Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

career help

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys , i'm in yr 11 at the moment and soon i need to pick my a level options but the thing is i don't know what i want to do . i'm a soft, easy person not loud but not scared. any suggestions of jobs that would suite me?
    i'm an average student- a*-b grades
    i'm not shy and also i'm very hard working. i don't like reading but i wouldn't mind if i had too.i like maths and got an a* and im picking it at a levels.
    1st i wanted to be a teacher as i suits me , but then i wanted to be a barrister (lawyer) but some said its not my type as it needs english which i dont like and its really hard and need to be loud. then i wanted to be a pilot but i'm not sure .
    any other suggestions? good paid jobs.
    please help i also thought about chartered accountant but im not sure.
    any other jobs? thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my brothers doing his pilot course but he's a lot older than me

He chose a-levels which would be beneficial for his desired career: Maths (as there is a theory part which is very maths based)
    German (any other language would suffice/ Might be flying from Eng-Ger, and you never know when you language skills will be needed
    Physics (comes in handy for the theory part, but he hated it and dropped it after AS)
    English Lang (no reason other than he enjoyed it)

But I really like the idea of languages..if you've got a gcse... I'm planning on carrying on with Spanish at Alevel then picking up an ab initio one at university and teach English as a foreign Language
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You sound like you have no real idea what to do so my suggestion would be to pick a broad range i.e.:
    Necessary: Maths - this provides a basis for everything else
    Credible English-related subject: Economics, History or Classics - all of these are English based but do not require as much English as normal English so you should be fine
    Science: Physics/Biology/Chemistry - again a great basis to supplement maths and let you develop into anything really
    Last choice could be anything really as long as you keep it credible and stay away from sociology/general studies etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    You sound like you have no real idea what to do so my suggestion would be to pick a broad range i.e.:
    Necessary: Maths - this provides a basis for everything else
    Credible English-related subject: Economics, History or Classics - all of these are English based but do not require as much English as normal English so you should be fine
    Science: Physics/Biology/Chemistry - again a great basis to supplement maths and let you develop into anything really
    Last choice could be anything really as long as you keep it credible and stay away from sociology/general studies etc

yeah i have no idea. i am thinking to do maths and history for sure and either economics and biology or chemistry.would this be good?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melv97)
    Hi, my brothers doing his pilot course but he's a lot older than me

He chose a-levels which would be beneficial for his desired career: Maths (as there is a theory part which is very maths based)
    German (any other language would suffice/ Might be flying from Eng-Ger, and you never know when you language skills will be needed
    Physics (comes in handy for the theory part, but he hated it and dropped it after AS)
    English Lang (no reason other than he enjoyed it)

But I really like the idea of languages..if you've got a gcse... I'm planning on carrying on with Spanish at Alevel then picking up an ab initio one at university and teach English as a foreign Language
    does your bro have to go uni or a pilot school?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    He's doing the Private licence first then the actual one, what ever that's called..He went to uni, but then quit... why? He recommended this website-- hope it helps
    http://www.multiflight.com/flight-tr...ntre/index.php

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 4, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.