Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When to get a Laptop, and which one?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've got around £500 pounds for a laptop for uni this September , I want one that will do all the 'studenty' things and maybe light gaming ( but Im not to fussed), does anyone have any recommendations? will i need to buy Microsoft student(word)?
    and also when do all the student bundles and discounts start ? I remember seeing allot of reduced laptops last year ? should i wait for a while or buy one now ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In terms of laptops there are always many to choose from. As you've said that you would be doing very basic things on your computer it means that there's no real necessity for perfomance intensive stats so I would recommend that you choose any laptop which you feel is comfortable for you.

If you want my personal recommendation I would suggest this Lenovo Z575, it's currently reduced, but the main reason I'd recommend it is because it's a very solid, reliable computer that feels good to use. (http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-...84717-pdt.html).

Also there's no actual need to spend £60 on Microsoft Office, as there are free alternatives that are just as good. For example OpenOffice is basically the same as Microsoft Office and you can even save files in the same filetypes. Best of all it's free.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by audi_turbo)
    In terms of laptops there are always many to choose from. As you've said that you would be doing very basic things on your computer it means that there's no real necessity for perfomance intensive stats so I would recommend that you choose any laptop which you feel is comfortable for you.

If you want my personal recommendation I would suggest this Lenovo Z575, it's currently reduced, but the main reason I'd recommend it is because it's a very solid, reliable computer that feels good to use. (http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-...84717-pdt.html). It's also one of the only laptops in its class to offer a discrete graphics card which means that it would be better for gaming.

Also there's no actual need to spend £60 on Microsoft Office, as there are free alternatives that are just as good. For example OpenOffice is basically the same as Microsoft Office and you can even save files in the same filetypes. Best of all it's free.
    That laptop dosen't have dedicated graphics.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    That laptop dosen't have dedicated graphics.
    You know what, you're right. I've got a slightly different version with nvidea graphics in it. Sorry, will delete that section of the post.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick reply ? Do any of you know about the discounts ? or student bundles?
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethany01)
    I've got around £500 pounds for a laptop for uni this September , I want one that will do all the 'studenty' things and maybe light gaming ( but Im not to fussed), does anyone have any recommendations? will i need to buy Microsoft student(word)?
    and also when do all the student bundles and discounts start ? I remember seeing allot of reduced laptops last year ? should i wait for a while or buy one now ?
    Student discounts for software like Microsoft word are always around
    But for discounts for laptops, etc don't start till about August just before the new academic year.

I also suggest buying on-line as the deals are far better.......while the likes of PC World, Currys, etc don't actually provide much value for money with their outdated technology.

http://www.ebuyer.com/345802-lenovo-...laptop-m51bpuk

Lenovo IdeaPad G570 Laptop
    - Intel Core i5 2450M 2.5GHz
    - 6GB RAM + 750GB HDD
    - 15.6" HD + Blu Ray Player
    - Webcam + Bluetooth
    - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

It's slightly over budget by £20 or so, but in comparison you won't get anything in comparison at PC World............but if you wait till August, the new processors will be in them and even cheaper.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethany01)
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...9D&action=init

On discount right now for £530 - brilliant price.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 3, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.