The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

What is university of Surrey like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by walkingbeard
I agree with nennybeans on the accommodation. The Union recently did a survey on the Uni's accommodation which showed both in figures and in comments, that students in the more expensive Band D rooms at Manor Park very rarely went to see people in lower band rooms. These people wanted more luxury, while those already in lower band accommodation wanted lower-costs accommodation. The University should be discouraging that kind class divide but providing lost-cost, high-quality accommodation across the board.

But it's not that easy, is it? If you want a nicer room, it has to be paid for from somewhere. The university can't be expected to provide free housing for every student, so the money has to come from somewhere, in this case the people occupying the room.

And as a second point, surely adding a range of housing is the best thing the university can do? The options are either to have one middle of the road accommodation, which half the people won't be able to afford, and half may want to pay more for nicer accommodation, or to have different sets of accommodation, and let people choose what they want to live in/can afford to rent.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
does anyone have any information about the criminology courses there?
Reply 22
Do not forget that uni is a commercial place, so same as economy class and business class, all of them are flying to same place, but rich people are paying more for better seats.
Reply 23
Original post by lNurl
Do not forget that uni is a commercial place, so same as economy class and business class, all of them are flying to same place, but rich people are paying more for better seats.

wut?

Rich people are paying more for "better" accommodation (depends on what you define as the best accommodation, that is up to the individual. I wouldn't necessarily argue that the £173 a week studio rooms are the "best"), but they're not guaranteed better results or anything merely because they're rich. Everyone is equal at university, and it's down to the effort you put in to your studies - not how much money your parents earn.
Reply 24
Original post by orionmoo
wut?

Rich people are paying more for "better" accommodation (depends on what you define as the best accommodation, that is up to the individual. I wouldn't necessarily argue that the £173 a week studio rooms are the "best"), but they're not guaranteed better results or anything merely because they're rich. Everyone is equal at university, and it's down to the effort you put in to your studies - not how much money your parents earn.

I don't think he was trying to say anything about paying for grades, purely that people who can afford the more expensive accommodation will do so, and the people that can't, wont, as the university operates as a business in that way (as do all other universites).

At least that's how I interpreted it?
wut?

I don't think he was saying that you buy better grades; just better accommodation.

Like the best seats on planes. They are more comfortable, so more expensive, but you get there at the same time as everyone else.

Uni accommodation - you can pay more for a bigger room, or a nicer room, or a studio flat, but you still have to work hard for the degree.
Reply 26
Original post by WordsAndPictures
I don't think he was saying that you buy better grades; just better accommodation.

Like the best seats on planes. They are more comfortable, so more expensive, but you get there at the same time as everyone else.

Uni accommodation - you can pay more for a bigger room, or a nicer room, or a studio flat, but you still have to work hard for the degree.

thanks, i meant exactly that)
Reply 27
Hey guys, which is the earlier date we can move in? And when is the 'result day'? Thanks!
Reply 28
Original post by Julie_T
Hey guys, which is the earlier date we can move in? And when is the 'result day'? Thanks!

Earliest you can move in is 22 September and results are on August 16th, if I remember correctly. Not too long now.
Reply 29
Original post by shevi
Earliest you can move in is 22 September and results are on August 16th, if I remember correctly. Not too long now.

Shall we be waiting from the uni to inform us whether we are entitled to move in on Sat 22 Sep or Sun 23 Sep though?
Or is it up to us to choose one of these dates?
Imma need to book my airplane tickets :colondollar:
Reply 30
Original post by DemHoes
Shall we be waiting from the uni to inform us whether we are entitled to move in on Sat 22 Sep or Sun 23 Sep though?

Saturday or Sunday is up to you. The university will ask you to let them know when you're coming, and will usually try to allocate you a specific time, so they they can stagger people throughout the day, however it doesn't really matter when you turn up, as long as it's within the actual moving in hours :smile:.
Reply 31
Original post by DemHoes

Are you an international student? Contacted the international office as they run a meet and greet programme at Heathrow and Gatwick on certain days and also an orientation week prior to freshers weeks.

[email protected]

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
Reply 32
Original post by Dan1909
Saturday or Sunday is up to you. The university will ask you to let them know when you're coming, and will usually try to allocate you a specific time, so they they can stagger people throughout the day, however it doesn't really matter when you turn up, as long as it's within the actual moving in hours :smile:.

Nice to know, mate, finally I can book my tickets! :biggrin:

Are you an international student? Contacted the international office as they run a meet and greet programme at Heathrow and Gatwick on certain days and also an orientation week prior to freshers weeks.

[email protected]

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X

Yup, I'm a EU student. Once I 've booked my tickets, I'll let them know!
Reply 33
Original post by lNurl
thanks, i meant exactly that)

Original post by Dan1909
I don't think he was trying to say anything about paying for grades, purely that people who can afford the more expensive accommodation will do so, and the people that can't, wont, as the university operates as a business in that way (as do all other universites).

At least that's how I interpreted it?

