The Student Room Group

Any real advantages of CPE/GDL over LLB?

Hi! Are there any real advantages in studying something else first and then going on to do the grad law course? I mean wouldn't it be easier to get a job after a solid 3-year background in law? In my case, I've got an offer from Warwick Law School for the LLB. But then I also applied to Cambridge to study history and have an offer from Girton College. These are the two choices I'm willing to consider and I'm having a DAMN hard time deciding which one to choose. I want to practice law some day, but I really do enjoy studying history. However, history isnt a strictly vocational course, so I guess I am worried that if I take history Ill be at a disadvantage if I want to become a lawyer. Also, if you take the CPE route to qualification, can you apply to do an LLM (or do most unis require an undergraduate degree in law)? Any advice/insights welcome!
Reply 1
Sleepyfinn
Hi! Are there any real advantages in studying something else first and then going on to do the grad law course? I mean wouldn't it be easier to get a job after a solid 3-year background in law? In my case, I've got an offer from Warwick Law School for the LLB. But then I also applied to Cambridge to study history and have an offer from Girton College. These are the two choices I'm willing to consider and I'm having a DAMN hard time deciding which one to choose. I want to practice law some day, but I really do enjoy studying history. However, history isnt a strictly vocational course, so I guess I am worried that if I take history Ill be at a disadvantage if I want to become a lawyer. Also, if you take the CPE route to qualification, can you apply to do an LLM (or do most unis require an undergraduate degree in law)? Any advice/insights welcome!

If you don't mind extra year of studies and feel that you can get a 1st class degree - go to Cambridge. There are plenty examples of CPE graduates suceeding, especially having studied at a top uni for the undergrad degree.

As for LLM, I think you need to check with the uni itself (although I think they ask for an undergrad degree in general, not just law). However, I think if you want to to an LLM after qualification it won't matter whether you have LLB or CPE.
Reply 2
One more thing: be warned that CPE is not a walk in the park. It is the same as LLB but crammed into just one year of studying. 7 areas of law and Legal system! Imagine doing 16 courseworks in one year! :smile:
Reply 3
kapish
One more thing: be warned that CPE is not a walk in the park. It is the same as LLB but crammed into just one year of studying. 7 areas of law and Legal system! Imagine doing 16 courseworks in one year! :smile:

I'm on the CPE at the moment and we actually only have 5 courseworks (joint Land/ Trusts and Tort/ Contract) plus a legal research essay. That doesn't mean it isn't very intensive, though, as there's more resting on each assignment and we still have masses to do for each seminar.
Reply 4
I'm on the CPE at the moment...

Just out of curiosity, what did you do/study before taking the CPE? Did you have any previous 'legal' experience like vacation placements at law firms, etc?
Reply 5
Sleepyfinn
Just out of curiosity, what did you do/study before taking the CPE? Did you have any previous 'legal' experience like vacation placements at law firms, etc?

I studied Music at Bristol and then worked in admin jobs for a few years and went travelling. I didn't do any formal vac schemes before starting the CPE, but did do one-week placements in 2 fairly big firms.
Reply 6
Sleepyfinn

You mention that history is not a vocational course; at university, neither is law.

You will not be putting yourself at a disadvantage if you decide to study a subject other than law as an undergraduate. This is well-documented. Law firms, on average, take just as many non-law graduates as they take law graduates.
Reply 7
There is also another possibility. If you were to take the History course at Girton you might apply to transfer to the Law Tripos for your second year; to take a two year Part IB, II in Law. Due to the Cambridge Tripos system, unlike some other Universities, it is not impossible to change, and in fact to change into law is quite common. There is a special two year course in place for this to ensure that you take all of the exempting subjects. Over my time in the College there tended to be around two changeovers a year into Law at Girton.
Reply 8
Advantages:
- Law degrees are generally dull
- Choosing to study a subject you enjoy isn't
- Firms are now taking pretty much a 50/50 split law/non in terms of trainees and as there are generally less non-law people wanting to swap you have the upper hand
- Firms actively -prefer- non-law grads, for example philosophy, because they see them as a having a creativity and skills to offer that you would not necessarily find in someone who has studied law, for which there are pretty much 'right' and 'wrong' answers

Disadvantages
-Extra year of study
-Expensive if paying your own way through
-Means you won't qualify until you are 24 in most cases which is a while to not earn 'real' money, though NQ salaries are very attractive :wink:
Reply 9
i may do the same after eco degree
Reply 10
Originally Posted by PDJM
There is also another possibility. If you were to take the History course at Girton you might apply to transfer to the Law Tripos for your second year; to take a two year Part IB, II in Law. Due to the Cambridge Tripos system, unlike some other Universities, it is not impossible to change, and in fact to change into law is quite common. There is a special two year course in place for this to ensure that you take all of the exempting subjects. Over my time in the College there tended to be around two changeovers a year into Law at Girton.

I contacted Girton and transferring is indeed possible. It would mean four years of study though, because History has a 2-year Part I.

Latest

Trending

Trending