The Student Room Group

Spanish or French easier to learn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scribbledoutname
Hope you don't mind me asking, but what do you want to do?x

I don't mind at all! The big dream is the UN but I am open to any kind of NGO or international organisation which deals with human rights :smile:

Have you managed to make your decision on which language? Just go crazy and do both!!:biggrin:
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Thank you very much! :smile: I'll probably post to update my progress once I start working my way through my books.

Bitte tun! :biggrin:
Reply 42
My vote is for French, but I may be a bit biased because I love the language (and I loved it even before I could make sense out of it)! :wink:
Original post by LauraEmilyT
It's fine, I'm happy to give advice. My exams was okay, not overly awful but not really great, I know I've made mistakes but then it's like that with all exams! I prefer it way more than gcse i'm a quiet person and having to speak a lot which u have to do was something I hated, but now there is 7 of us in my class, I feel so comfortable speaking whether what u say is wrong or not (anyway enough about me lol). I dont find grammar too difficult apart from the subjunctive, but its a bit of a memory task with all endings etc. however u don't get examined on grammar as such but u do need to use it correctly & have a general understanding & being able to recognise it, for what I did was learn it, we had a grammar lesson every week 'cos I had 3 individual teachers, was for the exam just learn some phrases with fancy grammar in it which I could then apply to my writing! I do want to take it on to A2, fingers crossed now for results day haha. I got a B at gcse so not a fab result ( wanted an A) a girl in my class gt an A* but I wouldn't say I feel like the weak link. You work on all 4 skill areas, and begin to prepare your oral around exam (the topic discussion, mine was smoking ban)! Are u finished now til sept or do u have to go back to a school? (sorry about the v. Long post, & I'll answer any more Q's)

I like long posts :tongue: I hope my sixth form has a small language class, you get better contact with teachers don't you? Ah ok, so you're not just assessed on grammar alone. Sounds good! You'll do great on results day, I'm sure you will. I will ask you like pm you or something after results day. :biggrin: And yup I still have to goto school. I have 1 maths exam, 2 statistics exams and 2 history exams. But I can't wait until the long holiday; spanish... here I come! What themes have you come across so far?

Thank you so much!
Original post by cocobubbles
I don't mind at all! The big dream is the UN but I am open to any kind of NGO or international organisation which deals with human rights :smile:

Have you managed to make your decision on which language? Just go crazy and do both!!:biggrin:

Oh my. I had a feeling it would be that, which is why I asked as I want to do the same! :biggrin: What A levels do you do? And any idea on which degree you would like to take if you're going to uni?

Lol, I might consider that. :tongue: In all honesty though, I think I'm leaning towards Spanish...
I like long posts :tongue: I hope my sixth form has a small language class, you get better contact with teachers don't you? Ah ok, so you're not just assessed on grammar alone. Sounds good! You'll do great on results day, I'm sure you will. I will ask you like pm you or something after results day. :biggrin: And yup I still have to goto school. I have 1 maths exam, 2 statistics exams and 2 history exams. But I can't wait until the long holiday; spanish... here I come! What themes have you come across so far?

Thank you so much!

Yea 7 of us all girls haha, there's 6 in the French class, in my school tho there's 1 person doing A2 :/ yea u work one to one with the teachers, in pairs, groups & on your own
Aw thanks about the results comment, makes me feel better haha. And yea I'll befriend u on here if u like. The topics, family, health= food, alcohol, drugs, smoking media, communication, sport, daily life= transport, youth, housing, shopping tourism, education & work (does sound a bit dull but is really interesting),
Something I'd recommend do a bit if Spanish over the holiday, look at a bit of vocab etc. It will help u in sept, 'cos I was just like u don't know/ can't remember the basic of things lol! :biggrin: what other subjects do u want to do.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Yea 7 of us all girls haha, there's 6 in the French class, in my school tho there's 1 person doing A2 :/ yea u work one to one with the teachers, in pairs, groups & on your own
Aw thanks about the results comment, makes me feel better haha. And yea I'll befriend u on here if u like. The topics, family, health= food, alcohol, drugs, smoking media, communication, sport, daily life= transport, youth, housing, shopping tourism, education & work (does sound a bit dull but is really interesting),
Something I'd recommend do a bit if Spanish over the holiday, look at a bit of vocab etc. It will help u in sept, 'cos I was just like u don't know/ can't remember the basic of things lol! :biggrin: what other subjects do u want to do.

No problem, I'll befriend you. :tongue: and yes, I will have to do Spanish over the Summer otherwise I will be quite behind xD

I've settled down on taking history, politics, geography or economics and biology at the mo. I might change my mind though cos I keep doing it, but I'm definately taking history. Other subjects I'm thinking about are english lit, chemistry and maths - although I'm not very good at maths! What other subjects do you do?
Oh my. I had a feeling it would be that, which is why I asked as I want to do the same! :biggrin: What A levels do you do? And any idea on which degree you would like to take if you're going to uni?

Lol, I might consider that. :tongue: In all honesty though, I think I'm leaning towards Spanish...

:teehee: no no I'm rather old unfortunately so I have actually just finished my degree! I just regret not taking another language (Spanish) so wanted to help haha!

I can tell you my background though if it might be some help: I did History, French and Sociology to A2, Classics and Psychology at AS too, and I have just finished an LLB in Law and French and am going to start an MA in Human Rights!

If you feel you would enjoy Spanish more, I would definitely go for it, and you can always pick up another language later on! I think I mentioned before but definitely put on some Spanish radio in the background when you get a chance, it really does help you get used to it despite the fact you don't have a clue what is going on!:smile:
Original post by cocobubbles
:teehee: no no I'm rather old unfortunately so I have actually just finished my degree! I just regret not taking another language (Spanish) so wanted to help haha!

I can tell you my background though if it might be some help: I did History, French and Sociology to A2, Classics and Psychology at AS too, and I have just finished an LLB in Law and French and am going to start an MA in Human Rights!

If you feel you would enjoy Spanish more, I would definitely go for it, and you can always pick up another language later on! I think I mentioned before but definitely put on some Spanish radio in the background when you get a chance, it really does help you get used to it despite the fact you don't have a clue what is going on!:smile:

Sorry, my bad! :colondollar:
Wow, interesting subjects and degree choice. I want to do a social science or humanities degree and then do an MA in human rights or international relations.

Yup, hearing is learning, it will help me get used to the accent, the speed etc right? Thanks so much x
I'm currently doing both at A level, but I find French easier, because there's only one verb for "to be" and the Preterite tense confuses the hell out of me, but isn't used in French.

However, I've known people who found the opposite to be true, so it's really a matter of preference. If I were you, I'd do both!
No problem, I'll befriend you. :tongue: and yes, I will have to do Spanish over the Summer otherwise I will be quite behind xD

I've settled down on taking history, politics, geography or economics and biology at the mo. I might change my mind though cos I keep doing it, but I'm definately taking history. Other subjects I'm thinking about are english lit, chemistry and maths - although I'm not very good at maths! What other subjects do you do?

Geography, textiles & art & doing A2 world dev 'cos I did the AS a year early 'cos I did my geography a year early I had to do a subject when I would have had geog! I want to work in some aspect of fashion so.. Where are u from? :smile:

Original post by WillowSummers
I'm currently doing both at A level, but I find French easier, because there's only one verb for "to be" and the Preterite tense confuses the hell out of me, but isn't used in French.

However, I've known people who found the opposite to be true, so it's really a matter of preference. If I were you, I'd do both!

Lol, both GCSEs? Would that not be a massive workload on top of four AS levels? :eek: :tongue:

Btw, does anyone else find the bilingual/trilingual/whateverlingual trait slightly attractive in a person -especially if it's not their mother tongue? :h:
Geography, textiles & art & doing A2 world dev 'cos I did the AS a year early 'cos I did my geography a year early I had to do a subject when I would have had geog! I want to work in some aspect of fashion so.. Where are u from? :smile:

Aw that's cool! I want to work in some sort of NGO for human rights. :smile: I'm from Portsmouth, wbu?
Reply 53
I've studied both languages and personally believe Spanish is much easier to learn.
Spanish all the way, it's much easier to grasp I feel :h:
I did GCSE in both, and found the French GCSE much easier ... for some reason, they always seemed to speak much more slowly on the French listening tapes :dontknow:
Original post by muffingg
I've studied both languages and personally believe Spanish is much easier to learn.

Original post by NomNomNom :)
Spanish all the way, it's much easier to grasp I feel :h:

Any particular reasons why? Thank you for commenting :smile: x
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
I did GCSE in both, and found the French GCSE much easier ... for some reason, they always seemed to speak much more slowly on the French listening tapes :dontknow:

I just listened to some Spanish radio and French radio. My head nearly exploded! They speak sooooo fast in Spanish. :eek:
Original post by WillowSummers

Yea but Spanish there's only 2 verbs for to be: ser or estar

Aw that's cool! I want to work in some sort of NGO for human rights. :smile: I'm from Portsmouth, wbu?

Aw cool, you'll have more of a chance than me at finding work lol, my dream would be to work for a company like mango, there HQ is in barcelona :smile: I'm from a place called Driffield in east yorks nr Hull :smile:

Quick Reply