The Student Room Group

A2 study leave, how many hours of revision a day?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't do my timetable with times, just simply assign a day to one, two or even three modules or exams. That way I'm not as pressured into doing a set amount of hours in the day, I do the amount I need to of the subjects I need to, because my timetable has worked out when I should be revising certain modules to ensure I cover everything.

That makes sense to me but maybe not to you haha
Reply 21
Original post by Clare1994
Started study leave on Friday and just trying to write up a revision time table.
However no idea how many hours to do a day, I know if i put down too many hours then i'll be disappointed with myself when i don't do the revision i'm meant to, but also thinking if i don't set enough then i'll just get too lazy to do anything anyway.
I'm only doing two A2 exams however as they are law and economics they do take quite a bit of learning.
How many hours a day would you suggest or how many hours of revision are you doing?

I've just done my AS exams, not A2, but yeah (similar enough :biggrin:)

During my study leave, I was doing at least 6 or 7 hours a day most days that I was free. Whenever I panicked and wanted to do more to fit it in (e.g. if I fell behind), I did up to 11 or 12 hours on a couple days. Equally, when I got fed up, there were one or two days where I only did about 3 hours and gave up.

So, I find timetabling never works. I have more of a checklist of things to do over the day or week, but don't timetable specific times to do them.

It's also important to note I had 9 exams. If you only have two, you'll do much less a day. It would maybe help to give a rough idea of when they are? Eg if they are this week and you feel you know little, I'd suggest all day every day. Equally if they are in a few weeks (which I presume they are) then perhaps 3 or 4 hours a day is adequate, although I'd probably go from 9am-2 or 3pm with an hour lunch break, then go out in the afternoons/evenings.

So yeah I'd recommend between 3-5 hours a day if exams are a couple weeks away yet, and especially if there is a lot to learn, as you say :smile: Play it as it comes. If you feel after a few days you are nearly done with the learning then maybe you can cut your hours down.
I do not understand how come people's tests are so late???
Its not fair mine are on the 12th and 13th!!!
and then i have english on the 20th :rolleyes: but that's like our latest in the whole school.
In terms of revision i go all out, because as usual i've left it to late.
One week to revise the whole of geography? lets go :cool:
Reply 23
Started study leave on Friday and just trying to write up a revision time table.
However no idea how many hours to do a day, I know if i put down too many hours then i'll be disappointed with myself when i don't do the revision i'm meant to, but also thinking if i don't set enough then i'll just get too lazy to do anything anyway.
I'm only doing two A2 exams however as they are law and economics they do take quite a bit of learning.
How many hours a day would you suggest or how many hours of revision are you doing?

I aim to do 8 hours a day as a minimum, but i do the sciences :wink:.
My friend does 12-16 hours a day.
The more you do the better your grades are, i'll be happy with AAA, however my friend who does 12-16hours will be happy with A*A*A*.
In the January exams he managed to get 100% in the biology while i managed to get 85% :/.
Reply 24
Original post by Forget that
I do not understand how come people's tests are so late???
Its not fair mine are on the 12th and 13th!!!
and then i have english on the 20th :rolleyes: but that's like our latest in the whole school.
In terms of revision i go all out, because as usual i've left it to late.
One week to revise the whole of geography? lets go :cool:

Could be the exam boards your with?
I know some people have there exams next week but some people in my yr have next to no exams left because i think everyones done english unless prehaps resits and same for ICT.
I have economics on the 20th and law on the 22nd.
Don't count the hours, make the hours count.
Reply 26
Original post by bahjat93
The more you do the better your grades are, i'll be happy with AAA, however my friend who does 12-16hours will be happy with A*A*A*.
In the January exams he managed to get 100% in the biology while i managed to get 85% :/.

12 to 16 hours?!? THAT'S INSANE!!! That would be overkill for me information would not stay in my head that way would just be too much for me.
And glad i don't do sciences haha
I'm hoping for a A in law and B in economics, got A last yr in law and need to basically get a A in the last exam to get one over all but for economics i need quite a high B at the moment to achieve a B overall.
Reply 27
Law takes a lot of take because the course is very lengthy!
So try 5 hours at least...
Reply 28
Original post by aysha.19
Law takes a lot of take because the course is very lengthy!
So try 5 hours at least...

