Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

C3 Solomon A help!

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I'm just going through the uploaded question. I've managed part A, but on part B I'm unsure of what the question is asking. So far I have differentiated the function y and tried to work out the gradient when x has a value of pi/4 but I'm getting a weird decimal answer I think the question is asking me to work out the equation of the tangent to the curve and then sub in the values of when x=0 to work out the y intercept? Is this correct, and if not what am I doing wrong Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solomon A.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	153576  
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bugsy)
    Hey guys I'm just going through the uploaded question. I've managed part A, but on part B I'm unsure of what the question is asking. So far I have differentiated the function y and tried to work out the gradient when x has a value of pi/4 but I'm getting a weird decimal answer I think the question is asking me to work out the equation of the tangent to the curve and then sub in the values of when x=0 to work out the y intercept? Is this correct, and if not what am I doing wrong Thanks!
    Yes that is what it is asking, what have you got for the equation of the tangent?
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bugsy)
    Find the equation of the tangent at  x = \dfrac{\pi}4

Then sub in x=0 to get the answer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJ0ker)
    Yes that is what it is asking, what have you got for the equation of the tangent?
    I haven't managed to get an equation for the tangent yet, because I can't work out a value for m I tried to sub in pi/4 into my dy/dx but like I said I get a long decimal which I don't think is correct.. Once I get a M value I can use the y-y1=m(x-x1) to find the equation for the tangent..

(Original post by raheem94)
    Find the equation of the tangent at  x = \dfrac{\pi}4

Then sub in x=0 to get the answer.
    Yeah this is what I'm having problems with.. For my dy/dx I got 2x.Sec^2 x + 2tanx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bugsy)
    I haven't managed to get an equation for the tangent yet, because I can't work out a value for m I tried to sub in pi/4 into my dy/dx but like I said I get a long decimal which I don't think is correct.. Once I get a M value I can use the y-y1=m(x-x1) to find the equation for the tangent..

Yeah this is what I'm having problems with.. For my dy/dx I got 2x.Sec^2 x + 2tanx
    Don't just plug the numbers into a calculator then. If you do it using your grey matter you will get a simple gradient involving an integer and pi.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bugsy)
    Sub in  x = \dfrac{\pi}4

\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = 2 \times \frac{\pi}4 \times sec^2\frac{\pi}{4} + 2 tan \frac{\pi}4 = \frac{\pi}2 \times 2 + 2 = 2 + \pi

It is an exact value.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJ0ker)
    Don't just plug the numbers into a calculator then. If you do it using your grey matter you will get a simple gradient involving an integer and pi.
    (Original post by raheem94)
    Sub in  x = \dfrac{\pi}4

\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = 2 \times \frac{\pi}4 \times sec^2\frac{\pi}{4} + 2 tan \frac{\pi}4 = \frac{\pi}2 \times 2 + 2 = 2 + \pi

It is an exact value.
    Ah okay, great I get the answer now! Sorry for being so silly, I should have tried to do it without a calculator to get an exact value.. Thanks for your help

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 3, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.