Original post by WordsAndPictures

Hm. Well - my point still stands that it depends on what you call better. I could even argue that standard band C is "better" than en suite band D.... Money isn't everything...
Reply 34
Hm. Well - my point still stands that it depends on what you call better. I could even argue that standard band C is "better" than en suite band D.... Money isn't everything...

oh dear, there are standards that every accommodation/hotel/motel uses. These standards are used to make bands in the universities as well. Everyone has their own view on which room is better than other, however I'm pretty sure that expensive rooms have their own toilet and shower, whereas low cost rooms shares 1 shower, or room size is a bit smaller. Maybe you can't see the difference, because you used to live in the UK. Usually, international students very picky on accommodation, so there are should be different room types and different pricing.
Reply 35

I don't think anyone has actually been saying that a more expensive room is always better for everyone, that would be silly. All they were saying is that it's not wrong for people who can afford and want to, to pay for a better (in the sense of higher quality only) room. The option of having cheaper rooms as well means that people who can't afford the higher priced ones, or don't feel the room is worth the price premium can take the cheaper room.

For the record I was in band C in my first year, and will be in band C in my final year next year by choice, as I don't feel that an en-suite is worth more to me than £20 a week.
I went and asked Accommodation about the band C/D situation. They were quite candid: it's purely business. Both types of room cost about the same to build. They just make more profit on band D.
Reply 37
Original post by lNurl
I'm doing management degree. It is very good. Overall, it is not hard and very helpful lecturers. It is not just academically good but also professional help with employability.

Fantastic! Thanks for your help - shall take a visit
Not trying to put people off but I thought it was absolutely dead, and dropped out after a few months, and am now at the University of Birmingham and am loving life.

Shops - 7 - There are plenty of little shops about with your standard retailers, urban etc. which are in the Friary shopping centre. But the rest of the shops are smaller ones on the high street, which are quite expensive.

Entertainment - 5 - Guildford is a Town, not a city. I can’t stress this enough. There’s an Odeon Cinema (£14 for a student ticket), an ice skating rink and a bowling alley in a sports centre out of town. If you want concerts etc. then you’ll have to go elsewhere (London). However it usually takes well over an hour to get to London by train, and then add on your time travelling within London to get to where you want to be so bear that in mind.

Social Life - 2 - Rubix is the SU club, which in three words can be described as hot, crammed and sweaty. Drinks are cheap and the music is alright, to be honest I quite enjoyed nights out at Rubix. Apart from that, you have a Spoons (can’t go wrong with a spoons), Popworld (no explanation needed) and Bar Thirteen which is expensive but fun. Apart from these all you have are a few pubs dotted around the place. So basically if you’re on a night out, you have a choice of 4 places, all with very similar music, and all absolutely packed, because there’s nowhere else to go. Talking of Popworld, if you see posters for ‘Raves’, they’ll be in Popworld, not my idea of a rave at all. Although to be fair, the societies and clubs are always doing things and occasionally going off to places which are all pretty well organised and are pretty fun.

Lectures - n/a - depends on the course, but all of my faculty staff were on the ball and were more than happy to go out of their way to help me which is really nice.

Accommodation - 5 - Uni accommodation is of good standard although quite pricey. Whatever you do, don’t end up in Hazel Farm unless you’re looking for a retirement home vibe, an hour away by bus and a small costcutter. Also bear in mind that 2nd/3rd year accommodation is limited as there’s a housing crisis in Guildford, it’s also very expensive as a result of this, so I’d advise on sorting out accommodation for next year ASAP and definitely before Christmas.

Sports - 10 - The Sports Park is without a doubt amazing, with lots of sports clubs doing things all the time and their socials on top of that.

People - n/a - Bear in mind that Guildford is a VERY white, conservative and middle to upper-middle class area, with more private schools than there are postboxes. Whilst the students are mixed in terms of ethnicity, you’ll find lots of people that go to Surrey are from wealthy backgrounds and are looking for a quiet, happy life whilst they knuckle down to get a First. I was none of these things, and have never felt so isolated in my life during my time there. That’s why I ended up in brum, it’s the exact opposite and I love it here. Basically, the type of people that go to a certain uni are the type of people that would be more than happy to have grown up there, as well as see themselves staying there for a few years after.

Safety - 10 - I’m pretty sure I could leave my car unlocked with the keys in the ignition and come back a few years later and it would still be there.

Town Life - For a white, conservative and middle class town it’s a lovely part of the world. Just think about your options, what type of person you are, what type of people you want to meet at uni, and what you want to get up to whilst you’re there. I guess I didn’t think this through properly, and that’s why I ended up dropping out and going to Brum.

To clarify, I’m not trying to be disrespectful to anyone who studies or wishes to study at Surrey. But when I looked around, all I saw was positive things, and it really was too good to be true in my case. But that’s just me, we’re all unique and all we can do is be ourselves. If you’ve read this and like the idea of surrey, then go for it, I’m sure you’ll have a lovely time. But if you want somewhere where there’s lots going on and there’s a mixed student base from a socioeconomic point of view, then maybe think about other places. Just be yourself and take your time, even consider a gap year maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending