The Student Room Group

is step exam grade boundary really this low?

I just looked through the grade boundary, and it says that 80 out of 120 marks is a level "1", seriously????

that's like nothing right??? For 3 hours, you can just focus on 4 questions then, who cannot do that????

especially plus the fact that all people doing STEP are applying to Cambridge or Warwick, nobody sucks right???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what is STEP ?
Reply 2
I'm calling troll on this one...
and if not, well put it this way, I think I'm on track to get A*A (Maths, FM) and can honestly say I would get less than 10 marks in this exam.
Original post by TTGenius
I just looked through the grade boundary, and it says that 80 out of 120 marks is a level "1", seriously????

that's like nothing right??? For 3 hours, you can just focus on 4 questions then, who cannot do that????

especially plus the fact that all people doing STEP are applying to Cambridge or Warwick, nobody sucks right???

You haven't seen many STEP questions, I take it :holmes:
Have you seen any of the STEP questions?
Reply 5

I have got an A* at maths and will probably get a A/A* at further maths but i will be proud if i can do 2 complete questions of it without practice.

It requires lot of practice to master it, may be you haven't seen any paper of it. It isn't similar to A-Level where you are given straight forward question similar to the ones you have done before.
I'm taking it that you haven't looked at too many questions, I already have an A* in maths and am hoping for an A* in further, and I seriously struggle with STEP, sometimes when I look at the solution I feel like an idiot for not realising what to do, but half the battle with these is actually knowing where to start. It is completely different to A Level. A level usually spells out, or gives a ton of hints as to what method you should be doing. STEP throws you in at the deep end and expects you to work out what is going on with little to no indication of what method you should be applying.

Assuming your not trolling and are taking the exam I'd suggest you work through a lot of past papers in the next few days if you want any chance of passing this thing.
Reply 7
lol. I'm on track for A*A/A* (M, FM) and I find no shame in admitting that I looked at a STEP I (supposedly the easiest) paper and realised I wouldn't be able to do any of the questions without some help and a LOT of practice.

It takes months of practice and determination to be able to even attempt most questions. Not to mention getting the correct answers. Take a look at the answers; one answer is about as long as your average C4 paper.
Reply 8
One does not simply get level 1 on a step paper...
Reply 9
Nah, the cohort of applicants who take STEP happen to be really dumb. This means the ridiculously low grade boundaries each year will continue :frown:
tbh you actually need significantly less than 80 to get a 1.
Reply 11
really???
I did M FM in IB this year already, and I find completing 4 questions in 3 hours fairly easy. Although doing 5 or 6 is quite improbable.
really???
I did M FM in IB this year already, and I find completing 4 questions in 3 hours fairly easy. Although doing 5 or 6 is quite improbable.

good for you...
really???

Yeah good for you. If you're telling the truth then it's not that STEP is easy - you're just really good at it... If not, get lost.
:facepalm2: That is all
I suspect the OP is talking about STEP I.
Original post by ben-smith
I suspect the OP is talking about STEP I.

The OP needs a 2 in III according from their past posts
Well, STEP does have a mythical aura on TSR - I suspect that at least half of the people saying 'I couldn't do a single question' actually could manage at least a 3 with no practice at all - there are always one or two easy questions. STEP's hard, but it's not that hard if you're already applying for maths at a top-10 university.
Reply 18
Original post by CHY872
Well, STEP does have a mythical aura on TSR - I suspect that at least half of the people saying 'I couldn't do a single question' actually could manage at least a 3 with no practice at all - there are always one or two easy questions. STEP's hard, but it's not that hard if you're already applying for maths at a top-10 university.

Maybe STEP I but not II or III you need practise to do them.
Original post by CHY872

errrr wat?
I don't know where you've been but TSR makes STEP look easier. Just look at the results pages over the years and you'll see much more people getting 1s and Ss than in the whole population. in 2007 the modal TSR score was SS.

Quick Reply

Latest