I think law will be okay once i've ordered and typed up my notes as a class we find law a easier subject to cram because once you do have the notes it's not too hard to learn especially if you do a load of past papers.
Reply 29
12 to 16 hours?!? THAT'S INSANE!!! That would be overkill for me information would not stay in my head that way would just be too much for me.
And glad i don't do sciences haha
I'm hoping for a A in law and B in economics, got A last yr in law and need to basically get a A in the last exam to get one over all but for economics i need quite a high B at the moment to achieve a B overall.

It's not very hard to study 8 hours a day, just switch of your phone and READ lol.
Me and my m8 came across these pills onlilne that help you stay focus for long periods of time and they really do work! (I hope i don't sound like a sales agent :rolleyes:). He takes them everyday that is why he can study 16 hours a day :O. I only take them when i have a lot to do :wink:. They also help you remember stuff too
Reply 30
Original post by lou_100

So, I find timetabling never works. I have more of a checklist of things to do over the day or week, but don't timetable specific times to do them.

I've kind of done a mixture like i've set different work for different times like the notes i need to do and stuff personally i think if i didn't put any specific times down i'd just put off work more.
Reply 31
It's not very hard to study 8 hours a day, just switch of your phone and READ lol.
Me and my m8 came across these pills onlilne that help you stay focus for long periods of time and they really do work! (I hope i don't sound like a sales agent :rolleyes:). He takes them everyday that is why he can study 16 hours a day :O. I only take them when i have a lot to do :wink:. They also help you remember stuff too

Those pills sound a bit dodgy to me lol i mean fair enough if they help you focus and remember stuff but i would be too worried over what else they could be doing haha

I smell a troll.

16 hours?

Leaves you with 8 hours.

minus meals leaves you with 6/7 hours.

minus showering/getting dressed/undressed leaves you with 5 hours.

And that's assuming you don't take any breaks...3/4 hours sleep
...:colonhash:

:biggrin:

#aloadofrubbish
Reply 34
Original post by Gallifreylives
You could use your college timetable
As in work the amount of hours you do at school if you're worried about discipline

Or you could use the website get revising where you enter your exam dates and it makes a revision timetable for you with about 4-5 hours a day

I'm on A2 study leave as well and I use get revising
Hope i could help :smile:

I've been using Get Revising and its a great way of organising time effectively. It doesn't exactly give you set times, but it gives you the day broken down into 6 blocks, which i've converted into 1 1/2 hour blocks. all you need to do then is start revising. No hassle what so ever about what to revise when as its already done for you.

To answer the original question, i usually end up doing 4 blocks average. so that works out to about 6 hours a day. it varies as I have other commitments, which is a good thing as it gives me a break. doing sports as well will help give you motivation to keep going, as well as keeping you fit after sitting around revising all day.

:goodluck:
Reply 35
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
I smell a troll.

16 hours?

Leaves you with 8 hours.

minus meals leaves you with 6/7 hours.

minus showering/getting dressed/undressed leaves you with 5 hours.

And that's assuming you don't take any breaks...3/4 hours sleep
...:colonhash:

Original post by Mrkingpenguin
:biggrin:

#aloadofrubbish

We don't really have a stop watch dude, i'm just saying an approximation :P.
Did you get full marks in any of your exams???
Reply 36
7-9 hours per day
Could be the exam boards your with?
I know some people have there exams next week but some people in my yr have next to no exams left because i think everyones done english unless prehaps resits and same for ICT.
I have economics on the 20th and law on the 22nd.

:frown: crapy exam boards!
Good luck with Law, i would have loved to do that for A-level, although it sounds rather difficult. I had to do politics instead which i did not really enjoy.
25 hours a day
We don't really have a stop watch dude, i'm just saying an approximation :P.
Did you get full marks in any of your exams???

I am saying this is not natural or normal for students to revise for over 3/4 of the 24 hour day. I got good GCSEs without revising that amount per day, and im sure A level is the same.

Either your teacher is incredibly bad or you're really bad at actually learning stuff.

Most traditional A levels are designed to not need absolutly loads of content revsion as they are much more skills based.

Quick Reply