Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Symptoms, what should I do?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I few questions to run by you...

I've been thinking about how much fluid I intake daily, I range from atleast 3-8L of fluid per day, this usually, during college days is about 3L water and about 1-2L of Soda. I've just started working at McDonalds, and the week before I started, I was consistently thirsty, as in, I must of drank about 10L of water through tap water that day, and it's been like that, for about a week, maybe two now.

I feel quite tired after doing very little and sometimes I find it hard to even get the effort to do things, I'm slightly overweight, my figure isnt "that bad", but BMI says i'm borderline obese with my 5.7ft and 13.8st figure.

I've spoken with mam about this and she seems to think I may have diabetes, but would this just of suddenly came on? Last year I had "suspected" chrohns disease and lots of bloods were taken, so this would of flagged up in "full counts" if there was any "abnormalities" in my blood sugar right?

I do also find that I tend to go to the toilet atleast once or twice at night, usually just before bed (it's a force-of-habit from when I was younger) and when I just get up. The odd time i've had to get up and go during early hours.

Can somebody give me an insight to this, and how I might be able to approach a doctor regarding this?

On another note, I've also got this extremely bad back, my upper back to the right side(slightly) seems to really hurt, after doing very little, I have ALOT of pain, it seems to hurt more when I take a deep breath in and it is a dull pain. I have tried co-codamol, which helps slightly, and i've put "deepheat" on to help ease it, I sit upright at my desk during any computer times and I usually sleep around 8-hours a day in a standard posistion for a teenager (everywhere? :P)

I've found that if I try to stretch my back by pushing my shoulders forwards, for more than 5 seconds, when I release, I get this searing pain all over my upper back which usually leaves me either releived for a few moments or in total agony for an hour.

I'm certainly going to the docs on wednesday, but I would like to know what i might be in for, and if there's anybody who can shine a light onto my queries!

Thanks,
    Chris.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I asked for my blood glucose to be checked at the doctors a couple of weeks ago because I was extremely thirsty all the time and found I was having to take naps in the daytime. It turns out I am diabetic. It's worth asking for it to be checked, if not just for peace of mind
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sally <3 Howl)
    I asked for my blood glucose to be checked at the doctors a couple of weeks ago because I was extremely thirsty all the time and found I was having to take naps in the daytime. It turns out I am diabetic. It's worth asking for it to be checked, if not just for peace of mind
    Thank you for the swift response, might I ask what this means for you? Do you need to take meds, Insulin, or anything?

I'm a regular gym-goer, but obviously that wont help if my glucose levels are stupid.

Thanks,
    Chris.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey Chris,

Advice would definetly be to go to your local GP and check things out. Being a realist here: you need to nip anything in the bud before it gets too much for you to handle. It will put your mind at rest once you know that something is wrong.

When I was 14, I was falling asleep in school and was getting chest pains. I only told my mum at 15, and when I went to DR, I had to have an MRI and after I found I had Tachycardia. I still have it and Im 19. Its mild though! But if I had gone to DRs as soon as I felt awkward, I couldve probably lessened the severity of the pain at the time

Just seek medical help, as its the only way. We on TSR aim to advise you, but we arent doctors I hope this helped you.

Nash
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Or check out Boot's symptom checker?

http://www.webmd.boots.com/symptoms/symptomchecker
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nash_4_lyf)
    Hey Chris,

Advice would definetly be to go to your local GP and check things out. Being a realist here: you need to nip anything in the bud before it gets too much for you to handle. It will put your mind at rest once you know that something is wrong.

When I was 14, I was falling asleep in school and was getting chest pains. I only told my mum at 15, and when I went to DR, I had to have an MRI and after I found I had Tachycardia. I still have it and Im 19. Its mild though! But if I had gone to DRs as soon as I felt awkward, I couldve probably lessened the severity of the pain at the time

Just seek medical help, as its the only way. We on TSR aim to advise you, but we arent doctors I hope this helped you.

Nash
    Thank you Nash for that answer, I do understand this, but getting some form of "advice" from peers is always reassuring, knowing that i'm not the only one with these symptoms, I also wanted to get some insight into this, maybe from personal, or distant experience.

Thanks anyhow guys, I'll see a doc on Wednesday.

Thanks,
    Chris.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eastonch)
    Thank you Nash for that answer, I do understand this, but getting some form of "advice" from peers is always reassuring, knowing that i'm not the only one with these symptoms, I also wanted to get some insight into this, maybe from personal, or distant experience.

Thanks anyhow guys, I'll see a doc on Wednesday.

Thanks,
    Chris.

Yes I completely understand Chris You may have Iron deficiency anaemia. Either way, it doesnt sound serious Get it checked out jus to be safe

Hope all goes well for you x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've spoken with mam about this and she seems to think I may have diabetes, but would this just of suddenly came on? Last year I had "suspected" chrohns disease and lots of bloods were taken, so this would of flagged up in "full counts" if there was any "abnormalities" in my blood sugar right?
    Hi

Type 1 diabetes typically comes on very quickly over the period of a couple of weeks to a couple of months. It gets worse very quickly, and if it is left too long before getting help it can lead people to being admitted to hospital. As it comes on so quickly it wouldn't have shown up in your tests last year.

In terms of tests being normal a year ago, a lot can change in a year, even in 6 months. Something that didn't show up then might show up as abnormal now. It could be that something that they didn't test for might be abnormal now (because it wasn't one of the tests required before).

Whatever it is, it isn't normal. So best thing to do is go to your GP with these symptoms that you have mentioned here and they will tell you what happens next (eg. blood test).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the swift response, might I ask what this means for you? Do you need to take meds, Insulin, or anything?

I'm a regular gym-goer, but obviously that wont help if my glucose levels are stupid.

Thanks,
    Chris.
    I have to cut out all sugar that isn't naturally in food so sweets, chocolate, fizzy drinks etc... Have a healthy diet and exercise. I'm type 2 so I have a medication called Metformin which I have to take. It's quite a bit to take in at first but I'm starting to adjust to the lack of sugar and my glucose levels have lowered a bit so I'm feeling better I wouldn't worry about it until you see a doc though, increased thirst can be a symptom of other things as well but as far as I know it isn't a symptom of anything too serious.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I few questions to run by you...

I've been thinking about how much fluid I intake daily, I range from atleast 3-8L of fluid per day, this usually, during college days is about 3L water and about 1-2L of Soda. I've just started working at McDonalds, and the week before I started, I was consistently thirsty, as in, I must of drank about 10L of water through tap water that day, and it's been like that, for about a week, maybe two now.

I feel quite tired after doing very little and sometimes I find it hard to even get the effort to do things, I'm slightly overweight, my figure isnt "that bad", but BMI says i'm borderline obese with my 5.7ft and 13.8st figure.

I do also find that I tend to go to the toilet atleast once or twice at night, usually just before bed (it's a force-of-habit from when I was younger) and when I just get up. The odd time i've had to get up and go during early hours.

Can somebody give me an insight to this, and how I might be able to approach a doctor regarding this?

I'm certainly going to the docs on wednesday, but I would like to know what i might be in for, and if there's anybody who can shine a light onto my queries!

Thanks,
    Chris.
    This sounds like many of the symptoms I had prior to diagnosis with type 1 diabetes albeit the weight issue. Obesity/overweight has a lot in common with type 2 diabetes that is usually diagnosed to those who are either over 40 or have weight issues. Type 1 diabetes, I LOST loads of weight. I had the toilet issue during the night too as well as constant thirst and tiredness. One more symptom I suggest you ask someone to check for you (as weird as it is) is your breath. If it smells like a pear-drop, chances are you're diabetic.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 5, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.