The Student Room Group

What I've Learnt During Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

That was an amazing piece of writing, and it kinda summarised my first year in sixth form (albeit I have two more months *cries). It will be immensely helpful for students entering the cruel world of A-Levels. :biggrin:

I would like to add though that the social element does play a higher role, than many students think. DO NOT GET DISTRACTED!
Beware of the random crushes that can happen, and leave you with hours in the common room, when you should be in the library! And do not get carried away with extra curricular activities!

Striking a balance is really important in sixth form, though it's hard, it is not impossible.

Good luck to everyone, and remember, hopefully, these two years will fly.
Reply 101
Original post by Graceyyyyyyy
That's reassuring, I'm currently doing dual award now and I'm planning on taking biology and chemistry next year but I was going to familiarise myself with the parts of the triple science syllabus I haven't learnt. Will that be necessary?

I didn't even notice any gap in knowledge between myself and classmates. (Chemistry and Physics)
Having a flick through the first topic of the AS textbook would do no harm though.
Don't play cards. Ever. You will regret it come April :colonhash:
see I love chemistry so much! :biggrin:
Reply 104
agreed about chemistry, i'm doing ok in chemistry after what feels like 1 million re sits... i still think i am going to fail my last 2 chem exams but i think i did actually manage to do alright in my AS resit (3rd time lucky :yy:)... did absolutely AWFUL in my coursework. SOS SOSO glad i never have to think about hess cycles and whatever other crap that comes with chemistry again...

the annoying this is, i actually really like chemistry unless it's for an exam!!
Original post by laseine
agreed about chemistry, i'm doing ok in chemistry after what feels like 1 million re sits... i still think i am going to fail my last 2 chem exams but i think i did actually manage to do alright in my AS resit (3rd time lucky :yy:)... did absolutely AWFUL in my coursework. SOS SOSO glad i never have to think about hess cycles and whatever other crap that comes with chemistry again...

the annoying this is, i actually really like chemistry unless it's for an exam!!

What board are you on for chemistry?

The thing is, I absolutely love chemistry; it's my favorite A-Level. We do OCR B Salters, which has a heavy emphasis on applications of chemistry. Though this may seem daunting, it is really quite interesting.

The exams are not too challenging either for it as well. However, my mates who do AQA and OCR A, always say how mundane and extreme the exams are.

Could there be a board divide? :tongue:
This post is slightly dramatic.. Ok A levels are harder than GCSEs but if you're having a 'breakdown' is it not just a sign that maybe school isn't the place for you? More people than ever are staying on at school and in my opinion this isn't necessarily for the best... you can be just as successful, if not more, by leaving school and entering more vocational training!
and 'turn up in your pyjamas' - surprisingly I would rather be slightly less comfortable and not be the laughing stock of school.
Excellent advice OP! The part about ditching a class if the tutor is **** is something I also wish I had done during A-levels. When I finally ditched one of my teachers it was in the A2 year and they were sacked anyway due to other student complaints.

This is funny, cause' it's true:
General Studies is about as useful as an umbrella during a Category 5 hurricane.
Reply 109
Good read and I can relate to most of this. I struggled like mad for the first few weeks of A-levels. I thought I was smart at GCSE but it was really hard at first.

I considered dropping out because no matter what, I just couldn't get anything right. I got through it however, wasted a lot of the teachers time asking for help but it all paid off.

The main thing is to be very resilient. I know many friends who were about as smart as me but couldn't stand failing and it got to them and made them perform badly. Try make failures motivate you. That's what I did, whenever I messed something up, ot'd motivate me to try harder.
Thank you for going to all the effort of writing this OP :biggrin: You spoke about all the subjects I'm doing (biology, chemistry, english lit and history) and I think this guide will prove to be invaluable :smile:

No probs. I enjoyed it. It made me realise how much I've learnt from this. My school didn't prepare us for anything so I was like a sitting duck in a war zone.

That's reassuring, I'm currently doing dual award now and I'm planning on taking biology and chemistry next year but I was going to familiarise myself with the parts of the triple science syllabus I haven't learnt. Will that be necessary?

I'd suggest going over the basics to make sure you understand it all and I've heard good things about those CGP Head Start books.

Original post by The Cornerstone
Yeah, most of the time I can't be bothered so I buy stuff myself.

Even during freshers, halls are only loud at night. In the morning, people are either in bed or at uni, which makes more peaceful than the previous night.

LoL! I'm a light sleeper so I think I'll get earplugs or something! I'm always scared that if I use them then they'll get trapped in my ear and I'll never be able to take them out!

Original post by lauren_a
Turns out, teaching yourself an A Level that doesn't have a textbook is quite tricky. Be warned.

Oh. Dear. Which A Level is this?
Reply 111
Original post by abzy1234
What board are you on for chemistry?

The thing is, I absolutely love chemistry; it's my favorite A-Level. We do OCR B Salters, which has a heavy emphasis on applications of chemistry. Though this may seem daunting, it is really quite interesting.

The exams are not too challenging either for it as well. However, my mates who do AQA and OCR A, always say how mundane and extreme the exams are.

Could there be a board divide? :tongue:

yep OCR B too :smile: i do find it really interesting like i said i just don't like the exams and i mucked up the investigation coursework this year, partially because of a few home problems but i don't like making excuses for myself even if they are legit.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
No probs. I enjoyed it. It made me realise how much I've learnt from this. My school didn't prepare us for anything so I was like a sitting duck in a war zone.

I'd suggest going over the basics to make sure you understand it all and I've heard good things about those CGP Head Start books.

LoL! I'm a light sleeper so I think I'll get earplugs or something! I'm always scared that if I use them then they'll get trapped in my ear and I'll never be able to take them out!

It's fine if you don't use tissues, one of my flatmates got tissue stuck in their ear because of that. But you'll be fine, you'll get used to a bit of noise :tongue:
Original post by laseine
yep OCR B too :smile: i do find it really interesting like i said i just don't like the exams and i mucked up the investigation coursework this year, partially because of a few home problems but i don't like making excuses for myself even if they are legit.

Ahh dw, personal problems can really cause problems whilst studying for A-Levels :smile:

Im gonna start on the investigation c/w over the half term, from what I heard, it's kinda tedious 'nay? Something like 60 odd pages? :eek:
You actually have to try to make friends and people don't judge you like they used to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by abzy1234
That was an amazing piece of writing, and it kinda summarised my first year in sixth form (albeit I have two more months *cries). It will be immensely helpful for students entering the cruel world of A-Levels. :biggrin:

I would like to add though that the social element does play a higher role, than many students think. DO NOT GET DISTRACTED!
Beware of the random crushes that can happen, and leave you with hours in the common room, when you should be in the library! And do not get carried away with extra curricular activities!

Striking a balance is really important in sixth form, though it's hard, it is not impossible.

Good luck to everyone, and remember, hopefully, these two years will fly.

*blush* LOL!

Original post by laseine

I did a lot of resits too. I managed to scrape a D in Unit 1 and a D in my coursework but didn't bother after failing unit 2.

EW Hess cycles! Reminds me of the Nazi.

Original post by hannah1994
This post is slightly dramatic.. Ok A levels are harder than GCSEs but if you're having a 'breakdown' is it not just a sign that maybe school isn't the place for you? More people than ever are staying on at school and in my opinion this isn't necessarily for the best... you can be just as successful, if not more, by leaving school and entering more vocational training!

The breakdown was due to a combination of factors.

I used to finish high school by 2.30 with no homework every day for 5 years. I was suddenly in a position where I had to work which I had never done before. and that was my second breakdown. I had one in the summer holidays after my GCSE exams when I kept thinking I was going to die.

And yeah it is dramatic but I'm a teenager with exams coming up, everything about me is dramatic right now lol!

The thing is, I'm the kind of person who was always an example of the perfect student. I loved books, learning and mostly not disruptive. My failure to get help during my first year from doctors and counsellors was the one big mistake that I regret.

Original post by somethingbeautiful
Excellent advice OP! The part about ditching a class if the tutor is **** is something I also wish I had done during A-levels. When I finally ditched one of my teachers it was in the A2 year and they were sacked anyway due to other student complaints.

This is funny, cause' it's true:

Would not recommend that for everyone but I've found that it can do more harm than good. We thought about complaining to the head of department until we found out it was him. Then we just decided to suck it up and teach each other.

Original post by Miryo
Good read and I can relate to most of this. I struggled like mad for the first few weeks of A-levels. I thought I was smart at GCSE but it was really hard at first.

I considered dropping out because no matter what, I just couldn't get anything right. I got through it however, wasted a lot of the teachers time asking for help but it all paid off.

The main thing is to be very resilient. I know many friends who were about as smart as me but couldn't stand failing and it got to them and made them perform badly. Try make failures motivate you. That's what I did, whenever I messed something up, ot'd motivate me to try harder.

It's a good thing you asked them for help. I kind of envy you for that. I shied away.

I couldn't stand failing either. I'd never failed in life before. At anything. Ever. No joke. So when I did fail, I thought my whole life was over.

I really am dramatic. :frown:
Reply 116
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising

It's Citizenship Studies. Most people seem to think its incredibly easy (coincidentally, the people who don't take it) but without a teacher or textbook or any decent resources it becomes very, very difficult :')
Reply 117
Good advice, only wish I knew this before year 12 lol. At my sixth form free periods are only used for working but I would always find myself finishing english essays at the last minute. Being on top of work is very important! I don't think english lit is too hard as long as you annotate throughout the year so when it comes to revision you just need to group them into themes. Languages was definitely the hardest, the revision was endless and GCSE wasn't good preparation :frown:
Original post by mucgoo
I didn't even notice any gap in knowledge between myself and classmates. (Chemistry and Physics)
Having a flick through the first topic of the AS textbook would do no harm though.

Ah that's good :biggrin: My college website has all the notes from the first unit that we do in chemistry anyway so I'm just going to try and understand it over the summer, it'll give me something to do now that I have 3 months off :tongue:
Original post by The Cornerstone
It's fine if you don't use tissues, one of my flatmates got tissue stuck in their ear because of that. But you'll be fine, you'll get used to a bit of noise :tongue:

Ew! Gross. Why? I thought tissue would be a good idea. I might just get headphones and listen to Mozart as I sleep. Or get sleeping pills.

I heard one way to make sure you always wake up before lectures is to drink a large glass of water before you go to bed. I'll so be using that!

Original post by Vixen47
You actually have to try to make friends and people don't judge you like they used to.

Yeah the whole emo/chav/poser thing just disappears in college to some extent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending