The Student Room Group
Loz2402
Can someone help me out with the following question please. :smile: im fine with the interpolation process however i cant rearrange the equation due to the "e"

Show that a root of the equation 4 = xe^(2x) lies in the interval [0,1]. Use linear interpolation to find this root correct to decimal places.

f(x) = 4 - xe^(2x)
Evaluate f(0) and f(1)
If there is a change of sign then a root of f(x) lies in the interval [0,1]

Take x0 = 0 and x1 = 1 and find f(x0) and f(x1)
x2 = 0.5(x0+x1)

What do you mean due to the "e"?
I can't see a problem.
Reply 2
Widowmaker
f(x) = 4 - xe^(2x)
Evaluate f(0) and f(1)
If there is a change of sign then a root of f(x) lies in the interval [0,1]

Take x0 = 0 and x1 = 1 and find f(x0) and f(x1)
x2 = 0.5(x0+x1)

What do you mean due to the "e"?
I can't see a problem.

oh thats ok now thanks. i hadnt really come across the e before (only seen it without knowing what it is), which is why i had a problem.

but ive discovered the e^ button on my calculator, so i dont even need to know what it means to be able to do the problem.

thanks anyway :biggrin:
Reply 3
Loz2402
oh thats ok now thanks. i hadnt really come across the e before (only seen it without knowing what it is), which is why i had a problem.

but ive discovered the e^ button on my calculator, so i dont even need to know what it means to be able to do the problem.

thanks anyway :biggrin:

Just out of curiosity, how have you got to FP1 without having seen e before? Surely you've used it in C2 onwards, you certainly need it for the differential equations later on in FP1..
Reply 4
Popa Dom
Just out of curiosity, how have you got to FP1 without having seen e before? Surely you've used it in C2 onwards, you certainly need it for the differential equations later on in FP1..

FP1 im doing in further maths. ive only just started my AS-levels. ive done C1 and am doing C2 and S1 at the moment, but in further maths some of the material in FP1 requires use of topics we havent yet covered in normal maths lessons. i havent got to the differential equations in further pure 1 yet, however when they do appear, our teacher will prob give us a quick run through beforehand, like he has had to do occassionally.

Latest