The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Support Chemistry at Sussex!!!

:mad: I'm sure loads of you have heard about the ridiculous plans by the VC at Sussex Uni to close the Chemistry dept. The dept is one of the highest rated depts in the uni, and one of the highest rated Chemistry depts in the country.

Sussex students won't take this lying down and will protest for as long as it takes. There have already been demonstrations, petitions and meetings trying to stop the closure, and there will be more. But the more support we can get the better, so if you think it's madness to ignore the students, staff and Nobel Prize winners all protesting at this, then please lend your support to our campaign.

Go to the Sussex Student Union forum and add your support

http://forum.ussu.dnsupdate.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2

and add your name to the website petition that's been set up to let the VC know what we think of him and his stupid plans.

http://www.scas.streamlinenettrial.co.uk/public_html/SCAS/index.htm

The more support we have the better, whether you're a previous, current or prospective student, at another uni, or just don't want to see a great uni run into the ground by incompetent management- join the protest, and let's hope that student power can prevail!!!:eek:
Yeah, I saw a fair few posters around when I visited the campus today.

When I asked someone what 'Sort US Out' was, he just said 'no comment'. Kind of sucks how they can't be open about something to potential students.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
He probably didn't know enough about it to give you a fair and adequate explanation. :smile:
Reply 3
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/4815842.stm Bump. (You can see my friend's boyfriend in that :eek:)

I turned up for a very short while, but I had a very important seminar to go to. I was at the back not doing much anyway.

What exactly does it mean for chem students? My friend's a first year chem student. Will they HAVE to find a new place to transfer to, or will the department be so underfunded by the end that for the sake of their degree they should really transfer?

They must have had this planned for months, a year maybe.. A bit cheeky to announce it now than be honest when these people were applying...
dogtanian
What exactly does it mean for chem students? My friend's a first year chem student. Will they HAVE to find a new place to transfer to, or will the department be so underfunded by the end that for the sake of their degree they should really transfer?

The latter, I think. They could stay, but there's really not much point in them doing so...

I think it's cheeky waiting til the last week of term when they know there won't be much opposition for the next four weeks! Feel so sorry for the people on that course :frown:
Reply 5
Hmm. I did actually speak to my friend about it since I posted that. She's pleased that they've delayed the decision, and it's sort of gone over the VC's head a bit more now, but she's started researching transfering to another university. Hmm.

EDIT: And she was on Meridian. Booya.
Reply 6
Heh, the protest was pretty good...

felt a bit cheeky to don a lab coat, but it helped the overall look.
Proper coverage (BBC), great atmosphere, but... bloody freezing! :P
Reply 7
Well the VCs gonna get a good grilling by the MPs in Parliament as hes been ordered to attend a select committee hearing! I'm gonna try go up and watch. Also, he could have made himself look a bit more presentable on South-East Today. Watch the politcs show tomoz for longer coverage!
Reply 8
How did he do?

Would have watched, but I'm in Germany. On a German keyböard. Which is kind öf döing my heäd in.

;-D
Reply 9
Hearing not till later this month. Remember the overdraft wise one! Only joking!
Reply 10
im in germany too :biggrin:

there was a demo by mainly teachers and some students in the first week of holidays...coincided with a very busy campus tour day, lots of people standing around with AUT signs saying "save the university"...

the uni website said the senate had decided to go on with the plan to "invest in excellence...".........???
I think the VC's up in Westminster tomorrow... I'll get an update from my Chemistry friend when I can :biggrin:
Reply 12
rarely_may
im in germany too :biggrin:

So's the SU Comms Officer. Bizarre. Something about the Sussex student demographic, perhaps? All Germanophiles... :biggrin:

there was a demo by mainly teachers and some students in the first week of holidays...coincided with a very busy campus tour day, lots of people standing around with AUT signs saying "save the university"...

Wow. Excellent...

the uni website said the senate had decided to go on with the plan to "invest in excellence...".........???

But it's also posted up a very defensive rehash of its line of reasoning for the chemistry re-organisation, which indicates that whilst senate might have approved the majority of its plans, the chemistry bit is proving problematic.

EDIT: OMG, just caught our VC having a face-off with Colin Pillinger (sideburns guy from the Mars probe) about the value of Science on Channel 4 News. Random.
Reply 13
Wise One

EDIT: OMG, just caught our VC having a face-off with Colin Pillinger (sideburns guy from the Mars probe) about the value of Science on Channel 4 News. Random.

I saw that too, I thought he might have something interesting to say but all I heard was blah blah blah blah blah. Not a fan.
Reply 14
Wise One

I saw that too, I thought he might have something interesting to say but all I heard was blah blah blah blah blah. Not a fan. (of the VC, not the lovely Colin!)
Reply 15
rach13
I saw that too, I thought he might have something interesting to say but all I heard was blah blah blah blah blah. Not a fan. (of the VC, not the lovely Colin!)
If you want to see him squirm under John Snow's scary questioning you can watch it on the Channel 4 news website

There is a full list of all the publicity the campaign has been getting nationally on the USSU forum - click here to check it out

Jo x

Latest