Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

so....uni first yrs....HOW THE **** YOU TAKING STUFF BACK HOME!-6pillows,weights,omg

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Between the years, since my family moved away from England, I became quite reliant on hiring a standard car for a day, driving all my stuff to a friends house and then, when back from the middle east, hiring one again and doing the reverse to a new place.
    If you can drive, obviously that's a viable option but if not..you'll have to rely on either a friend to help, your parents, or fork out for the Man & Van - but do be careful with the latter, quite a lot of horror stories regarding them.

I did consider leaving it in storage those years, but it can be expensive depending on the city and how much room you need.

My advice would be to start being harsh and get rid of the clothes you don't wear, the folders you might not need and so forth. The end of my 4th year was incredibly difficult, must've thrown away over a hundred quids worth of stuff in the end - just couldn't fit it all in the car.. and the car was an estate!
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I ended up needing to make three trips in my car to get everything home. I didn't live all that far away though so it wasn't that bad, and I did it over the course of a couple of weeks. Price up how much it would cost to get a taxi, as some will do deals if you live a long way away, might be cheaper than having to pay for several train tickets.

OR if you have any friends who can drive, be like "wanna come for a night out in my uni/home town? (depending on where they're from) and sneakily fill the back of their car with crap.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Storage is a good idea - flexistore.com is an example. There are various storage companies that target students, and they come and pick up your stuff, store it over the summer, and deliver it to your new house come September. It's useful for all the things you're never going to need over the summer - the cheese grater, the six pillows, the laundry basket etc.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't, I just put it straight in my new house.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teabo)
    Between the years, since my family moved away from England, I became quite reliant on hiring a standard car for a day, driving all my stuff to a friends house and then, when back from the middle east, hiring one again and doing the reverse to a new place.
    If you can drive, obviously that's a viable option but if not..you'll have to rely on either a friend to help, your parents, or fork out for the Man & Van - but do be careful with the latter, quite a lot of horror stories regarding them.

I did consider leaving it in storage those years, but it can be expensive depending on the city and how much room you need.

My advice would be to start being harsh and get rid of the clothes you don't wear, the folders you might not need and so forth. The end of my 4th year was incredibly difficult, must've thrown away over a hundred quids worth of stuff in the end - just couldn't fit it all in the car.. and the car was an estate!

Yes, for student moves a man and van is a good and easy way to move your stuff back home. Saves a lot of hassle and if you can get a few mates together all going to the same area of the country you can share the van so it works out a lot cheaper than hiring a man and van just for yourself. I too have heard some horror stories and there do seem to be a few "Del Boy man and vans" out there especially in London and the big cities but if their website looks professional (ie not riddled with bad spelling!!) you should be ok. We hired Andy Thompson Man and Van to move our student stuff down from uni at Edinburgh and Glasgow to London and he was a top man Google "Andy Thompson Man and Van" and you'll find him somewhere
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My mum reckons she's gonna need to hire a van due to the amount of **** ive built up this year.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 20, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis have the poshest students?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.