The Student Room Group

OCR Civil Rights in America History 12th June

Scroll to see replies

If anyone is interested, someone was kind enough to post some notes for the exam last year. It helped me immensely when I revised the night before the exam....

Reply 21
could someone tell me what the turning points for each topic are pleaseee
Reply 22
Original post by vienna_waits_for_you
Yeah I've got English too! But 6 free days before it so I'll just concentrate on it then I think, I'm forgetting it for the moment. I'm predicted an A... but I genuinely do not feel like that's going to happen right now. I need an A for uni so I'm praying I pull through! You? I'm so disorganised, which I was one of the people who started revising months ago.
Yeah I know what you mean about the facts, but I think as long as you accompany each one with a comparative and keep your argument consistent it might be ok. One hour to write an essay is not long though, I get so distracted so easily!!
Word of advice - do AA's today, learn the leaders and their pros and cons, and rank them in order of effectiveness. Then learn some Supreme Court cases, enough to cover the whole period. Then learn Congress decisions, again enough to cover the whole period. Then, learn all the Presidents in the period, I think all you need to know is if they were good or bad, and a brief sentence on why. My history teacher says it's more 'implied knowledge' in your essays rather than detailed knowledge, because you simply don't have enough time to go into detail whilst covering all that you need to.

Thanks for the advice - would you say that writing essays (with your notes) is the best way to revise for history? I'm getting a bit worried!
Reply 23
Hi guys! Does anyone know, if you take the thematic approach, how many points you're supposed to make (apart from intro and conclusion!) I'm finding it really tricky to write a lot in an hour, think i'm putting too much info in! thank you! + Hi tsveta, i remember you :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by 22DubDub
Hi guys! Does anyone know, if you take the thematic approach, how many points you're supposed to make (apart from intro and conclusion!) I'm finding it really tricky to write a lot in an hour, think i'm putting too much info in! thank you! + Hi tsveta, i remember you :smile:

haha hey i was just thinking about you and this!! how weird, because im just about to write an essay on: How far did African Americans gain civil rights in Constitutional terms in 1865-1877? and I'm REALLY unsure on how to write it thematically, as obviously its mainly focused on legal and political?

in answer to your question, i think its out of 80 marks, or maybe 75, so i would make maybe 20ish, but to be honest i dont think you can put 'too much info' in as long as you constantly compare the info to another thing in the period and DONT WRITE CHRONOLOGICALLY!!!!

are you doing civil rights??
Reply 25
i'm trying to write this essay : How far did African Americans gain civil rights in Constitutional terms in 1865-1877?

it is going really badly!!!!!!! this is what ive got so far:

During this period, African Americans did appear to gain some important civil rights, such as the right to vote, due to the three Amendments to the Constitution and the Civil Rights Act of 1866. It is possible to say that this period was one of the most significant in terms of progress in acquiring civil rights for African Americans, yet it is also possible to argue that……

In terms of legal advances, African Americans gained civil rights

i really dont know how to approach it thematically, does anyone have any ideas, or give me feedback on the pitiful amount i've written so far??
Reply 26
Original post by tsveta
haha hey i was just thinking about you and this!! how weird, because im just about to write an essay on: How far did African Americans gain civil rights in Constitutional terms in 1865-1877? and I'm REALLY unsure on how to write it thematically, as obviously its mainly focused on legal and political?

in answer to your question, i think its out of 80 marks, or maybe 75, so i would make maybe 20ish, but to be honest i dont think you can put 'too much info' in as long as you constantly compare the info to another thing in the period and DONT WRITE CHRONOLOGICALLY!!!!

are you doing civil rights??

