Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Warrety question

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you buy a laptop/tablet/desktop PC/iPad or netbook, how long does the guarantee last for?

If you brought the product from amazon and the product breaks down, do you send it to amazon customer services? or the technical support area of the product brand?

Do they fix it for free and send it back to you? or is there a charge?

Thanks
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuyUK)
    If you buy a laptop/tablet/desktop PC/iPad or netbook, how long does the guarantee last for?

If you brought the product from amazon and the product breaks down, do you send it to amazon customer services? or the technical support area of the product brand?

Do they fix it for free and send it back to you? or is there a charge?

Thanks
    The guarantee depends, they offer different length but usually at 1 year.
    And it would technically go to the company you bought it from through Amazon.
    And it should be fixed free, though it would cost you to send it back in many cases.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    The guarantee depends, they offer different length but usually at 1 year.
    And it would technically go to the company you bought it from through Amazon.
    And it should be fixed free, though it would cost you to send it back in many cases.
    When does it ever cost to send back? I've never had a laptop cost me to be sent back, ever.

Now you can either contact the retailer, or the OEM. Usually, contacting the OEM directly is easier. However, PC World for instance, usually deals with the technical support and warrenty of the products it sells (from experience).

The retailer is only liable for a set period of time (I think it might be six months), whilst the manufacturer for a year or more.

Consumer law is quite specific in the area as to who is responsible, however the retailer will usually take the product and forward it on, or tell you who/where to contact. Sometimes it's brand specific.

I've sent laptops to HP, Asus and Sony (all brought from PC World), and only one went back through PC World.

You can also extend the period and type of cover you get - although this is usually not worth it.
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    When does it ever cost to send back? I've never had a laptop cost me to be sent back, ever.

Now you can either contact the retailer, or the OEM. Usually, contacting the OEM directly is easier. However, PC World for instance, usually deals with the technical support and warrenty of the products it sells (from experience).

The retailer is only liable for a set period of time (I think it might be six months), whilst the manufacturer for a year or more.

Consumer law is quite specific in the area as to who is responsible, however the retailer will usually take the product and forward it on, or tell you who/where to contact. Sometimes it's brand specific.

I've sent laptops to HP, Asus and Sony (all brought from PC World), and only one went back through PC World.

You can also extend the period and type of cover you get - although this is usually not worth it.
    I said it depends, like a laptop battery we bought, it broke and we had to pay for it to be sent back.

Well we always went back to the people who sold us the product with the 1 year guarantee, talking about general electrical items.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 4, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.