The Student Room Group

What I've Learnt During Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bananaterracottapie
unless im missing something.....the same could be said to you :/ students start school at the age of 11, which he would have.....depending on where the cut off point is...and id imagine if you were born in july even though the school year would have finished you'd be put in the same year group as people as people born in the same year in june, may, april march etc.....

Yes he would have been put in the same year but he didnt turn 12 until after his first year had finished. GAWD.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MrHappy_J
Yes he would have been put in the same year but he didnt turn 12 until after his first year had finished. GAWD.

my god trying so hard not to be rude i but you're being persistently thick and rude with it. yes he didn't turn 12 until the SUMMER after the first year had finished....remember the books begin during the summer holidays. therefore even though the first year had finished........because he was born in july he would still be put in the same group as those who would have turned 12 DURING FIRST YEAR a couple of months/weeks earlier....jesus wept :'( but anyway its only harry potter lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
my god trying so hard not to be rude i but you're being persistently thick and rude with it. yes he didn't turn 12 until the SUMMER after the first year had finished....remember the books begin during the summer holidays. therefore even though the first year had finished........because he was born in july he would still be put in the same group as those who would have turned 12 DURING FIRST YEAR a couple of months/weeks earlier....jesus wept :'( but anyway its only harry potter lol.

This is what I've been saying all along!! If anyone's being persistently thick it's you!
Reply 243
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I wish I started revision earlier. I wasn't expecting so many personal problems to surface at this point. And I wasn't expecting to get the too-common cold. Third time this year. I probably wouldn't have written that post if it wasn't for the fact that I was too ill to even care about studying.

Oh wow! While those subject overlap I could not imagine studying FMaths. Just ew.

Never liked Physics.

Sometimes you have to take the subjects for the degree you want to take though. What do you want to study in university?

See that was the thing :P I didn't know. I just did things that my teachers said i would excel at. Another reason why i failed was i because i had no goal i had NO motivation. Set yourself a target job/course. and yeh they do but the workload is mental :s-smilie:
Reply 244
Original post by lauren_a
Out of interest, what would you define as a non-academic subject?

By non acadamic tbh i meant DIFFERENT. :P I know that all A levels are hard in their own way but non academic (drama/media/photography/art) are so different from the normal academic subjects. even something like politics or english. you need three STRONG A levels. Then the fourth just a pass. obv some will help more then others but generally anything goes.
This is what I've been saying all along!! If anyone's being persistently thick it's you!

good so we agree that he turned 12 after the first year had finished during the summer....right? that would still mean that he would still be 12 come september right? year 8s/ 2nd years usually begin at 12 years old right? hence it doesn't matter he turned 12 a couple of weeks after term time/ first year finished because he would still be included in the age bracket right? :smile: anyways im done arguing :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
good so we agree that he turned 12 after the first year had finished during the summer....right? that would still mean that he would still be 12 come september right? year 8s/ 2nd years usually begin at 12 years old right? hence it doesn't matter he turned 12 a couple of weeks after term time/ first year finished because he would still be included in the age bracket right? :smile: anyways im done arguing :smile:

except that before you were saying that harry was 12 in his first year, which he wasn't, and now you're trying to make out like that's not what you said at all. Why can't people just accept it when they're wrong?

before you come back with "oh no I didn't say that" -
he turned 12 in what was still his first year at Hogwarts - post 203 :rolleyes

In any case: Hogwarts =/= real life.
(edited 11 years ago)
except that before you were saying that harry was 12 in his first year, which he wasn't, and now you're trying to make out like that's not what you said at all. Why can't people just accept it when they're wrong?

In any case: Hogwarts =/= real life.

fair enough perhaps i got the wrong end of the stick :smile: but i thought you were arguing that the year system was different to hogwarts hence you said.

"as if he were in year six"- what?? If he turned 11 on the 31st of july, he would have turned 12 on the 31st of July of the following year, when he had already completed his first year at hogwarts. In general:

First years: 11
Second years: 12
Third years: 13
Fourth years: 14
Fifth years: 15
Six years: 16
Year sevens: 17

when harry started second year he would have been 12 thus the same to the normal education system. even though he had turned 12 just after first year finished he would have still been classified as a "first year".

peace and love. xxxxxxxxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 248
Take it! If you want to do an A Level then do it. Nobody is going to punish you for it. That blog post is all based off my experience.

In my experience, if I had taken triple, I probably would have done better. But I didn't even do anything in double science lessons so I was unprepared. I only passed GCSE science because I memorised the textbook. Never understood what was going on though.

I'll give it a go then. :biggrin:
Reply 249

LOL! That is a tough combination! I initially took History, dropped it for Englit, and dropped that for Psych. I then dropped out of that college to take the two subjects I had dropped in the first place lol!

Sorry, but I honestly :teehee: when reading this.

:tongue:
Original post by kka25
Sorry, but I honestly :teehee: when reading this.

:tongue:

No problems. All my friends were like wtf.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending