The Student Room Group

How can I make my application seems more...magical?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Doctor.
I wrote a fair bit about the experiance, but it just didn't work. I honestly tried my best with it :frown:

Well... my point being - I'm confident you've talked alot about the experience, but did you write how this experience may help you in your future career? (i.e. I learned to develop and improve upon my communication skills through constant interaction with patients, etc)

Best of luck in your application this year - you sound very focused on your application this year. Don't let it get to you though - concentrate on your grades first, then your PS/UKCAT - it's all a very step-wise and a systematic process! :smile:

Let me know if you have any further questions!
K2
fairy dust and mention unicorns xxxx
Reply 22
Original post by ironandwine
fairy dust and mention unicorns xxxx

I talked about that during my interview. They're all unicorn fans, go figure :tongue:
Reply 23
Original post by Deep456
Get like a gypsy fortune teller to bless it.
tried, she cursed me instead :angry: lol

Original post by BeanofJelly
It's tricky, your GCSEs also aren't exactly on your side. I think that the best you can do now is to get the best grades you can, stick with your work experience, write another cracking PS, apply again to Liverpool, not sure about Lancaster - I can't see one of them giving you an offer and not the other (at first I was confused cause medicine at Lancaster is called A105, not A102 - which is philosophy and something).

+ Reapply to the schools which originally gave you offers, if they accept resitting candidates with extenuating circumstances.

Then if you've got any more places, it's out of the following (looking also at GCSE requirements):
Aberdeen (who sound very hesitant about resitters)
BSMS (say that first sits can be "set aside" where mitigation exists - sound quite reasonable BUT they also mention "high GCSEs encouraging")
Cardiff (sound hesistant, "exceptional" circumstances required AND they really rate GCSEs, yours would probably count against you)
Edinburgh (not many details on resits, usually better GCSEs than yours)
Hull York (on an individual basis - what does that mean? Not fussy about GCSEs at all, yours are fine)
Keele (look only at those with grades in hand - probably encouraging, ALSO not fussy about GCSEs)
Kings (vague, I doubt it somehow, they don't mention whether resits are taken within 2 or 3 years, they're also vague about GCSEs. I don't know about King's, really)
Leeds (again, "exceptional" BUT good for your GCSEs)
Newcastle (little detail on resits, get impression your GCSEs will count against you)
Nottingham - only if you already applied to them the first time round, probably only if they gave you an offer the first time round, good for your GCSEs
Oxford (the word "extreme" is used and your GCSEs make it v unlikely you'll get a place)
Southampton ("exceptional" circumstances, good for your GCSEs)
St Andrews (little detail, good for your GCSEs)

From that list, I'd say Hull York, Keele, Nottingham (but only if you got an offer from them previously) are your best bets.

Second best: BSMS, St Andrews, Southampton (but they don't interview, interview might be a strong point for you), Leeds

Also - just noticed, Liverpool rank GCSEs and their cut-off is a score of 15. You score 17. Possibly your GCSEs are disadvantaging you with them, I don't really know whether they use just a cut-off, or whether they really rank - look at applicant profiles?
will do, I've always thought the GCSE grades were simply a cut off point. Than for the list! :h:

Original post by Sherbet
Word of advice:
GET OFF STUDENT ROOM. it is stupidly addictive when you have revision to be doing.

You seem to be on here worrying about your application a lot, I've done this before, it just leads to you doing badly in exams and your exams should be your focus.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but your exams won't be for much longer so you should make the most of your time :smile:.

Not harsh at all :smile: I am quite the opposite, I only cone on here during my breaks lol - sort of encourages ne to work harder :lol:
Reply 24
Its all about quality not quantity and how you come across both in your PS and interview. It really doesn't matter if you've done a day of work experience or a few years. The only advantage the latter will have is to show you can stay committed, but this trait you can show in so many other (more fun) ways eg, in your sports/interests over a long period of time. Make sure you show off you're different traits such as:
- leadership
- team playing ability
- intelligence
- confidence yet being humble (nobody wants a show off)
- motivation
- commitment
- interpersonal skills
- passion

Now link all of this to medicine as a course at uni, and as a career as a doctor. THere is no "magic", you just need to hope you're better than 1000s of other applicants. Good Luck.
Reply 25
Original post by Doctor.
Now that the odd title has got your attention, read on! :ahee:

So most of you guys have probably heard me whine on about how I've ruined everything blah blah. I know, my options are limited now but there is still a chance :smile: I will be applying for the 2012/14 UCAS Cycle with grades in hand.

Really would appreciate any criticism/advice on my application!

Work experience:

- 6 months in a elderly care home.
- around 8 months in a hospital, Adult Medicine wards
- Young Enterprise
- avid swimmer
- First Aid certified

Thats about it for voluntary stuff. I didn't manage a single offer this time :frown: what else can I do that will help me look amazing?

It's not just about what you've done it's about how you put it together and reflect on it in your PS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending