The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 May 2012 Questions (not actual paper)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by niaghez
yes and you could have said that one enzyme might have a coenzyme attached to it

so i get 1 mark there and the dna difference said different bases and different DNA replications and difference sequence of bases
Reply 21
Original post by otrivine
so i get 1 mark there and the dna difference said different bases and different DNA replications and difference sequence of bases

yeah i said due to different bases and sequences of bases. and perhaps different alleles of the same gene
Reply 22
Original post by niaghez
yeah i said due to different bases and sequences of bases. and perhaps different alleles of the same gene

the question on the difference of kingdom and domain i said 3 domains name the three and said differet rna polymerase ?

the agriculture i said like more susceptible to disease , predatation and talked about saying lower protein content?
Reply 23
well you did better than me in those questions. i forgot to say rna polymerase :frown: and for agriculture i said lower yields due to more susceptibility to disease. wooo
Reply 24
My guess would be that the mark scheme would be pretty open to discussion on the 'suggest' questions in this exam but I put down that the enzyme could have a different primary structure which leads it to having a different tertiary structure and active site shape
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by niaghez
well you did better than me in those questions. i forgot to say rna polymerase :frown: and for agriculture i said lower yields due to more susceptibility to disease. wooo

and for the question on benedicts with out calorimeter
i said heat at 80 with benedicts and gives red ppt and filter ppt is that worth 3/4 marks ?
Reply 26
the question on the difference of kingdom and domain i said 3 domains name the three and said differet rna polymerase ?

the agriculture i said like more susceptible to disease , predatation and talked about saying lower protein content?

Yeah, I said the same for the domain question, named the 3, said that there is a difference between prokaryotes but eukaryotes are seen the same and said differences are in protein synthesis, rna structure etc
Reply 27
Original post by Amz1217
Yeah, I said the same for the domain question, named the 3, said that there is a difference between prokaryotes but eukaryotes are seen the same and said differences are in protein synthesis, rna structure etc

yes hopefully its enough for 3 marks and then for the elastin do you think is enough for 5 mark i said like elastin is substrate collides with active site fits around substrate and destabilizes the enzmye (substrate cant remember) and leaves a strain of substrate then said like E.S.C forms and i said when it is broken down the shape of the product is different so can no longer bind to active site so that a different substrate can bind?
Reply 28
and for the question on benedicts with out calorimeter
i said heat at 80 with benedicts and gives red ppt and filter ppt is that worth 3/4 marks ?

If you detailed the preparation well which is add Benedicts etc (you should have said EXCESS Benedicts) then that should be 3 mark minimum, maybe even 4
Reply 29
yes hopefully its enough for 3 marks and then for the elastin do you think is enough for 5 mark i said like elastin is substrate collides with active site fits around substrate and destabilizes the enzmye (substrate cant remember) and leaves a strain of substrate then said like E.S.C forms and i said when it is broken down the shape of the product is different so can no longer bind to active site so that a different substrate can bind?

I don't really get the last part, lol but I think you'll get around 3 marks, I said the substrate was elastin molecues, the enzyme was neutrophile elastase, the active site slightly changes shape which allows an ESC to form and elastin to be broken down, hope I get 3/4 marks for it, don't know what the last mark could have been
Reply 30
Original post by Amz1217
I don't really get the last part, lol but I think you'll get around 3 marks, I said the substrate was elastin molecues, the enzyme was neutrophile elastase, the active site slightly changes shape which allows an ESC to form and elastin to be broken down, hope I get 3/4 marks for it, don't know what the last mark could have been

we wrote the same thing but should be full marks cause i described the whole thing as in book?
Reply 31
we wrote the same thing but should be full marks cause i described the whole thing as in book?

Yeah, your more likely to get that last mark coz you said that destabalising stuff, they'll take it into consideration
Reply 32
Original post by Amz1217
Yeah, your more likely to get that last mark coz you said that destabalising stuff, they'll take it into consideration

and the question non reducing did you say boil with HCL and neutrailse with hydrogen carbonate then repeat same experiment as in reducing sugars
Reply 33
and the question non reducing did you say boil with HCL and neutrailse with hydrogen carbonate then repeat same experiment as in reducing sugars

Yeah, said the same also chucked in that HCL hydrolyses the bonds for fun, lol
Reply 34
Original post by Amz1217
Yeah, said the same also chucked in that HCL hydrolyses the bonds for fun, lol

oh yes i said that as well to secure my third mark lool in case :wink:
do you think is 66 for A?
Reply 35
oh yes i said that as well to secure my third mark lool in case :wink:
do you think is 66 for A?

I think the mark to get an A will still be in the 60's region, could be the same mark or maybe 65 since people who sat this exam are mainly people doing it for the first time and not re-sitters
Reply 36
Original post by Amz1217
I think the mark to get an A will still be in the 60's region, could be the same mark or maybe 65 since people who sat this exam are mainly people doing it for the first time and not re-sitters

hopefully so if its low 60s will 80 marks be full UMS?
Reply 37
hopefully so if its low 60s will 80 marks be full UMS?

Should be, depends on how many people nationally get above 80 but that should be good enough for full UMS
Reply 38
Original post by Amz1217
Should be, depends on how many people nationally get above 80 but that should be good enough for full UMS

woow :wink: hopefully
for the molecular i said dna sequencing and embryology and for the other question i said fossil dates foosil compare sequecne of dna e.t.c
Reply 39
woow :wink: hopefully
for the molecular i said dna sequencing and embryology and for the other question i said fossil dates foosil compare sequecne of dna e.t.c

I put down DNA base sequence and Protein synthesis, I'm not sure about embryology since it was based on molecular evidence and for the diff species one I'll probs get 1 mark for it coz all I said was mate them and see for infertile offspring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending