The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Product design!

I hope there isnt a thread about the same topic already :s-smilie:

So, Is anyone else taking this Unit 3 paper on the 13th June?
'would like to know how are you guys revising for this exam..

My teacher is.. well.. rubbish. He basically taught us nothing in the past 2 years.
I self-taught unit 1 :s-smilie:

Has anyone got good revision note and case study to share?
or just discuss about the paper tgt?
Apparently we dont get lined paper for this 2 hours exam... SERIOUSLY? I CANT WRITE IN STRAIGHT LINES WITHOUT LINED PAPER! IM SCREWED IF THATS THE CASE....
Reply 1
Are you doing the DT 3-D design product course?
Pretty sure that there is lined paper as they are not expecting diagrams to be produced, they can be used if worth while or help to explain the answer, very written paper...

I bought the book, my class didn't do much and we shared 3 teachers! Well, my class just didn't make notes, lots of fun over the past 2 years!

Im revising from the book (+ few notes from this and last year) and things I've found from 'TES' the teacher resource website , free to sign up, a few good resources there and useful, going to push on revision this week woooooo

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
yep, i was reading the old thread from last year and people were saying they were given blank paper :s-smilie:
i hope we dont, i cant write on blank paper! its an essay base exam, therefore, LINE PAPER PLEASE.

sounds like my class :biggrin:

oh, i shall go find that as well :smile: i dont wanna fail :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hopefully if all goes well its what I want to do at uni, the course is nothing like this A level which is quite annoying as universities don't like or think it worthwhile :')

Must admit, it does ring a bell having blank paper now I think of it... This is something in not looking forward to now haha wonky writing all the way!

Yeah some good stuff on that website, mostly 'graphics' based topics are covered...

You will probably know this already, but possibly the best revision I think is watching 'How it's Made' or other similar programs showing the process of manufacture of different products/ random things, interesting (well to me) and its revision at the same time!

Reply 4
product design in uni? oooo, have fun.. im doing jewellery design in uni :smile:

have u got any idea why is the mini an iconic design? its to do with something about the engine and the fact its front wheel drive i know, but... how is the engine different?

i do quite like watching videos, i was watching the Mark Newson thing on youtube the other day, very interesting :smile:
Reply 5
Must admit, I was going to pick a more specific course like furniture design, but that would limit the things I could be introduced to during the course, see where it takes me :smile:

With the mini I thought it was to do with the classic british design being affordable when first launch and to do with the compact nature of the car, but as you mention the engine, it will probably be because of the power it had in comparison to cost, plus didn't it do well in the racing and rally world?

Reply 6
aha, where r u doing it?

oh ya.... i think u r right :biggrin: wasnt it something like £500 only.... i can remember it now :biggrin: my teacher went through the mini last year november time, n never got any note :s-smilie: so i cant remember most of the things he said
Reply 7
Hopefully York St John, what about yourself?

On a business point of view, they made a mistake and made a loss when it was first put on sale :') (if I remember correctly)

Reply 8
Must admit, my teachers went through it so quick, wish my notes were better, ah well, my revision at the moment is reading from the textbook, the notes are beyond repair haha

Reply 9
oh wheres that?
birmingham city <3 soooo happy!

i think they did actually :P

the text book is boring :s-smilie: im doing the past papers as revision :smile:
Reply 10
Centre of York, a great uni, looking forward to it a lot! If I have revised as much as I have researched the uni... I should be getting straight As! Haha

Reply 11
Original post by Yan_w
product design in uni? oooo, have fun.. im doing jewellery design in uni :smile:

have u got any idea why is the mini an iconic design? its to do with something about the engine and the fact its front wheel drive i know, but... how is the engine different?

i do quite like watching videos, i was watching the Mark Newson thing on youtube the other day, very interesting :smile:

To do with the mini question, it is iconic because the layout of the engine, instead of being horizontally laid out, it was moved vertically so the front of the car is a lot shorter as the mini was all about space saving and practicality. It was also one of the first cars to make use of front wheel drive, hope that helps :smile:
Technical name for that is traverse engine i think

Whoops missed put letters, transverse engine

Reply 14
Original post by mmontgom
Centre of York, a great uni, looking forward to it a lot! If I have revised as much as I have researched the uni... I should be getting straight As! Haha

wow, good luck :biggrin:
i should get an A in Product design... if i dont screw this exam up :O
Reply 15
Original post by breeden
To do with the mini question, it is iconic because the layout of the engine, instead of being horizontally laid out, it was moved vertically so the front of the car is a lot shorter as the mini was all about space saving and practicality. It was also one of the first cars to make use of front wheel drive, hope that helps :smile:

arhh, thats it! thank you very much :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Flopsidoodle
Whoops missed put letters, transverse engine

ya, i know the name of it, but i had no idea why did it have a special name lol
Reply 17
Original post by Yan_w
I hope there isnt a thread about the same topic already :s-smilie:

So, Is anyone else taking this Unit 3 paper on the 13th June?
'would like to know how are you guys revising for this exam..

My teacher is.. well.. rubbish. He basically taught us nothing in the past 2 years.
I self-taught unit 1 :s-smilie:

Has anyone got good revision note and case study to share?
or just discuss about the paper tgt?
Apparently we dont get lined paper for this 2 hours exam... SERIOUSLY? I CANT WRITE IN STRAIGHT LINES WITHOUT LINED PAPER! IM SCREWED IF THATS THE CASE....

Heyy yup, no lined paper!! but you do get the lined paper that you can put under your exam paper to you can kinda see the lines through it :smile:

I did this paper in yr12, and im doing it again!! ah it was pretty hard -.- I hate essay writing...thats something I'm just not good at!
Reply 18
Original post by ds4143
Heyy yup, no lined paper!! but you do get the lined paper that you can put under your exam paper to you can kinda see the lines through it :smile:

I did this paper in yr12, and im doing it again!! ah it was pretty hard -.- I hate essay writing...thats something I'm just not good at!

oh! well, thats not too bad then...

I can write the essays, i just cant sketch when they ask me to :biggrin:
Hi i am currently on my gap year and i'm sitting on a D in DT product design I got B,B in my course work but I honestly just can't hack the A2 paper last year in sixth form i was getting high marks in the papers and question I did for my teacher but when it came to the paper i got a U... I don't know how i did so badly, I didn't even think it went that bad. Has anyone got any tips for the essay writing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending