The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Flyteryder
You can't tell the difference between highlighted and bold; maybe that's why you can't tell the difference between 'from' and 'including'.

Nah, I highlighted it by making it bold, muppet
Original post by Juno
Nah, I highlighted it by making it bold, muppet

Then why did you not answer my post which said the offer in the OP states: '200 points from 2 A-levels', not 'including 2 A-levels'? From 2 A-levels means 200 points coming from at least 2 full A-levels, with no AS points counting.

You don't highlight things by making them bold; making them bold makes them bold. Muppet.
Reply 42
Then why did you not answer my post which said the offer in the OP states: '200 points from 2 A-levels', not 'including 2 A-levels'?

You don't highlight things by making them bold; making them bold makes them bold. Muppet.

Uh, because anyone cpmparing what you say to what the OP says can tell it isn't the same, so why would I waste my time? If you're gonna quote then don't make things up.
Reply 43

Sometimes internet arguments make people jawdroppingly stupid.
Original post by Juno
Uh, because anyone cpmparing what you say to what the OP says can tell it isn't the same, so why would I waste my time? If you're gonna quote then don't make things up.

Why don't you spend a few seconds to read the OP, where it says from at least 2 A-levels? It's the third line of the OP.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Juno

The OP's offer says "A minimum of 200 UCAS points from at least 2 A Levels", which could mean the points could come from 2 A-levels, or 3, or 4, but not AS-levels because they are not equivalent. I don't understand why the person you've quoted is making things up because they're reading the exact same page as everyone else.

As I said before, my offer was similar just required more points and when I contacted the uni they said all points must come from A2. The OP's situation may be different, so let's just leave it until they get back to them.
Reply 46
Why don't you spend a few seconds to read the OP, where it says from at least 2 A-levels? It's the third line of the OP.

I have.

Which is why I know you're not actually quoting it when you pretend to have, and why I realise this whole conversation is completely pointless but you don't because you think you're right as you're reading something differently to what's there. But never mind, hey. it's only people's lives you're trying to ruin.
Original post by Juno

Original post by mariah11mariah
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your help.
Basically my offer is -

This offer is subject to you obtaining

A minimum of 200 UCAS points from at least 2 A Levels

including subjects from the physical, mathematical or

biological sciences. Achieve A level Chemistry at grade C or

above.

What I don't understand is if I get c in chemistry (80 points), d in biology (60 points), B in as Ict (50 points) and e in as maths (20 points).
Overall I will have 210 ucas points. Will I get accepted onto my course.
Last edited by mariah11mariah; 22 Hours Ago at 22:59.

Can you really not read that? I put it in pretty colours for you, so it's easier for you to understand. None of the words have been changed if you want to check it against the OP. The including bit means chemistry at C or above, as well as having 200 points from at least two A-levels, of which chemistry can be one of them.

If the OP got a C in chem and a D in bio, they would only have 140 points from 2 A-levels, meaning they wouldn't have met the offer. Even though they'd have points from AS ICT and maths, these would not be included, as they are not A-levels; they are AS levels.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
200 points must be from your two A-levels including Chemistry at grade C (80 points) or above. AS-levels won't count.
Reply 49
It's funny how this has turned into a massive semantic debate. From the natural meaning of the offer, I'd be inclined to say that 200 points must come from 2 or more A levels. However, considering the University is aware of mitigating circumstances, and the fact that he's applying for a Pharmacy course yet they only want a C for Chemistry, suggests to me that they would accept 200 from both As and A2.
Reply 50
Original post by zaliack
It's funny how this has turned into a massive semantic debate. From the natural meaning of the offer, I'd be inclined to say that 200 points must come from 2 or more A levels. However, considering the University is aware of mitigating circumstances, and the fact that he's applying for a Pharmacy course yet they only want a C for Chemistry, suggests to me that they would accept 200 from both As and A2.

Pharmaceutical Science courses are quite competitive as far as I know so they probably want points from the two A-levels (that's a low offer in itself, allowing AS-levels too would make it too easy, surely?)

No disrespect to the OP meant by that, but it is quite low with regards to the course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
You can't tell the difference between highlighted and bold; maybe that's why you can't tell the difference between 'from' and 'including'.

Still, with the people who can't tell the difference between 'excepted' and 'accepted', the people who say 'hence why', and the rest, he's in good company.

I'm with the other person who can't believe that some people are actually going to university. I suppose it's not really their fault though, when teachers don't correct more than two errors on a piece of work, however bad, it is no surprise that grammar skills are so poor.

To the op, get used to being 'judged', it's because of the lack of judging in our schools that so many people leave so badly educated. You will be judged from here on for the rest of your life.
Reply 52
Original post by EKR93
Pharmaceutical Science courses are quite competitive as far as I know so they probably want points from the two A-levels (that's a low offer in itself, allowing AS-levels too would make it too easy, surely?)

No disrespect to the OP meant by that, but it is quite low with regards to the course.

Perhaps, hopefully, they have taken the extenuating circumstances into account.
What is so worrying about this whole thread is how several very experienced and knowledgeable people can find it hard to work out what the university actually means, which suggests to me that universities need to overhaul the way they phrase their offers so that the candidate, who is probably doing this for the first time, can actually understand it.
Reply 54
Original post by GStevens
Still, with the people who can't tell the difference between 'excepted' and 'accepted', the people who say 'hence why', and the rest, he's in good company.

I'm with the other person who can't believe that some people are actually going to university. I suppose it's not really their fault though, when teachers don't correct more than two errors on a piece of work, however bad, it is no surprise that grammar skills are so poor.

To the op, get used to being 'judged', it's because of the lack of judging in our schools that so many people leave so badly educated. You will be judged from here on for the rest of your life.

Who are you trying to criticise here?

You seriously think that people shouldn't go to university because they misread one line? If so, Juno shouldn't have gone because they seem to have got it very wrong.

While I agree people's grammar nowadays is quite bad on occasion I don't see this as a factor that should stop you from going to university.
Reply 55
Original post by mariah11mariah
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your help.
Basically my offer is -

This offer is subject to you obtaining

A minimum of 200 UCAS points from at least 2 A Levels

including subjects from the physical, mathematical or

biological sciences. Achieve A level Chemistry at grade C or

above.

What I don't understand is if I get c in chemistry (80 points), d in biology (60 points), B in as Ict (50 points) and e in as maths (20 points).
Overall I will have 210 ucas points. Will I get accepted onto my course.

You would need BB in the final A-Level grade in two subjects from biology, chemistry and maths.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
What is so worrying about this whole thread is how several very experienced and knowledgeable people can find it hard to work out what the university actually means, which suggests to me that universities need to overhaul the way they phrase their offers so that the candidate, who is probably doing this for the first time, can actually understand it.

The OP has emailed their university for clarification, which is the best thing to do since none of us can agree what it means :wink: Most people seem to disagree with Juno, though, so maybe Juno misread it and tried to insult everyone else to cover it up, I'm really not sure.

It would have been so much simpler if the offer just had a statement at the end saying "AS-levels are/are not permitted as part of the 200 points".
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
The OP has emailed their university for clarification, which is the best thing to do since none of us can agree what it means :wink: Most people seem to disagree with Juno, though, so maybe Juno misread it and tried to insult everyone else to cover it up, I'm really not sure.

It would have been so much simpler if the offer just had a statement at the end saying "AS-levels are/are not permitted as part of the 200 points".

I'm not entering into the rights and wrongs of this - it's far too hot a potato for me, as I am not sure at all what they want. I am very sure, though, that something needs to be done about the weird phraseology universities seem to have adopted with the almost perverse aim of confusing potentially quite stressed and relatively inexperienced people at a difficult time. I find myself wondering if they are deliberately making the offers as obscure as possible in order to use them as a way of managing the numbers come results day, but that would be ridiculous. Wouldn't it?
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm not entering into the rights and wrongs of this - it's far too hot a potato for me, as I am not sure at all what they want. I am very sure, though, that something needs to be done about the weird phraseology universities seem to have adopted with the almost perverse aim of confusing potentially quite stressed and relatively inexperienced people at a difficult time. I find myself wondering if they are deliberately making the offers as obscure as possible in order to use them as a way of managing the numbers come results day, but that would be ridiculous. Wouldn't it?

I really hope that isn't their intention. It would be horrible to be caught out on results day and be told that actually you'd got it wrong. It would save so much time if they wrote it out clearly so there was no way to misinterpret it.

That's one of the main issues of UCAS points I feel, with grades it's so much simpler, you either get AAB and are accepted or you don't. It's much more black and white, but points can come from all sorts of qualifications and add to the confusion.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I really hope that isn't their intention. It would be horrible to be caught out on results day and be told that actually you'd got it wrong. It would save so much time if they wrote it out clearly so there was no way to misinterpret it.

That's one of the main issues of UCAS points I feel, with grades it's so much simpler, you either get AAB and are accepted or you don't. It's much more black and white, but points can come from all sorts of qualifications and add to the confusion.

I agree on all counts.

Latest

Trending

Trending