Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to become a Solicitor.

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zara55)
    I think you misspelled "****".
    Yeah, I wanted to put see you next tuesday but the TSR mods don't like swearing.

This thread title and first post pretty much sums it up: http://www.rollonfriday.com/Training...2/Default.aspx
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Yeah, I wanted to put see you next tuesday but the TSR mods don't like swearing.

This thread title and first post pretty much sums it up: http://www.rollonfriday.com/Training...2/Default.aspx
    Ha, yes!

I'm surprised we're not into Torts already though....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zara55)
    People doing Law often quote TV shows as being a decisive factor, or books. With me it was family influences.
    How about family influences who get their ideas from TV shows or books? Worse or better reason to become a lawyer?

Just curious
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by old glory)
    How about family influences who get their ideas from TV shows or books? Worse or better reason to become a lawyer?

Just curious
    Well in my case, my father is a QC and I have Uncles in the "trade" as well. Do you mean they want you to be a lawyer because it's a good, safe profession, etc?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

Just curious
    Family influence is never going to be a good reason for anything other than planting the seed and you then finding a load of better reasons why you want to be a lawyer through looking into it. I'd hope if anyone answered the 'why do you want to be a solicitor?' question with 'because my parents want me to be one' in a TC interview they would receive a verbal PFO on the spot.

Obvious exception is if it's your parent's firm in which case you might be able to say whatever the f**k you like because mummy/daddy may well have secured the TC for you already.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Family influence is never going to be a good reason for anything other than planting the seed and you then finding a load of better reasons why you want to be a lawyer through looking into it. I'd hope if anyone answered the 'why do you want to be a solicitor?' question with 'because my parents want me to be one' in a TC interview they would receive a verbal PFO on the spot.

Obvious exception is if it's your parent's firm in which case you might be able to say whatever the f**k you like because mummy/daddy may well have secured the TC for you already.
    I was envisaging more along the lines of: parents are working class/foreign - see lawyers on tv - think 'OMG little Jeremy is so smart, he should so be a lawyer', then get upset when the 22 yo Jeremy prefers to have a life outside billing hours for some geriatric fat man
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was envisaging more along the lines of: parents are working class/foreign - see lawyers on tv - think 'OMG little Jeremy is so smart, he should so be a lawyer', then get upset when the 22 yo Jeremy prefers to have a life outside billing hours for some geriatric fat man
    Not sure wanting to make your family due to a view they get from TV is any more or less acceptable than because they want you to be rich/have the social standing of a child who's a lawyer.

With your CV you may be best off applying to somewhere like Slaughters, who are more interested in outright academic rigour than motivation to be a solicitor it seems. But as you point out, I'm sure it can be sole sapping in some areas of practice.

He may not be fat and geriatric, he could be middle aged and high as a kite because he uses coke to relieve the pressure of deciding which secretary to s**g that day.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Being serious again, I have zero wish to be a solicitor, whether at Slaughters (and I know about the £2m/partner revenue and w/e) or anywhere else. If by some miracle I did go, I'd quit as soon as I'd done the qualifying period and go solo.

But how did this thread become about me now?
    Sorry, thought because you'd asked about the Bar elsewhere you were posting in this thread with some interest in soliciti(or)ing.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 11, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.