Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Testing for arthritis

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My Mum has had bad arthritis since her late 20s/early 30s. She's been on painkillers for as long as I can remember, had drains inserted, osteotomies etc. It affects her knees worst, but also her ankles and wrists.

I think probably because of this I've always been a little bit more aware of my joints. Recently I've started to notice my joints ache quite often, particularly my ankles. My ankles sometimes feel a bit unstable as well, when going down stairs etc. My knees also ache sometimes, when I've not been doing any extensive exercise or anything that would explain it.

I'm not a hypochondriac by any means, but considering my Mum has had arthritis since my age, and the symptoms I'm having, albeit they are more an inconvenience at the moment, do you think it would be possible for my GP to run tests for arthritis? I'm going to feel a bit silly walking in at 26 and asking about arthritis (which is normally seen as an old person disease), but it is something I'm genuinely worried about. Does anyone have any advice?
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    What sort of arthritis does she have? Rheumatoid or Osteoarthritis? The investigations for each of them, not to mention the disease progression and treatments, are quite different. The odd joint twinge here and there is normal, but if it's a persistent problem then it's worth talking to your GP about it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    What sort of arthritis does she have? Rheumatoid or Osteoarthritis? The investigations for each of them, not to mention the disease progression and treatments, are quite different. The odd joint twinge here and there is normal, but if it's a persistent problem then it's worth talking to your GP about it.
    Thanks for your reply, Helenia

To be honest, I don't know, I've never asked what type she has.

I'm probably just being paranoid and over thinking because of seeing my Mum with it since I was small, but sometimes I think I should see the GP to put my mind at rest.

I don't want to waste their time though. I'll maybe go see the GP in a couple more months if it keeps happening.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vohamanah)
    Thanks for your reply, Helenia

To be honest, I don't know, I've never asked what type she has.

I'm probably just being paranoid and over thinking because of seeing my Mum with it since I was small, but sometimes I think I should see the GP to put my mind at rest.

I don't want to waste their time though. I'll maybe go see the GP in a couple more months if it keeps happening.
    It's probably sensible. Certain types of arthitis are more likely to be inherited than others, but it's also worth remembering that you could have another reason for your joint pains (or no reason, unfortunately!) so if it continues to bother them, it won't hurt to see your GP, and it's not wasting their time.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 4, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.