Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Keeping it cool?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. Normally my laptop is nice and cool, as it should be, but when I start playing a game on it (Starcraft if anyone cares) it can get quite a bit warmer.

It's nothing serious, but I was wondering if there are any little tips to keeping my laptop's temperature. Again, it's not burning or anything, just feels a bit warm sometimes. I try to not pile stuff up next to it, obviously, but are there any nice tips?

Cheers for any suggestions.

Edit: Did some searching, found out about cooling trays, does anyone have a good experience with these things? Or even a homemade solution that takes it off the desk a little. Maybe I'm overreacting, but it would be nice to keep it as cool as possible.

I'l check all the vents and stuff for dust
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Hey everyone. Normally my laptop is nice and cool, as it should be, but when I start playing a game on it (Starcraft if anyone cares) it can get quite a bit warmer.

It's nothing serious, but I was wondering if there are any little tips to keeping my laptop's temperature. Again, it's not burning or anything, just feels a bit warm sometimes. I try to not pile stuff up next to it, obviously, but are there any nice tips?

Cheers for any suggestions.

Edit: Did some searching, found out about cooling trays, does anyone have a good experience with these things? Or even a homemade solution that takes it off the desk a little. Maybe I'm overreacting, but it would be nice to keep it as cool as possible.

I'l check all the vents and stuff for dust
    Well clear out the dust, etc using a air compressed can.

Also getting a laptop cooler can help
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/544297...r/Product.html

There should be cheaper ones,but make sure they are well known and good at cooling.

PS Your laptop is getting hot due to the graphics card, so try to focus cooling on that area of the laptop
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Well clear out the dust, etc using a air compressed can.

Also getting a laptop cooler can help
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/544297...r/Product.html

There should be cheaper ones,but make sure they are well known and good at cooling.

PS Your laptop is getting hot due to the graphics card, so try to focus cooling on that area of the laptop
    Cheers for the reply. Do laptop coolers tend to have a noticeable effect?

And yeah, I realised that when it got warmer playing games on it. Thanks Reckon I'll find a cooler like this in any shops, perhaps a computer shop or something, if I can find one.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Geta cooler, worked wonders for me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Laptops naturally heat up when running intensive applications such as games.
    Download HWMonitor to check what your temps are. They should be no more than 55C on idle and 80-82C when gaming. Anything above 90C for the CPU and GPU is considered too high.

Like Iqbal007 has said, get a can of compressed air and blast the fan exhaust with short bursts - that should get it running a lot cooler. Otherwise it might be worth investing in a cooler or getting the thermal paste re-applied on the CPU/GPU.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Cheers for the reply. Do laptop coolers tend to have a noticeable effect?

And yeah, I realised that when it got warmer playing games on it. Thanks Reckon I'll find a cooler like this in any shops, perhaps a computer shop or something, if I can find one.
    Yeah it should depends where the fans are and the way it works.

Getting one from a shop will cost more and wouldn't be as good

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 4, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.