Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sat fat/sugar/salt - which are the worst in excess?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm an ectomorphy who is trying to put on large weight gain.

I eat currently around 2500 calories a day but still weigh only 68kg at 5ft 11.

I'm now looking to consume 3000+ calories a day for a few months for fast weight gains.

My problem is that generally, eating more means more of everything.

At my age (20) should I be concerned about sat fat, salt and sugar in excess? If so what are the worst?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Salt kills everything the romans never sugared the ground when they sacked a city.
    sugar is basically Human Poison
    fat is good
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GregoryPeck)
    Basically I'm an ectomorphy who is trying to put on large weight gain.

I eat currently around 2500 calories a day but still weigh only 68kg at 5ft 11.

I'm now looking to consume 3000+ calories a day for a few months for fast weight gains.

My problem is that generally, eating more means more of everything.

At my age (20) should I be concerned about sat fat, salt and sugar in excess? If so what are the worst?
    Saturated fat isn't as bad for you as the media would have you believe, go do some research.

Think about what you've said, eating more means eating more of everything, yes, but why, because you're getting bigger and thus can consume more everything. Guidelines are just guidelines for the average person. Ignore them. Aim to eat healthy, avoid processed fats, added salt, added sugar and you'll be grand.

And if not and you did this the worst possible way a few months of eating "unhealthily" isn't going to kill you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Too much salt I would assume is probably the worst sugar the least bad, but I wouldn't eat too much of any. If you want to put on weight then eat more calories, but eat healthy foods, low in salt, sat fats and to some extent refined sugars. Try eating loads of nuts, legumes (beans), dried fruits, lean meat and oily fish which all can be quite calorific but still healthy. I suppose you could up your carb intake but with naturally skinny eating more carbs may not be enough.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sugar.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    sugar, salt, sat fat.

but this is meaningless when we dont know what you mean by excess.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sugar. Artificial sugar is the worst.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sugar. Saturated fat isn't even bad for you (inb4 negs).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UPPSY)
    Salt kills everything the romans never sugared the ground when they sacked a city.
    sugar is basically Human Poison
    fat is good
    It's funny that the only informed person in this thread got a negative rating.

I would advise people to simply type 'sugar poison' into Google. Happy reading.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you avoid processed foods, then you should have no worries with regards to salt.

Saturated fat is not bad for you.
    More than half of your cell-membranes are made of the stuff, its usual animal sources contain huge amounts of vitamins like K2, A, D...
    also your body stored excess carbs as saturated fat, that the body can use as an energy source.
    Saturated fat is related to cholesterol (something that our body makes, an is vital to normal fuctioning), that has been blamed for cardiovascular disease -- but there is no correlation between total cholesterol and CVD. Cholesterol particle sizes can give some extra information, but even that cannot be used to draw direct conclusions.
    A very thorough article, with links to studies:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/satur...#axzz1yQvVjJzG

Sugar...or should I say carbohydrates (glucose, fructose and sucrose).
    Once again, I would advice trying to eat as cleanly as possible, that way you avoid all the hidden sugars in processed crap.

To up your calories, I'd say that you should eat clean and
    - make sure you get enough protein and fat (the body needs fat to metabolise large amounts of protein properly) from good sources like all meats and seafood (grass-fed and free-range stuff usually have way more micronutrients and better fat-ratios, but if you can't buy them, go for relatively lean meats, and get your fats from other sources)
    - get good fats from grass-feb butter (Kerrygold is relatively easy to find), avocados, coconuts (coconut milk, cream, the oil especially can be used for cooking and has a mild taste), olive oil, fatty fish etc.
    - eat fruits in moderation, and try to get most of your carbs from vegetables and starchy stuff like sweet potatoes, yams, squash and other roots.
    - nuts are a good source of fats and protein, but don't go crazy with them, they have some antinutrients and a little too much omega6&9s.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahahaha, sorry I forgot that apparently logically explaining and having scientific back up for your opinions is frowned upon here on TSR.

Also liked to add that the sodium-potassium balance is more important than overall sodium levels. Same with many other nutrients and minerals, like calcium and magnesium.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can somewhat counter eating too much salt by drinking more water, but your water retention will be higher so you'll keep a bit of water weight. It will be healthier than more salt and less water though.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.