Aha that is weird! Oh blimey, was that an actual question? You could talk about how the different federal authorities contributed to the bringing about of legislation, i.e presidents, congress, supreme court, attitudes (general southern racists) as in, talk about how great reconstruction was, but how congress brought it about not johnson and things. i really hate this exam!
How many paragraphs do you usually do? oooh also, are you allowed to write chronologically within a theme? as in in say the presidents paragraph? (yes i'm doing civil rights :smile: )
Reply 27
Aha that is weird! Oh blimey, was that an actual question? You could talk about how the different federal authorities contributed to the bringing about of legislation, i.e presidents, congress, supreme court, attitudes (general southern racists) as in, talk about how great reconstruction was, but how congress brought it about not johnson and things. i really hate this exam!
How many paragraphs do you usually do? oooh also, are you allowed to write chronologically within a theme? as in in say the presidents paragraph? (yes i'm doing civil rights :smile: )

i dunno but at the end of each chapter in our text book it gives questions and that was one of them! thanks for your help....i usually do about 3 (not including intro or conc), you? and no, our teacher says consciously avoid writing chronologically, its a really big thing, im not really sure why and its really inconvenient because my brain works chronologically haha but yeah! and no i did a practise essay and wrote a presidents paragraph and lost marks because i wrote chronologically, waah. :frown:
Reply 28
does anyone want to swap essays?!!!!! PM me!!!
Reply 29
Original post by tsveta
i dunno but at the end of each chapter in our text book it gives questions and that was one of them! thanks for your help....i usually do about 3 (not including intro or conc), you? and no, our teacher says consciously avoid writing chronologically, its a really big thing, im not really sure why and its really inconvenient because my brain works chronologically haha but yeah! and no i did a practise essay and wrote a presidents paragraph and lost marks because i wrote chronologically, waah. :frown:

Ohhh cheers, that so annoying though! i guess its cos we just need to link similar events, not consequetive events! I usually do 3 or 4, but my teacher said the other day that we needed to do 5! which has made me mega worried, as theres no way i can do 5 points and an intro and a conclusion in an hour! I'm about to do an essay now, swap after?
Reply 30
Ohhh cheers, that so annoying though! i guess its cos we just need to link similar events, not consequetive events! I usually do 3 or 4, but my teacher said the other day that we needed to do 5! which has made me mega worried, as theres no way i can do 5 points and an intro and a conclusion in an hour! I'm about to do an essay now, swap after?

yes defs, im about to do one now too - will PM you my email :smile: x
Reply 31
also does anyone know where we can get OCR past papers for this coursE?! went on their website and cant find any for civil rights!!
Original post by tsveta
also does anyone know where we can get OCR past papers for this coursE?! went on their website and cant find any for civil rights!!

Here it is - http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/gce/hss/history_a/documents/
Reply 33
I think it might be really helpful if we all created a list of each president and their accomplishments from 1865-1992? I'm about to write an essay: To what extent was the presidency of Lyndon Johnson (1963–69) the most important turning-point
in the development of African American civil rights in the period from 1865 to 1992?

What do you think? We could all be appointed one president and send it to everyone else, and vice versa?
Reply 34
is anyone willing to read through a couple of my essays and give me feedback??? i have no way of contacting my teacher until monday and my exam is tuesday :frown:
Reply 35
Original post by tsveta
is anyone willing to read through a couple of my essays and give me feedback??? i have no way of contacting my teacher until monday and my exam is tuesday :frown:

Hi tsveta,
I'm also doing this exam next week and I'm willing to read through the essays for you if you'd like?
Reply 36
I'm leaving out revising TU, it's the topic I find the hardest and I'm hopeful it won't come up.
I'm also doing this exam :smile:
Absolutely dreading the paper revised AA's and TU's, started NA's yesterday. Will do Women too but plan to answer the AA and TU questions.
How's everyone else going with their revision? I still feel like I'm not mentally storing all the information... there is so much!
Reply 38
Original post by xoJessicaAnn
I'm also doing this exam :smile:
Absolutely dreading the paper revised AA's and TU's, started NA's yesterday. Will do Women too but plan to answer the AA and TU questions.
How's everyone else going with their revision? I still feel like I'm not mentally storing all the information... there is so much!

I am so worried about this exam!!!.........there is so much to learn - I only started on Monday and am still on AAs! I am probably going to revise all the topics but TUs probably least thouroughly....would probably help if I could spell it....

Do you want to swap essays/notes? PM me x
Reply 39
I am finding this paper really difficult. The exam technique is the hardest does anyone have any tips or essays??

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending