The Student Room Group

How much chemistry is there in medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
When I contacted the Scottish unis, they said I didnt need to resit biology as my nursing degree covered it, but since I was lacking in chemistry I still had to do that. I was under the impression that if my degree covered chemistry then they wouldnt ask me to resit!
I have not used a single bit of my A Level chemistry at all. It probably subtly underpins the stuff you learn later, but honestly, it has been next to no real use at all.

The only reason medical schools ask for it is because it is considered one (if not) the hardest A Levels.
Reply 22
Used a little bit of A Level chem in the pharmacology, nervous and respiratory modules i've had so far. Thing like pH, rates of reactions, Nernst equation etc. However suprisingly enough i've used A Level maths and physics more than chem!
Reply 23
Oh very little thankfully :biggrin:
Imo the most helpful subject to take would be an essay based subject. With the amount of literature reviews and essays you do throughout medschool, good handwritten work would be a key asset to have. This is coming from someone who did 4 sciences for A-level, and in retrospect wishing he'd done History or Eng lit.
Original post by Isometrix
Imo the most helpful subject to take would be an essay based subject. With the amount of literature reviews and essays you do throughout medschool, good handwritten work would be a key asset to have. This is coming from someone who did 4 sciences for A-level, and in retrospect wishing he'd done History or Eng lit.

Really? Maybe it varies from uni to uni but I've only had to do 2 essays this year, and I can't say that doing A level History helped at all. On the other hand, A level Biology was a massive help considering we had to go through papers for the different courseworks.
Reply 26
But Edexcel Chemistry is a joke of an A level - biology and maths are harder for me
Original post by coconut2456
Really? Maybe it varies from uni to uni but I've only had to do 2 essays this year, and I can't say that doing A level History helped at all. On the other hand, A level Biology was a massive help considering we had to go through papers for the different courseworks.

Oh, in my first year there were at least six that we had to do. And it does help with SSCs where it pays to write with good grammar and prose. It was just something that I wasn't used to having done nothing essay based for A-levels.

Well having not done history at a-level I can't say what it's like, but I'd imagined there was a fair bit of essay writing to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending