The Student Room Group

Do we have ghetto's in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ghetto in the way you're using it is just an American term for what may be, in other countries, called 'slums' etc., it's more a slang word than one with any particular meaning. So although we don't have American-style 'ghettos' here we have our British equivalent in general run-down, deprived areas, tower-blocks, the worst council estates...
Reply 21
Original post by Barua-Darfur
Yes loads here in London. Mostly Pakistani areas are no go if you're not from that country. Somme ppl are nOt allowed to walk around in Pakistani towns for being non Pakistan.

Very sad

Like where in London exactly? Always lived here, been all over and really think that talk like that is overrated. If you don't look for trouble in London you don't find it really.
Reply 22
Original post by Radradrad
Like where in London exactly? Always lived here, been all over and really think that talk like that is overrated. If you don't look for trouble in London you don't find it really.

No mate. I've seen people being set upon simply for being white and wearing skinny jeans.
Original post by QTpie118
Hahaha, bad grammar just kill's it.

Rule 1 of criticising grammar: ensure your own is perfect before posting.
Reply 24
Original post by Rooster523
Rule 1 of criticising grammar: ensure your own is perfect before posting.

It wasn't a mistake, it's an intentional error!
You clearly have never been to Edmonton, London. Shank town, bruv.

Loads in inner-city London, as already said.
Reply 26
Original post by PatrickC
No mate. I've seen people being set upon simply for being white and wearing skinny jeans.

But I'm white, weedy(although kind of fat now because of bloody A2 exams) and wear skinnies everyday. The worst I get is occasionally being called gay in deprived places like Harrow and Stepney Green, nothing major.

I won't deny that it never happens but you talk to people who aren't from London//posho idiots from London//people from London who think they are gangsta but live in Harrow or Wembley or some other suburban place who think it is some sort of real-life, crime ridden GTA. This all distracts us from the important issues like being better than the rest of the country and everywhere beyond Watford Gap being the North.
Reply 27
Yeahh and you're not innit, bruv.
Reply 28
Merthyr Tydfil

SRS
Well, living in Leicester, it is easy to see that certain racial groups have tended to go to the same areas, effectively causing those areas to become ghettoes (in the sense that they are composed near exclusively of said racial group) which extend to what amount to separate schools in which the vast majority of students and staff are from particular ethnic backgrounds, and to which members of other ethnic backgrounds would be unlikely to apply, if only for fear of being picked out as different based on their ethnicity.
Original post by LarrikinLibertine
On the other hand, the quality of life in the UK is far better then much of the world, even for the poorest people, so I can understand why it can become a bit tiresome when people keep saying they've grown up in the 'ghetto'

Do people in the UK say that? :s-smilie: That's more of a US thing...

Edit- I've said it as a joke, but I've never met anyone who would say that seriously.
Reply 32
Original post by Snagprophet
Careless handling. When people say 'mass immigration' it's merely an emphasises it to, not literally, suggest hordes of stampede through our borders.

My mum caused ..... by?? What, she was caused by mass immigration? Or she caused mass immigration?

You just edited that in. I never wrote "by" in that sentence. Check for yourself.
Original post by worker13
You just edited that in. I never wrote "by" in that sentence. Check for yourself.

I doth my hat to you, good sir, and at your subtlety.
Reply 34
go to chelvy in slough or the south east of london ... i they arent ghettos i dont know what is..
Reply 35
haringay is a turkish ghetto
hackney is an african/Caribbean ghetto
stoke newington is a jewish ghetto
The word ghetto is frequently used to describe segregated working class areas in Northern Ireland. So yes, there are ghettoes in the UK.
Original post by Deep456
You clearly have never been to Edmonton, London. Shank town, bruv.

Loads in inner-city London, as already said.

Edmonton is not even that bad.... South London more like e.g. Peckham
Original post by Flyteryder
They all stem from parents not caring to teach their children the basics, such as apostrophe usage. It's all down hill from there b!tch's.

Just to point this out as you seem certain that this is correct b!tch's isn't right it is actually b!tchs you use the apostrophe when you are talking about something belonging to something or if there is a letter missing for shortening a word, not whenever there is an 's' at the end of a word. If you're saying that ironically I take it back :smile:
Original post by Barua-Darfur
Do you like sudanese Christian males? Where are you living now? :wink:

:K:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending