The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2013 GET ON IT EARLY!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by richardfburton
Although I like your economic reasoning, I don't think the additional cost of non-law students really affects the decision-making process. HR don't care and often the partners interviewing you don't even know your background.

If you don't have any work experience I can thoroughly recommend going the 'informal route'. As well as applying for open days/vac schemes, email partners to ask for informal, unpaid internships. They like it because it shows entrepreneurial flair, ambition and boldness. Plus, you get to see the firm's true colours rather than some fancy masquerade that they normally show budding applicants. Plus plus, you don't have to compete with loads of other budding applicants. Plus plus plus, emails to partners are a much more economic use of your time: you can look up individuals' CVs online and find someone who will be sympathetic to your background to maximise your chances of success.

Hi Richard, did you do the 'informal' route yourself?! Did you email the appropriate individual with a CV and a covering letter? How long did you make this covering letter?

On a similar note, I am wanting to send off a few applications to small, regional firms in order to gain a week's work experience in September. How long would you make the covering letter in this sort of case? Seeing as they are purely speculative, does it seem a bit disingenuous to ramble on at length about how much you respect the work that small local firm A might do?
Reply 21
Original post by Rachel_Leah
Hello everyone :smile:

I'm just about to go into my second year at Loughborough University studying English, and I really want to apply for some vacation schemes next year, even though I am aware there are only a few who allow penultimate year non-law students to apply. I am also trying to get informal work experience with high street firms.

I've done a fair bit of research and I am just worried that most of the firms in the top 100 wouldn't be interested in me, due to my university or something. I'm confident in my extra-curricular activities, I've had several part time jobs (sometimes all at once) and I do a lot of volunteering. I achieved A*AA at A-Level, however my 2 A's were in Psychology and Sociology - not exactly well-respected subjects. I achieved 64.1 in my first year, so a mid 2:1 almost... Does anyone have any idea if there is any point in me applying to top firms at all for Vacation Schemes and/or Training Contracts?!

x

Your A-Levels are good, and you're on track with a 2.1 and from what you're saying, you have a handful of good extra-currics - I would say there is absolutely no reason why you should be discouraged to apply to top firms. Why would your research suggest that top 100 firms would be against you?

I think the next step would be to research individual firms you're actually interested to apply to. :smile:
Reply 22
Hi all,

I'm studying Law and will be beginning my second year of university in September. I'm interested in gaining experience of some kind over next summer but I'm not really sure were to start. My grades at A-level are good, but not exceptional. The same applies to my first year grades, with 2:1's in some units and high 2:2's in others. Bearing this in mind, I'm unsure whether applying for any highly-competitive vacation schemes for next summer is worth it. I'm considering instead whether to try and gain some work experience with local firms. What is the best way of doing this, should I go in and ask for some information about this, or write a letter, or telephone, or email? I don't have any previous Law-related work experience, will this affect my chances? Finally, how important is it to have extra-curricular activites outside of Law and could this affect my chances?

Sorry for all of the questions, but is there anyone who has been in a similar position and can offer any advice :smile: ??

Chris
Do you guys have a rough idea on what firms you'll be applying to?
Original post by bramz19
This is going to sound really bad, but MC/SC and any others I've heard of, probably going to go for the scattergun approach, despite an associate at Norton Rose advising me to apply for one firm :hmmmm2:

One firm? Did he mean his firm? I can abide by the old 'quality over quantity' maxim but applying and hedging your bets on one firm does not seem like a good move at all.

I think I'll be doing more or less the same. I'm not particularly looking forward to the months of carefully tailored applications, PFOs, psychometric tests, interviews and Assessment Centres amongst the busy university workload, exam period and volunteering commitments though.
Original post by bramz19
Nah, he advised me and my mate to apply for one firm that we really liked, which would show loyalty to that firm or some BS like that, and that applying to lots of firms would mean that other firms would get "jealous". We honestly thought he was high.

Are you applying for vac schemes too? I've always had the feeling you were many years older than me.

Which begs the question of how other firms would know about where you have applied... Loyalty to a single firm, by applying only to that firm, isn't really going to come across in an application form or interview when you have hundreds of others all waxing lyrical about how much they love the firm, and secretly saying the exact same thing to the dozens of other firms.

Yup, well in October/November when most of them open. Do I exude maturity? :tongue: I'm currently 19 and going into my penultimate year reading Law.
Reply 26
Hi, I will be going into 2nd year in September. I have a 2.2 average this year (56%). Should I still go for vacation schemes this year ?
My A level grades are A*ABB
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by dbdb
Hi, I will be going into 2nd year in September. I have a 2.2 average this year (56%). Should I still go for vacation schemes this year ?
My A level grades are A*ABB

If you're a law student and I'm assuming you are then the answer is ... yes, but don't do too many. Especially as if you pull your grades up for your 2nd year, you can always justify in 3rd year why you didn't apply to as many in 2nd year. Firms don't mind hearing you didn't apply for vac schemes during your 2nd year because you wanted to concentrate on making your grades tip top. In addition, you can focus more on researching different firms and different areas too.

I would say though to apply for a few just to get a feel for applications and hopefully interviews / ACs. You have nothing to lose.
Reply 28
I am now a graduate (well actually just graduates from my LL.M after a 4-year LL.B), and will be applying for Vac Schemes this year. I applied for TC's this cycle, but have not had too much luck- interviews at 2 MC firms, but not TC offer. I think some good legal experienc ein the form of a Vac Scheme is the only thing really "missing" from my application, so I will be giving it a shot to try add at least 1 Vac Scheme.

However, I am spectical as to whether firms really take graduate applications seriously. Any other gradutes applying?
Reply 29
Original post by Med2Ky
I am now a graduate (well actually just graduates from my LL.M after a 4-year LL.B), and will be applying for Vac Schemes this year. I applied for TC's this cycle, but have not had too much luck- interviews at 2 MC firms, but not TC offer. I think some good legal experienc ein the form of a Vac Scheme is the only thing really "missing" from my application, so I will be giving it a shot to try add at least 1 Vac Scheme.

However, I am spectical as to whether firms really take graduate applications seriously. Any other gradutes applying?

"spectical" made me chuckle :giggle:

I was under the impression that lots of grads get TC's. It's pretty common for people to paralegal/get commercial experience then reapply, isn't it? I've no idea about the success rates of graduate re-applicants mind.
Original post by Med2Ky

I know we've already talked about this but I'm now waiting on 5 firms and I'm not very hopeful.

I think it depends on the firm. I've had a look at Freshfield's website and it doesn't look like their vac schemes are open to graduates. I've also emailed Edwards Wildman and their schemes are open to grads. Also it looks like Norton Rose and Allen and Overy's winter schemes are open to grads.

I think it depends on the firm so I'll have to contact the firms I'm interested to find out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by sleekchic
I know we've already talked about this but I'm now waiting on 5 firms and I'm not very hopeful.

I think it depends on the firm. I've had a look at Freshfield's website and it doesn't look like their vac schemes are open to graduates. I've also emailed Edwards Wildman and their schemes are open to grads. Also it looks like Norton Rose and Allen and Overy's winter schemes are open to grads.

I think it depends on the firm so I'll have to contact the firms I'm interested to find out.

Sleek- I am currently working on a list of firms that wlecome graduates to apply to their vac schemes. Right now, I have a list of about 10, however these are just the firms that explicitly say on their websites that graduates may apply. I will be emailing a larger number of firms to find out their policies on graduates applying for vac schemes.

Although: yesterday I had a really good phone chat with head of grad recruitment at Slaughter and May, and the impression was that graduates would find it much harder to secure a vac scheme vs. undergraduates. I guess this is because graduates would now be expected to already have an idea of whether law was for them and which type of firm suits them.
Reply 32
Original post by bramz19
The fact that you thought he was talking about a training contract makes me chuckle.

Ugh, I've fallen behind reading the TC thread, and where I'd read up to he'd been having some bad luck; guess I skim read that post and took it out of context.

You sure showed me though.
Original post by h-g-1
Your A-Levels are good, and you're on track with a 2.1 and from what you're saying, you have a handful of good extra-currics - I would say there is absolutely no reason why you should be discouraged to apply to top firms. Why would your research suggest that top 100 firms would be against you?

I think the next step would be to research individual firms you're actually interested to apply to. :smile:

I've done A LOT of research haha, and worked out what firms actually take penultimate year non-law and what ones I am actually interested in. I've emailed about 10 high street firms too, only got replies from 3 saying that their work experience is full or they don't take any informal placements. I'm just worried that because I don't have any previous work experience it will majorly hinder my application. :/

Is anybody else in a similar position, non-law second year or not!?
x
Reply 34
I've done A LOT of research haha, and worked out what firms actually take penultimate year non-law and what ones I am actually interested in. I've emailed about 10 high street firms too, only got replies from 3 saying that their work experience is full or they don't take any informal placements. I'm just worried that because I don't have any previous work experience it will majorly hinder my application. :/

Is anybody else in a similar position, non-law second year or not!?
x

All I can is that everyone has to start somewhere. If you're a second year law student and you're applying to formal vac schemes, although experience would be a plus, it is unlikely that they won't look at you if you don't have anything. After all, that's what the vac schemes are for.

So I wouldn't fret about it. Just send off your applications and see.

FYI, I also sent off applications to high street firms - well when I say applications, it was more I approached high street firms and I think they're perhaps more difficult to get something because they simply don't have the resources or the need to structure formal work experience. so, i wouldn't necessary take these rejections to heart. :smile:
I seem to be the keenest on here at the moment :colondollar:

Been researching Baker & McKenzie, CMS Cameron McKenna, Accenture and Pinsent Masons, going to try and apply fairly near the deadline before I get tied up in freshers and starting year 2. Anybody else applying to those (especially penultimate year non-law?)
I seem to be the keenest on here at the moment :colondollar:

Been researching Baker & McKenzie, CMS Cameron McKenna, Accenture and Pinsent Masons, going to try and apply fairly near the deadline before I get tied up in freshers and starting year 2. Anybody else applying to those (especially penultimate year non-law?)

Accenture isn't law :smile:
Original post by Cutmeloose
Accenture isn't law :smile:

Oops, I do know that, I am applying for consulting internships as well, hence adding it in by mistake lol.

x
Reply 38
I'm assuming I won't get a TC, so as a (soon to be) third year LLB student I'm looking to apply to as many Bham/midlands VS as possible. Fun Times.

Anyone know of some less well known Birmingham/Midlands Law firms who host VS? :smile:
Reply 39
I'll be going into the third year of my English Lit degree in September and I've decided I want to do a law conversion after uni. I've already done a week's worth of work experience at DLA Piper and am hoping to do another week at a different firm some time soon. When do vacation scheme applications open for 2013? I want to get my foot in the door as early as possible but it's hard to find this sort of thing out when you don't do law as a degree. Also, do you think it's worth starting your GDL if you don't have a training contract? Seems like a lot of money if you don't have any guarantees at the end. Sorry for the essay!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending