The Student Room Group

OCR Civil Rights in America History 12th June

Scroll to see replies

The way we were taught was :

Start each paragraph regarding theme - so the examiners can see it e.g ''Economically, in terms of African American civil rights...''
For AA - Education, voting and transport
NA - Land rights, tribal rights, education
Women - Political, social, economic
TU - AA, women, Trade union and bargaining rights, working conditions and pay.
But, when you come to the exam, and you just forget it all - ALWAYS do pol, ec, soc - so you're on the safe side :smile:

Only talk about what the question is asking you so if its help or hinder fed gov - that's all they want to know, not other factors.

If anyone wants to take a look at my essays - you can more than happily pm me and I'll send you some. :smile:
I found that planning my essays and highlighting the major events/factors helped alot. My teacher gave us loads of tips on do's and don'ts for structuring, themes and what to include, if anyone wants those - I'll write them on here :smile:
Original post by tsveta
Has anyone written a turning point essay????????

I am trying to write one about the indian reorganisation act but i dont think im doing it right if anyone has written one (doesnt matter what the title is) please please send to me pm me pleeeasee

Hey :smile:
With the Indian tp question - because thats the 1930s, have that as a time period.

So at the start of each new theme - the first thing you talk about would be the 30s and the IRA - and say that the Meriam Report 1928 helped lead to IRA and the Indian New deal (also mention Roosevelt etc) then compare it to other TPs - so the 60s+70s with Red power and self-determination. Pre 1900s - Dawes Act. 40s/50s - termination etc.

Do that for each theme - the easiest ones would probably be land rights, tribal rights and education :smile:
I can't send you mine unfortunately as I don't have a scanner! Hope this helps!

Ps, in your conclusion, remember to take your view on whether you think IRA was the biggest TP (don't use ''I believe... I think that...'' some examiners frown upon it apparantly)
Original post by tsveta
well ive totally just confused myself. because the themes im going to write for african americans are: political, legal, economical, social, cultural, media...... and i thought we were supposed to do that for all the other topics eg native americans but i heard today apparently not?!! does anyone have a list of themes to talk about for the other topics they could share with me cos im SO confused/desperate..

and yeah fed policies, SC, pressure groups could be themes i guess.

Further down the feed - I've posted what my teacher taught us for themes, we found it really useful and easy! Take a look if you need to :smile:
Reply 63
guys whats the difference between trade union and labour rights????????
Reply 64
Original post by tsveta
are you guys revising all the topics??? i think im going to leave out women because i dont have time.....is that safe?

I'm leaving out trade unions because my teacher said she doesn't think it'll come up but looking at this thread, it seems more likely that women will be left out. I don't have time to learn all 4 :frown:
Reply 65
Original post by tsveta
guys whats the difference between trade union and labour rights????????

Trade unions help and enforce labour rights.
Reply 66
gaaah can someone please reade my trade union essay and tell me if ive got the structure right!!! i really need an a in this exam but i dont think im going to get it!!!! :frown::frown::frown:
Is everyone here leaving out a group?
I've done AA's, NA's and TU's... Should I do women?
Reply 68
Original post by xoJessicaAnn
Is everyone here leaving out a group?
I've done AA's, NA's and TU's... Should I do women?

I've left out women too - I don't think I have enough time to revise it! Might read it over though...
Reply 69
In terms of each individual paragraph, how much analysis and time are you spending on each one? i Know length doesn't matter, but i do not want to under write the essay! feedback?
Reply 70
Original post by ollie1994
In terms of each individual paragraph, how much analysis and time are you spending on each one? i Know length doesn't matter, but i do not want to under write the essay! feedback?

It's so difficult to say, some people can write two sides and get full marks, while others get an E. Do you want to swap essays and see how much we have written compared?
Reply 71
I think it is pretty safe to leave out women's rights if you have to leave one.

It has been pushed ever since the new syllabus and thus has come in every paper since but they've asked every question possible now on it.

The only women's rights question I think that they might ask is...

"Assess the view that women played little part in gaining their rights"
Or one on federal government.

African Americans will obviously come up and Native Americans looks very likely.
Reply 72
I was looking at one of the mark schemes and examiner reports and it pointed out that the better candidates for one of the questions on the federal government and AA included information on the Rehnquist Court and how after 1986 it became more conservative.

Does anyone know why it became more conservative? I've tried searching it, but the information is too wordy and confusing.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by AJ_94
I was looking at one of the mark schemes and examiner reports and it pointed out that the better candidates for one of the questions on the federal government and AA included information on the Rehnquist Court and how after 1986 it became more conservative.

Does anyone know why it became more conservative? I've tried searching it, but the information is too wordy and confusing.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Seems quite a complex point for them to request, not one I've come across during this course. However, court became more conservative in the sense that it was less willing to interpret the constitution broadly for the purposes of finding more rights for minorities. Eventually the Rehnquist Court made decisions which actually caused President Clinton to recede over certain affirmative action policies he endorsed, but that was later than '92. Basically, both the Warren and Burger Courts were relatively liberal and were "judicially active" - willing to use the courts to expand rights for minorities e.g. Brown v Board of Education & Swann v Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board. It is typically said that the Rehnquist court were less willing to do so.
Reply 74
Does anyone know the impact of the Sherman Anti-Trust act? Really confused.
Reply 75
Original post by ndx
Does anyone know the impact of the Sherman Anti-Trust act? Really confused.

On the surface it was designed as an anti monopoly legislation. One of its main terms being '...an act to protect trade'. But it was used primarily against strikes that were deemed a 'restraint on trade' (via supreme court injunctions on strikes).

Hope this helps also if anyone wants to essay swap pm me.
Reply 76
Original post by popsoda
On the surface it was designed as an anti monopoly legislation. One of its main terms being '...an act to protect trade'. But it was used primarily against strikes that were deemed a 'restraint on trade' (via supreme court injunctions on strikes).

Hope this helps also if anyone wants to essay swap pm me.

Thanks so much! I have an essay on women if you want me to send you it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 77
Native Americans was the one that didn't show up in January (I sat the exam), so it's logical to expect it to come up this time around. Hence, I'm only revising for Native Americans and Afro-Americans :biggrin:

The question for AAs was pretty simple in January (along the lines of whether Booker T Washington's leadership was most important factor in improving civil rights) so I'm expecting them to pull out with a broader one this time around unfortunately :frown:
Reply 78
Original post by chiggy321
Seems quite a complex point for them to request, not one I've come across during this course. However, court became more conservative in the sense that it was less willing to interpret the constitution broadly for the purposes of finding more rights for minorities. Eventually the Rehnquist Court made decisions which actually caused President Clinton to recede over certain affirmative action policies he endorsed, but that was later than '92. Basically, both the Warren and Burger Courts were relatively liberal and were "judicially active" - willing to use the courts to expand rights for minorities e.g. Brown v Board of Education & Swann v Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board. It is typically said that the Rehnquist court were less willing to do so.

Thank you :smile:
So we're thinking it's definitely gonna be NA and AA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending