
I'd say if you're going for cheap accomodation, budget about £85 per week for that, then about £40 a week for everything else on top as long as you're watching your wallet. Leeds can be very wallet-friendly if you're dilligent, but eager to part money from fools.
Reply 15
I really don't want a loan, as I've been saving for years to ensure that I don't have to get one. If I can keep it to 1,000 per month, I'll have 9,000 extra for fun or random expenses.

So, it seems that because I am bringing my wife with me, student landlords are charging me for two rooms, which I can understand. I have found one place for 520 per month with 40 or so in bills per month. Would that work to stay under 1000 with food and other extras, or would I be pushing my luck to far?
Reply 16
Along with my previous question, what is Burley like? Especially the area around LS6 1LR. Is is relatively safe area where one can walk at night without incident?
Along with my previous question, what is Burley like? Especially the area around LS6 1LR. Is is relatively safe area where one can walk at night without incident?

My best friend lived in that area, I lived just up the road, it's safe, police patrol it regularly, there's a Sainsburys, a Co-op and a very cheap shop attached to the mosque. Good transport by train to the centre, and two bus routes (19/19A and 56) :smile:
Reply 18
I really don't want a loan, as I've been saving for years to ensure that I don't have to get one. If I can keep it to 1,000 per month, I'll have 9,000 extra for fun or random expenses.

So, it seems that because I am bringing my wife with me, student landlords are charging me for two rooms, which I can understand. I have found one place for 520 per month with 40 or so in bills per month. Would that work to stay under 1000 with food and other extras, or would I be pushing my luck to far?

I am applying for Leeds too (School of Engineering). I am in the same situation, bringing my wife with me. So, is it possible for a couple to live with 1,000 per month (accommodation, food, transport, etc)?
Reply 19
Original post by jo_azevedo
I am applying for Leeds too (School of Engineering). I am in the same situation, bringing my wife with me. So, is it possible for a couple to live with 1,000 per month (accommodation, food, transport, etc)?

I am thinking yes, but only if you can find the right accommodation. I have been doing a lot of research, and it does like it can possible, as long as you don't go out every night of the week and blow tons of money at the pubs.

Are you looking for housemates or do you want to live along with your wife? The former can be tough to work out.

Quick Reply

Latest