The Student Room Group

Prom - Won't wear a dress

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by CollateralElement
Advice. That's all it is. That's the point of this thread. You don't like it, post your own. I couldn't care less. This is what I thought and the thread starter really didn't care. I never stated that someone's sexuality needed to fit a certain form. I'm quite proud of those who come out and are proud about it. But why should I have to explain myself to you? I don't need your approval to live my own.

But really, why should you care what I say, then? Did you simply come over here, to lap up positive ratings by throwing your world-human-rights freedom act lectures in my face? It's flattering to think that you seem to care about what I have to say.

Read my comment properly. Then decide what kind of junk you want to spew. Because, seriously, I'm a little bemused.

Actually I did care, I just didn't say anything because I was being polite.
I would much prefer that my sister is happy and comfortable with what she wears than that she fits in. And actually, I am proud of her for having the confidence to do so, rather than trying to fit in with the social norms.
Reply 81
Original post by sassy123
I would go with a playsuit but would it kill her to wear a dress just for a few hours?

Probably not, but she'd feel incredibly uncomfortable. She doesn't even really want to go, but her friends are making her.
Reply 82
Original post by Aula
Probably not, but she'd feel incredibly uncomfortable. She doesn't even really want to go, but her friends are making her.

Has she come to you for help? And you're making her too? :tongue:
Reply 83
Original post by Hopple
Has she come to you for help? And you're making her too? :tongue:

No, actually our mother came to me for help. My sister wants to just go in the suit she has, my mum wants her to at least wear a black suit. Thought I'd ask on here for additional ideas. :tongue:
Reply 84
Original post by Iron Lady
People like you disgust me.

Well looking at your username YOU disgust me.
Original post by Aula

Surely she doesn't have to go? Her friends might be disappointed but if they are her friends they will respect her choice. They could organise a trip later WITHOUT big dresses!
There is no point spending money on a nice outfit, the ticket etc if she really doen't want to go.
I just think that it is her decision to make, sorry if I seem abrupt :blushing:
Reply 86
Original post by Aula
No, actually our mother came to me for help. My sister wants to just go in the suit she has, my mum wants her to at least wear a black suit. Thought I'd ask on here for additional ideas. :tongue:

That's messed up XD Her friends have turned her whole family into a pressure group :tongue:

I'd say if your sister has a costume (outfit?) that she is happy going in, and won't get thrown out/arrested for it, then that's good enough :tongue:
Reply 87
Original post by Hopple
That's messed up XD Her friends have turned her whole family into a pressure group :tongue:

I'd say if your sister has a costume (outfit?) that she is happy going in, and won't get thrown out/arrested for it, then that's good enough :tongue:

Yeah, I've said to my mum that I think the suit she has is actually okay. It's not great, but she could get away with it. That suit's a little bit short for her though, and she needs new suits for sixth form next year anyway, so the best compromise may be to get a black suit which she can wear for that.

We shall just have to wait and see. My mother's not going to try and push her too hard about any outfit choices or even go shopping until after the final exam, which will then leave her with about 3 or 4 days to find something... :erm:
Reply 88
Original post by sassy123
Well looking at your username YOU disgust me.

Your attitude is so poor - wearing a dress just because a trouser suit is so bad?

If anyone says anything, they're insecure and petty.

I can't believe some of the suggestions on here. Where do you draw the line? Change hobbies because someone says it's "uncool"? The goal is to stop the bullies, not encourage them by making trouser suits seem repulsive.

Very disappointing TSR, I thought we were all in the same boat.
Reply 89
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Surely she doesn't have to go? Her friends might be disappointed but if they are her friends they will respect her choice. They could organise a trip later WITHOUT big dresses!
There is no point spending money on a nice outfit, the ticket etc if she really doen't want to go.
I just think that it is her decision to make, sorry if I seem abrupt :blushing:

Exactly. Proms are laughable tbh.
Reply 90
Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x

but yeah trouser suits other option... there just a bit old... and well i think boring :frown: lol

That's exactly what I think of them! haha :biggrin:
Reply 91
Original post by Aula
So my sister has got her year 11 ball coming up, but she hates wearing dresses. Her opinion of prom was 'I don't even want to go, but my friends are forcing me'.
We're thinking perhaps a trouser suit of some kind.

She's getting pretty tall and is very slim, and adores the colour orange. Are there any ideas or suggestions?

How about a jumpsuit? with really tall high heels? I think that would look nice to a prom 'cause you can get bright coloured ones that are suitable, and I really like the black ones you can get too, I was considering wearing one to my sixth form prom! Have a look online, if you look at some of the ones that have been worn to red carpet events you'l get an idea of what I mean I think, and try find a cheaper version, I feel that a black trouser suit might look a little boring..

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 92
Some examples of what I mean :smile:

These kinda look like dresses:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Vim5J2IolKU/ScD9S6U0JRI/AAAAAAAABnE/wTHG1dTRI10/s400/1_jumpsuits_01_02_09.jpg

The third one out of these is nice too:

http://www.umekobeautyfashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Jumpsuit-available-to-everyone.jpg

Asos have some really nice ones right now and there on sale, and you can dress them up or down, and chuck a blazor ontop for a more formal look xD

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 93
Black jumpsuit from phase 8 and a black suit jacket were the final choice (I suspect under sufferance).

I've not seen it on, but my mother says it looks stunning on her.

Cheers for the help guys :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending